Irabrai's Word Bearer Chosen Squad

Irabrai

Hey guys. After some months of painting up my Blood Guard army, and doing not alot else, especially in regards to my Chaos army, i've started a new "project" - A squad of Chosen Word Bearers to run with my Thousand Son force.

It'll consist of 10 Chosen, with a melta gun, and will be lead by an Aspiring Champion - the guy underneath, and will also have an Icon of Chaos Glory - cant really see them worshiping any of the "Big 4 Gods".

When payday comes next week, i'll be getting some of the Word Bearer shoulder pads, as my free hand isnt that good, but in the meantime, i'll just be painting up to the point that i am with this guy now, as well as doing non padded arms as well.

This guy isnt washed or inked or highlighted, but please show him love - if you dont he'll spear you and add to the skulls on his backpack!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/145/5/1/wip_word_bearer_by_irabrai-d512ce0.jpg

(btw, the red "dot" at the top of the hook on the right hand side of the pole is infact a drop of paint from the background tile)

Looking good buddy, will obviously look even better once its highlighted and washed. I like the contrast with the black mouth grill, is this staying black? Lots of trophies - nice!

So is the guy that will have the power mace?

I Would recommend more than one melta gun for the squad. As they can infiltrate, they are good at getting close to the enemies armour early in the game , so make em count, if I remember correctly they can have something like 4 melta guns?? Are you doing the one squad of Word Bearers or is this the start of something much bigger? Always loved the Word Bearer background fluff. Looking forward to seeing the whole unit. Nice ,Well done buddy.

At this moment in time, it'll just be a 10man squad of Chosen, but then again...It might expand. Seems like everything im painting right now is red - I dont mind about that really, its my favorite colour. But painting a bit of blue is a nice change every so often.

He's coming along well from the looks of it. What're you planning on outfitting the squad with?

I'm going to have to send you a pm to tell you that. Im of the old knowledge passed down to us by Sun Tzu which says

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.

On the basis of that - and the fact that I play Sven a lot, I'm not making it obvious till i face him for the first time :P

Have made some progress. I've got 2 more guys to the same point as the Champion that i've shown above, with one this far:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/150/a/5/word_bearer_2_by_irabrai-d51map0.jpg

Only thing thats missing is a shoulder pad, which is on order atm :D

Hope you like him.

wot r u like! You should play Alpha Legion with all this subtifuge.

Though looking good mate. Still got washes and highlights to do though yeah? Are you going to cover their armour with scripture? That will be awesome. Think its needed with the Word Bearers. You got a small tidy up to do on the Chaos arrow on the bolter, though you probably already know that.

I still think this unit will be Melta heavy! ( Note to self, start painting unit of scouts with melta gun.)

Just realised we havnt fought for the Glory of Chaos on the same side yet. Have to remedy that.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing them finished.( and in my gun sights) .............mmmm Now where is my old copy of "The Art Of War".

wot r u like! You should play Alpha Legion with all this subtifuge.

Though looking good mate. Still got washes and highlights to do though yeah? Are you going to cover their armour with scripture? That will be awesome. Think its needed with the Word Bearers. You got a small tidy up to do on the Chaos arrow on the bolter, though you probably already know that.

I still think this unit will be Melta heavy! ( Note to self, start painting unit of scouts with melta gun.)

Just realised we havnt fought for the Glory of Chaos on the same side yet. Have to remedy that.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing them finished.( and in my gun sights) .............mmmm Now where is my old copy of "The Art Of War".

He has been washed and highlighted actually, Its just not that obvious. I know about the bolter arrow, and I'm thinking of doing "scribble" lines on the torso of this guy.

You may be right, you may be wrong in regards to how they're armed. Might even do them with 4 pairs of lightning claws!

I've got a copy of The Art of War around here somewhere, do you want me to lend it to you?

• 2 weeks later...

So...more work done on them...

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/162/6/b/4_word_bearers_by_irabrai-d5326z2.jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/162/5/5/word_bearer_icon_bearer_by_irabrai-d53271j.jpg

And contrary (typo?) to what i've previously said...a prelude of whats to come. And be kind, its my first attempt at making a plasma gun "glow"

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/162/8/7/word_bearer_plasma_gun_by_irabrai-d5327m1.jpg

Wow, I really like the red you have achieved on these guys! Do you mind sharing the recipe? The whole squad is looking really nice.

Ps. you should think about entering the E Tenebrae Lux challenge if you haven't already.

I'm looking forward to seeing more :tu:

Wow, I really like the red you have achieved on these guys! Do you mind sharing the recipe? The whole squad is looking really nice.

Ps. you should think about entering the E Tenebrae Lux challenge if you haven't already.

I'm looking forward to seeing more :P

Its actually just Army Painter Dragon Red spray, then Vallejo Gory Red, then another dragon red as a highlight, then nuln oil as a wash.

Thanks. Looks good. I haven't had any experience with either army painter or vellejo but i've been hearing plenty of good things. It has given you a really nice solid finish. I might have to try some paints from those brands.

The Vallejo stuff is good, tho im not too fond of their metalics, so i've returned to "good ol' boltgun metal". I only really picked up the army painter as a quick spray paint, and im now using it as a highlighter as well. Cant really fault either tho, but off the top of my head, the Army painters are just a spray and a touch up paint in the same colour as well off the top of my head

Impressive brother! Very impressive! Looking forward to seeing more as you go along!

~BtW

The likelyhood is, there will only be another 6 Word Bearers, and then a rhino as well. Maybe I'll make a Dark Apostle/Lord as well, and give him some huge maul/crozius. I dont know.

• 1 month later...

Change of plans.

What with 6 edition coming out - and contary to what i'd previously said to certain people i know; i will be going 6th edition, as well as playing 5th edition with 3 of the armies i have (my Blood Guard, Thousand Sons and my Imperial Guard battalion), this will in fact become a full blown Chapter (Maybe, at least a full army suitable for 1500 to 2000 point). That being said, the 10 Word Bearers that i'm currently doing will still act as a squad of Chosen for the Thousand Sons, and in the Word Bearer army i'll be making.

An obvious plan is to wait for the 6th edition AOBR equivelent box to come out, which should be sooner rather than later, and i've got a few things that i can still paint up before hand, I'm only on the 8th Chosen, so i've got a few more to paint for them - slowed down a bit due to doing some more Loyalists, but after the 10th man, I'll probably get another box and use them as normal CSM's, or do a couple of loyalist things while waiting for the aobr equiv box + Codex.

The likelyhood is; depending on rules and what models are around for Chaos 6ed, is:

AOBR Equivelent

1x Defiler

Some Obliterators, not the GW ones, some found Here (Clicky!) They look Soo much better and similar price!

More Marines, rhino's et all

Predator (or Predators...)

Word Bearer FW Dreadnought (Maybe)

GW Chaos Lord #2 (I think it is, guy with Axe in his right hand and plasma pistol) (This + Dread depend on whats in the box)

Cultists...

Might change tho obviously.

I'm a big fan of the Audio book Oath of Moment, as well as Know no Fear, and the plan of sending in Cultists first sticks very much to the whole Word Bearer philosophy, so might just do that :lol:

Next few months are vital. Cant wait to see what comes out for the Traitor Legions ;)

The first outing of the Chosen squad will be happening in a few hours, and I'm looking forward to it.

However, due to a mistake ive made, ive only got 8 of them at the moment, but it is a start. Due to "luck" it always seems; for myself and the guys i game with, that new models always fail in their first outing, but nonetheless it'll be good to get some action for them, and will take pictures of them on the battlefield; which should be up either tonight or tomorrow at some stage.

I'm also thinking of getting a squad of havocs into the army; although it will be after the new 'dex that i'll be adding to anything; at least anything non traditional CSM squad. The plan will be to get another box of CSM's, and a box of Devastators; more choice of weaponry in the box (8 weapons over the 4 in the Havoc box), and it'll also bolster my BA army, and to use the CSM box for torso's, legs etc, and spikey bits to make the Havocs look more Chaos than Loyalist, and it'll also mean that i'll have the extra bods to make the chosen squad a full 10man.

Should look better in my opinion than the Havocs that are available at the moment, but we'll see. If GW make a Havoc box similar to what the Devastators are, the plans might just change, for the cost to buy the havocs with the lack of diversity (or; alternatively, too much diversity) its more sensible to get the Devastators.

Pictures will be posted soon of tonights up and coming battle (probably only the Chosen mind...)

My first outing with a squad of Word Bearer chosen. They came on the flank that i wanted them, popped the rear of a rhino, then dished damage out on the Whirlwind, and then got cut down by some thunderwolves, but did what they needed to; and im surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Took 3 pictures, one before destroying the rhino, one after shooting, and then one where they're engaged in combat with some grey hunters.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/214/b/c/word_bearers_appear_by_irabrai-d59hzrj.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/214/b/3/word_bearers_again_by_irabrai-d59i1b8.jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/214/c/8/word_bearers_and_grey_hunters_in_close_combat_by_irabrai-d59i1f2.jpg

Did also do some damage to the Whirlwind, (which was then removed as the owner had to leave) shot a solitary Salamander (was originally an Ultramarine) and then got charged by Thunderwolves and died.

Normally, new units do badly, but this didnt, appeared on the flank i wanted - thankfully, the other flank it would have been a case of running towards an objective, and then got their points back quite easily.

• 2 weeks later...

And the "finished" squad - Though i might add some of the spikey bits on afterwards to make them appear more veterans than normal CSM, but depends on what the new kits are like.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/228/6/f/word_bearer_chosen_squad_by_irabrai-d5b5f4r.jpg

And a close up on Chiss head - Attempted the Daemonic/Haunted face tutorial on here, and this is what i came out with; I like it, and will do it a bit more often. Given theres a guy with Golden Skin - ala our Lord Lorgar, it gives the view that not all the Word Bearers originally came from the same planet; a nice bit of diversion.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/227/d/0/word_bearer_chiss_by_irabrai-d5b5fad.jpg

Hope you like them

• 1 month later...

I've been very very lax recently in updating this, and for that I apologize...I guess...

I do have more models, as previously said, this is turning out to be a full army and not just a chosen squad as i intended for it to be. Here are some of them, with more coming soon.

2 Cultists (Only ones painted as of this moment...)

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/282/5/5/cultists_by_irabrai-d5h9pzq.png

(I dont like the idea that they have to all be painted in the same way, so one is in urban camo, and another in leather armour, they wont have been picked up from the same place so who cares!)

Chosen Champion (I guess)

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/282/d/2/chaos_dv_chosen_champion_by_irabrai-d5h9pu7.jpg

Hellbrute:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/282/f/5/hellbrute_by_irabrai-d5h9pq4.jpg

I kind of wanted to get the same look on the HellBrute as i did on "Chiss" Didnt quite work to the same standard, but I like it and isnt that all that matters?

Hope you guys like them. Next in the line for painting is more cultists and more chosen - rather obviously...but also have the new Dark Apostle, and also a squad of Khorne Berzerkers.

• 3 weeks later...

So...Progress.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/301/6/9/word_bearer_daemon_prince_by_irabrai-d5j7xkn.jpg

My scary blue Daemon Prince. For all intents and purposes, he is finished, tho i might look for a spare plasma gun and drop it somewhere on the base. There is a reason for this. In a Carnament battle (Mixture of Carnage and tournament...but its Necromunda style games for Chaos using the 6th edition rules) My plasma gunner (the blueish skin one) killed my opponents Chaos Lord in overwatch, and as using the boon table for all kills, missions completed etc, he turned into a Daemon Prince (Rather fitting really.) In a second battle, this time against my fellow Sons of Lorgar, another of my CSM shot and killed a Dark Apostle, and became a Spawn...

I'm now painting something that I've NEVER painted before, despite being into the hobby (i reckon i started about 15 years ago, but did have a few years break before my friend Mark convinced me to start again...) And that is, a squad of Khorne Berzerkers. There is one difference, they'll mainly be painted as Word Bearers, only the Khorne logo, chains and teeth on the weaponry will be brass, and the left shoulder pad will be the Word Bearer one.

Finally got around to painting up my first Khorne Berzkerer! (After approximately 15+ years of being a Khorne fan...)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/307/d/a/word_bearer_khorne_berzerker_by_irabrai-d5jup4u.jpg

Picture finally taken yesterday morning, half due to how dark it is in the mornings, and getting in from work tired and going all but straight to bed. Hope you like him!

Archived