Small Scale 40K

Dirinel

Hi all.

I wanted to show you all an interesting idea that our gaming group developed during the last 6 months. What we managed to achieve is a radical reduction in dimensions of the standard Warhammer 40.000 into a much, much smaller version, using the easily available miniatures for Epic Armageddon.

There could me more to say, but everything is pretty much already in the website, which is mostly pictures in the gallery.

http://sites.google.com/site/pocketw40k/home

The idea came up to other people already in the past, but since there was no unified or complete source of information on how to make it, we built the website along with our armies to let everyone enjoy.

If anyone picks up the idea and tries it we'd be very glad to put some of his pictures on the website too. All comments and opinions are much welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
There was a brief article or maybe it was just an editors note/picture in White Dwarf years ago talking about just this. The guy they mentioned had his set up with magnets or pins though so he could play in the car on long road trips.

We were told that it was the issue 213. The board was made of cork and the miniatures had pins underneath. It has also been made for other games, like Space Hulk. The difference with those articles is mostly that those works were optimized for very old editions (2nd or so), and as such were simply not suitable anymore for the new game systems.

Also, there was simply no information on how one can make the set by himself.

Some people have already started picking up the idea, and of such people we can only hear positive feedbacks. Looks like Pocket likes the most to old gamers that gave up on Warhammer due to lack of room/time/money.

• 3 months later...
This looks like good stuff! I'm not sure if I'll actually be doing it anytime soon (I've got a list of things I need to try, and this won't be at the top for a while), but I just wanted to show support for something that looks great. Keep up the good work, friend! :rolleyes:

This is awesome! I remember reading WD213 (if that's where that article is), and I'm sure I've got a copy somewhere at home featuring this idea. Great that you guys have recreated it and made it your own all these years on! I've got so much unused Epic lying around from its early days, I love the prospect of creating a micro-scale version of my existing armies to introduce the game to friends. The thought never occurred to me.

Brilliant, and I can imagine entire 2000pt armies can fit into a couple of baggies to go into one pocket.

Cracking work on the Talos by the way, can't believe it's that simple.

when i used to go to the oxford circus Gw in London there was a guy there who had one a pocket 40k setup and had converted a commander culn in terminator armour for it - i still remember him saying there were 7 different pieces to the model. his method was a metal tile for the board and 3mm (i think) round magnets as bases for models.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big news this week!

The whole Pocket Warhammer website has been redesigned to fit better with the increasing amount of material. You can find all the relevant news, and a log of all the changes at the bottom of the home page.

Home

In addition to this big deal of changes, we also decided to publish probably the most amazing tutorial so far! Check out the building process of a 6mm Stormraven.

6mm Stormraven

Enjoy!

Major support for your idea! Me and me friend did a similar thing (can't post pictures I'm afraid, Eldar vs Imperial Guard) only we didn't magnetize. The result was some difficult placing and cries of "DON'T KNOCK THE BOARD".

I'm actually making a campaign with 5 other people, where we are using a 1"=1cm scale. The result is hopefully going to be a much more epic feeling game, even if every guy will end up being a champion sprinter.

Thanks for the support!

We had the same issue without magnets, which is why, in the end, we dedicated an entire page of the website to magnetization, and recently we uploaded a video to show it.

If you have pictures of it you can send them to us and we can add them to the website. If they are not too many you can use our mail address (in the "contacts" of the website). Otherwise we can arrange the transfer in some other way. Just contact me via PM or mail if you're interested. :huh:

I'm actually making a campaign with 5 other people, where we are using a 1"=1cm scale. The result is hopefully going to be a much more epic feeling game, even if every guy will end up being a champion sprinter.

So you're using 6mm miniatures and measuring cm instead of inches? Sounds interesting. Did you change anything else to adapt the gameplay?

I think transparent plastic is a good solution, especially if you can also make a small handle for the template. The dice roll doesn't give the same "blast" sensation.

The more I think of your adaptation the more it looks intriguing. I would actually like to create a page dedicated to it, on the website, if that's okay for you.

For this week we have enough material for two announcments!

The first announcement is about three new Blood Angels pictures in their Gallery section, featuring a Predator, a Razorback, and a very detailed Tactical Squad.

Blood Angels

The second is about a very useful article on 6mm bases, how to make them, and what is the right size for each miniature.

Basing and Base Sizes

Make sure you check them both!

This week we can finally present to you a very interesting and useful duo of updates!

=][= XENOS UPDATE REDACTED (but you can see it at the site) =][=

For the occasion, we also added a few more tips on how to make and print a 3D miniature for a reasonable price.

And finally, after nearly one year since we started the project, we compiled a list of FAQ. All of them right at this webpage:
https://sites.google.com/site/pocketw40k/home/playing/faq

This is the last update for this year. Merry Christmas to everyone, and Happy new year!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by Brother Tyler, March 17, 2013 - Orks vs Necrons update
Hidden by Brother Tyler, March 17, 2013 - Orks vs Necrons update

After nearly one month of celebrations, holidays, partying, gaming and intense post-celebration work, we're finally back with some nice "6mm pictures".

The holiday period was the time of a big twist in our Warhammer 40K campaign! The Ork forces have been annihilated, and the Necron now threten the planet of Landair! more pictures in the Campaign section of our website:

https://sites.google.com/site/pocketw40k/home/background-idea/campaign/3thmonththeorksextinct

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived