And So It Begins...

Slyen

I, Slyen, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete 1 Tactical Squad with one Meltagun and Missile Launcher from Codex: Space Marines of total value 200 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the Imperial Fists and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end.

So this will be my log for the event along with my coming back to posting and the hobby overall. I've thought about doing Imperial Fists for some time now and recently started picking things up for it. On most of the models I am trying to keep parts seperate for easy of painting, hence why no weapons or backpacks on a lot of them (and why the missile launcher guy is missing an arm, head and backpack...). As my camera disappeared when I moved a year ago some of the pictures are not that great. I found that the iPhone's camera works best when propped up on the table so I included shots of four marines at once as well that seem to be of better quality then the group shot.

So without further ado here are the pictures to start with.

gallery_49726_7282_277897.jpg

gallery_49726_7282_1060599.jpg

gallery_49726_7282_140057.jpg

gallery_49726_7282_635493.jpg

So, any preliminary thoughts? Any suggestions on what colour to prime them? I was figuring white as they are yellow but I tend to use black the most and I think it will be more reliable. Any recommendation on good primer to pick up if I'm not sure?

So full of questions, I know!

Go fists go! Prime black. There's several good looking fist armies around here. Check out Shaw3029's pre heresy fists or Brother Syth's 5th company both are beautiful looking armies. I have a 1st company thread you could check out too. I think we all explain the methods we've used. There's certainly more too but I'm still new round here and still trying to round em all up myself.

Whichever method you decide upon I wish you the best of luck in your challenge and very much look forward to seeing the yellow spill forth.

One more day for Dorn.

prime grey.. halfords grey, tamiya grey or airbrushed on acrylic-polyurethane surface primer from vallejo.

grey is for winners.

have you tried taking any pictures without the flash on? its washing out some of the parts.. also if you give the camera one thing to focus on, itll do a better job. single models one an uncluttered background should photograph better.. even if its just a few pieces of white paper, you're less likely to end up focussed on the grain on your desk rather than the model etc etc

I'll look into some grey primer then.

I tried it without the flash on but it was just to dark in the room. While I probably could have done something to increase lighting conditions, I didn't. Didn't think of the paper though. Maybe I'll shoot some more outside one afternoon with some paper as a background.

Are the new yellows that GW put out any good? I heard they were doing a new paint line right after I picked up a Tamiya and a Vellejo yellow.

Well due to budget concerns I've tried out the white primer on some rather unfortunate (depending on your perspective) grey knights. The effect I liked so I sprayed down a test mini and will begin working out a yellow recipe to start painting him up.

Archived