Vharn's slow plog: A Chaos marine warband (Updated June 10)

Vharn

Hi everyone,

Decided it was time to start a project log as I am having a hard time sticking to one army. Hope this plog helps me concentrate so I can finally finish painting an entire army.

I have yet to come up with a good background story for the warband, but the color scheme has been decided. I am going for a simple red and black scheme with silver armor trims. The warband will not be dedicated to one of the great powers, they will be undivided.

So far I have assembled a dreadnought, rhino and 5 CSM. I tried making my marines a bit taller by repositioning the legs. The gaps in the legs still need to be filled with greenstuff.

Group Shots:

gallery_53022_7284_94014.jpg

gallery_53022_7284_92279.jpg

And some close-up shots:

Marine 1:

gallery_53022_7284_125934.jpg

marine 2:

gallery_53022_7284_69283.jpg

Here is the Aspiring champion with his 'counts as power fist' weapon:

gallery_53022_7284_116336.jpg

gallery_53022_7284_85765.jpg

He is obviously very much a WIP at the moment, but I posted him to show the basic idea behind the color scheme. I am also trying my hand on glowing eye lenses and, as you can perhaps see, I have not completely perfected my 'glowifying' technique. I also have to work on the symbol on the shoulder pad which was supposed to be a terrifying daemon, but it turned out more like a horned fellow who is rather friendly looking.

I will try to update this blog once per week if time permits.

Thanks for having a look, comments and criticism are welcome B)

-Vharn

This looks great so far and that counts as power fist is awesome!

I also have to agree with you on that daemon face. He looks a bit like the Chaos God of Cupcakes and Teddy Bears. Still though, very entertaining.

The painted model looks beautiful. But... well, I don't know how to break this to you, but you're basically making a Word Bearers army as it stands. Red armor with silver trim is their color, and the shoulder pad with a daemon is their iconography. Whether or not this is a bit of cryptomnesia, welcome to the brotherhood!

I realize they look like the Word Bearers. I tried to make them sort of different by painting large parts of the armor black instead of red. I did forget that the word bearer symbol was a daemon face. For some reason I had in mind that their symbol was a book, but now that I think about it, that was their pre-heresy symbol. I could perhaps change the symbol into something different, or I can keep it and claim they are Bearers of the Word once the new codex with juicy legion rules hits the stores ;).

Thanks for the comments so far :D

-Vharn

The double handed chainaxe looks pretty imposing. Where did the shaft come from?

The shaft came from the power armored Grey knight kit, and the arms did as well. I cut the blade from the nemesis force halberd, and also cut the stormbolter from the arm (which also resulted in the round hole on the vambrace of the left arm, which will be painted as battle damage).

-Vharn

Update time.

Did not have a lot of time to work on the project this week unfortunately. Was planning to paint this weekend, but my black spray can decided it was time to go empty. I did manage to glue another 6 marines together, so I now have a squad of 6 marines with plasma gun and aspiring champion + a 5 man squad of marines who are, at the moment, missing their aspiring champ.

On the next update I will include a size comparison shot with a regular sized Imperial marine.

On to the pictures:

Squad 1:

gallery_53022_7284_127517.jpg

Squad 2:

gallery_53022_7284_45361.jpg

Some close-up shots of a couple of the new marines:

gallery_53022_7284_142421.jpg

gallery_53022_7284_102354.jpg

gallery_53022_7284_113933.jpg

Comments and criticism are welcome (not that much to talk about this update though :)).

-Vharn

Awseome. I love that counts as power fist. Wjat's it's actual name?

Hmm... I haven't really thought up a name for that thing, but since we already have chainswords and chainaxes, I guess I would call it a chainhalberd? :P

Since most people seem to like it, I think I will arm all my power fist wearing people with a chainhalberd instead.

-Vharn

Another small update.

This week I managed to paint my plasma gun marine.

gallery_53022_7284_90074.jpg

And here is a size comparison shot with normal marines:

My heroic traitors assaulting the pathetic loyalist weakling. Of course they made sure they outnumbered him a healthy 5 to 1.

gallery_53022_7284_62821.jpg

And that is all for this week.

-Vharn

lovin the plasma dude, really good osl! i like the colour scheme too - nice and dark, like any evil turncoat should be. chainhalberds would be a nice touch to your warband counts as pfists. how big are you planning on going??

Archived