Small Scale 40K

Dirinel

This Sunday's weekly update we publish two articles:

The first, quite long and a bit complicated, is meant to explain reasons behind rescaling factors, common mistakes, and how we avoided the latters by using the formers.

The second, much, much easier, is a tutorial on how to produce loads of 6mm round magnetic bases in the blink of an eye!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Had to post in the games section to find your site again, it is now favourited! 

Played a few games with our 1cm=1" scale (which, amusingly, your rubbished only recently). In the name of not completely dashing my work (can you call it that?) against the rocks I shall say my pros and cons. 

Pros: Guns have range! The whole game had a much more "real" feel. We also adapted relatively quickly to everything being this range as well. 

Cons: Moving just feels... wrong. Everyone moves too fast. Also we encountered the problem that you guys pointed out; tanks don't block much. Although we could put models 2cm apart, we had trouble adjusting to that and everything ended up bunch up, leading to... 

SUPERCON: Blasts. Kill. Everything. It was just imbalanced. No one could really do the "spacing out" bit right, and the blasts were huge. 

All in all, think we'll try and use your system. I just printed off the rulers, will play test soon. 

Had to post in the games section to find your site again, it is now favourited! 

Played a few games with our 1cm=1" scale (which, amusingly, your rubbished only recently). In the name of not completely dashing my work (can you call it that?) against the rocks I shall say my pros and cons. 

Pros: Guns have range! The whole game had a much more "real" feel. We also adapted relatively quickly to everything being this range as well. 

Cons: Moving just feels... wrong. Everyone moves too fast. Also we encountered the problem that you guys pointed out; tanks don't block much. Although we could put models 2cm apart, we had trouble adjusting to that and everything ended up bunch up, leading to... 

SUPERCON: Blasts. Kill. Everything. It was just imbalanced. No one could really do the "spacing out" bit right, and the blasts were huge. 

All in all, think we'll try and use your system. I just printed off the rulers, will play test soon. 

Man, let me tell you one thing: thank you!

The real problem I had when writing it, was that I had a "theory" as to why a different system would not work, but we never actually played using an improper conversion. Your simple yet clear analysis and explanation, which comes out of experience, is probably the best way to convey the whole point of the article.

This type of comment is exactly what I was looking for to back-up the article! It's actually so good that, with your permission, I would like to copy it in the  website!

Feedback from the players is the only thing we cannot provide, having worked so much on Pocket. This very post of yours is no less than Invaluable!

Sure thing man. I mean the system kind of worked, but it would take some alterations of the basic rules whereas your system manages to keep them pretty much intact. Part of it was simply gamer error: we just couldn't visualise the spacing side. 

Can my army be on your site in any way? I'm quite proud of it.... 

I'm getting a metal board soon for magnetizing (we tried without: NOBODY BREATHE). The benefits of having a sheet metal worker for a father. 

I mean the system kind of worked, but it would take some alterations of the basic rules whereas your system manages to keep them pretty much intact.

I remember discussing this possibility of changinc rules in a place or two over internet, and reading about it in many more. In the end we realized most player would look at it as a "compromise" for a somewhat faulty system. And of course, it would be very hard to ensure that the game is balanced, especially through the editions.

I'm glad to know that turned out the right decision.smile.png

Your army(ies) can definitely be on the website! More on this through private messages.

• 2 weeks later...

The first article of May is a bizzarre tutorial for the Space Marine players. This time we decided to make an unusual model, just for the fun. Less than 10 steps to make a 6mm Adeptus Custodes miniature.

https://sites.google.com/site/pocketw40k/home/conversions/adeptus-custodes

We are also planning a three-month long break for the entire summer period starting from early June to early September. This means that there will be three more updates after this week and then we'll remain silent until September 2013.
We will however keep reading mail/comments and we'll still accept submissions. Anything we have before September will be posted during autumn 2013.

• 2 weeks later...
This week, we spent some time cleaning/fixing all the work done during this year, and we finally managed to write a handy PDF available for download. The document contains the entire website, without a few pages that would have no reason to be include (Where to buy the models, Campaign, Battles, etc..)

The link to the file can be found on this page (last one of the list):

This PDF is actually an improved version of the website: coherent, easier to read and easy to use as reference. I would recommend a quick read through the document to anyone new to Pocket WH40K before going through the website.

The announcement of this Sunday is also the last announcement before September. This means that the PDF is the most updated source of information about Pocket Warhammer available, and it will be so for the next three months.

We are aware that some weeks ago Games Workshop discontinued the production of 6mm miniatures. This however doesn't seem to be a major concern to Pocket Warhammer or Epic Armageddon. Several proxies for many models have always been available (Necron, Tau, Imperial Guard), most other models are easily found on Ebay in big bunches (Space Marine, Orks). Also, several more proxies seem to come up every week since GW halted its production. During the next three months we ourselves will keep an eye on the new directions for the 6mm productions, and we will update the website with links to the new miniature retailers as soon as the new situation will become more stable.

Meanwhile, we're still open for submissions of material and opinions alike, and everything we receive before September is going to be published with the first announcements.

Right now, a good start for anyone searching 6mm miniature should is eBay (or similar), the Tactical Command Forum, or the miniature retailers linked in our website.

Wishing you a sunny and bloody summer,

The Pocket WH40K Team

Archived