Starting DA

Hellrender

Hello people,

In 2006 i fell in love with the DA. Especially the robes, and the cool looking combi plasma master, aswell as their fluff. Sadly enough i never got around to painting an actual army. Now however, i feel like painting one now.

I practiced/tested a bit with a more dark army green colour, and for me it works out very nice :P

I do have one concern, and that has to do with playstyle/codex. It is rumoured DA gets a new codex at some point. And i am afraid some of the more cool units (Sternguard, Stormtalon/raven) will not be in there.

What happened in 2006, is that DA got a very nice codex. Until 5th. Then Codex: Space Marines came, and i am still of opinion that i like that codex a lot (except that 'certain' HQ are so much better then others). So i was wondering,

what sort of playstyle could i expect from a possible new DA codex? (mainly the greenwing style compared to C:SM, since Duelwing is quite unique).

I most likely asked the most ridicilous and impossible to answer question, but i just hate to paint up a DA army, and then have the same happening as the old 'dex, where the newer C:SM trumphs the C:DA.

Playstyle won't change much. We may get a couple of new units, but in essence DW, RW and tactical squad will always be there. They won't turn us into an assault oriented army because there are already several of those. So we either keep as is or get more shooty.

I like shooty. What are the opinions about Fearless? As i look now at the current dex, there is quite a bit of fearless coverage. I personally prefer Combat Tactics, Stubborn or ATSKNF (or combination there of). Fearless for certain units is fine, but the backbone of the army i rather have more flexiable. What do others think/expect of this rule for DA now and in the future?

but i just hate to paint up a DA army, and then have the same happening as the old 'dex, where the newer C:SM trumphs the C:DA.

I don't really see how this has any baring on how you paint and play your Dark Angels. Sure, somewhere along the line a new C:SM will come out and it will no doubt have something uber powerful, shiny and new... but that doesn't matter if you play C:DA. SM are another army entirely so your question could as well be "i like tau and want to know how a change to the eldar codex will affect my army".

In short, it won't.

The playstyle of our next codex will be similar to that we have at the moment. DeathRaven will still probably be the most competitive build but i cross my fingers that our green marines get given some love to make Tactical squads a bit more exciting. Oh, and don't forget the potential for Dev squad plasma spam we may be able to deploy.

I would expect our rules to stay pretty similar to what we have now but reworded and brought up to speed for sixth edition.

All in all, not much will change but we may get some shiny new toys to play with :)

Al

If you never got around to painting anything all, keep it simple. Start with an HQ and two troops. Paint the combi-plasma guy you like and 20 tacticals. You can't go wrong in any way by starting there.

Like a marine of any kind, you should know know fear and go for it. Dark Angels are fun to paint and if you don't like the rules you can play codex marines with them. Good Luck whichever way you go Brother

Thanks for the answers. I almost finished painting a TDA libby and a combat squad of tactical marines. I don't have enough bikers or terminators atm to play doublewing, so i will use C:SM for the time being.

The only thing you need to be careful of are that the points cost and/or special rules for special and heavy weapons might change.....e.g. plasma pistols might come back into fashion.....the easy way to future proof against this is to magnetise! :D

I would love a MotF in our army list. I love the conversion Beamer. It just screams old tech to me and would seem fitting for the DA. But yeah like the rest have said.

If you feel like painting...just go for bog standard tactical marines with bolters.

Those will always remain...

Or a couple rhinos/ razorbacks (do not glue to hatch)...

The way I'm feeling the "force" right now...it can easily be 1 yeard between 6th edition and our codex... and I'm certainly NOT going to wait 1 year before I paint more stuff "just in case I can't use it in 1 year's time".

We all have soooooooo much stuff laying around, still in sprues, for the next project...

I say...JOIN THE TENEBRAE LUX challenge :D

Ugh...unless you have some special knowledge about 6th edition rules that makes them better, I'd stay away from rhinos and razors for now. Even at the C:UM cost, they're just not worthwhile. As long as they don't get stunned or destroyed, they make their passengers a mind-blowing 2.5"/turn faster. Of course, in this meched-up environment, the chances of a rhino getting stunned, if not blown up, are so high that mounted marines are often slower than running ones. But the advice to start churning out basic bolter-rines is excellent. They work for tactical squads, devastator squads, command squads, veteran squads...you'll need those models by the dozens regardless of how the next book works out. Worst case, you end up repainting a squad badge to make a tactical marine a devastator later on. That's small potatoes! I might avoid termies till 6th edition comes out, though. The chances of the "ideal load out" not being shaken up by changes to weapons, cover, movement, etc, is pretty low. Predators magnetized to allow all the weapons options are probably safe, as are land raiders, drop pods, and magnetized dreadnoughts. I'd be surprised if they didn't somehow nerf melta weapons or make them less important in order to get people to buy something else now that we've all gone melta and autocannon crazy. Missile launchers are probably safe, they're too versatile to be rendered obsolete by a new edition, so you could do up some of those to serve in tactical and dev squads. Don't know about bikes and speeders, bikes are probably safe, speeders are too weapon-rules-dependent. If you do paint bikes, don't do the attack bikes yet, besides the reasonably high chance that the too-popular melta weaponry gets nerfed, I have this crazy feeling that the unloved heavy bolter will come to prominence in the next edition.

Well the new DA codex...tbh i dont like it that much because youre basically forced to use DW and/or RW, WAY to small special chars section, no more asmodai or brother bethor...im not even sure his 3 banners exists still in the rules...

But i dont care that much as i play very rarely, i prefer building+painting...and if i would still play i woulndt use DAs, for the guys i play with are mostly pure powergamers, and DAs simply aint best choice against powergamers

I await the new chaos legions codex for my 1000 sons...but more for my friend, so he can play play his death guard properly again

Archived