Bolters for Death Company

Againt MEQ it's only 2 dead marines on average

Only 2 Marines? I'd say that's a good shooting phase what with 4+ cover being everywhere in this edition. With the added bonus of these wounds coming from a lot of saves where your opponent might not be able to just put a wound on some random redshirt as will be the case with a missile or melta shot.

4+ cover is irrelevant when you have 3+ armour and it's still only 6-7 wounds so you're unlikely to hit anyone vital unless it's a small squad, in which case I'd not even bother shooting. Plus the opponent will take off the nearest models in the hope of getting out of assault range. Most of the time, if I'm at the limit of assault range I don't even bother firing bolt pistols, let alone double-tapping with bolters.

4+ cover is irrelevant when you have 3+ armour

It's relevant because that 4+ will really hamper the effectiveness of any low ap fire, making those 2 wounds from bolters quite good in comparison. I'm well aware that bolters are not AP3.

I love Bolter DC and find them a lot more flexible than the CC loadout. I use them in Drop Pods so I usually field them in the following configuration:

1 Power Fist, Bolter

1 Power Weapon, Bolter

4 Bolters

4 Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

Drop Pod

I've settled on this configuration despite originally having 2 Power fists and 10 Bolters in mind for 2 reasons:

1. Wound Allocation

2. Melee/Range optimization

I find this setup gives me a solid punch in melee and enough 12" S4 AP5 shots to be useful when not in charge range (and upon deployment) or at 24" to avoid being kited by Speeders.

That said, My decisin isn't final and feel free to persuade me to take 2 Power Fists and 10 Bolters. ;)

I love Bolter DC and find them a lot more flexible than the CC loadout. I use them in Drop Pods so I usually field them in the following configuration:

1 Power Fist, Bolter

1 Power Weapon, Bolter

4 Bolters

4 Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

Drop Pod

I've settled on this configuration despite originally having 2 Power fists and 10 Bolters in mind for 2 reasons:

1. Wound Allocation

2. Melee/Range optimization

I find this setup gives me a solid punch in melee and enough 12" S4 AP5 shots to be useful when not in charge range (and upon deployment) or at 24" to avoid being kited by Speeders.

That said, My decisin isn't final and feel free to persuade me to take 2 Power Fists and 10 Bolters. :P

Other than the bolter on the PW, i think this is tops.

I personally like to take advantage of all of my special abilities. Relentless

is pointless if you don't take Bolters - simple fact. Why Bolters over +1 CC

ATK? Because it adds so much more flexibility to the unit and my army as

a whole. As a DoA BA player I lack ranged fire power because I prefer more

bodies than big guns. Thus, having DC spraying all of creation 24" away is a

HUGE boon for my army. Now, I can go on and on why Bolters are THE way to field

DC. But, that's just one area of focus. I also like to take advantage of their #s,

so Bolters become more and more beneficial for me as opposed to a 3-10 man squad.

This is my philosophy using this tool.

If you need your left and right limits the smaller the squad the more CC you want it,

and the larger it is the more shooty you want it.

I've used a 5 man DC squad using bolters and 2 power weapons. I put them with a Reclusiarch using a combi-melta for the BS5 melta shot and run them across the board in a Razorback with Twin linked Assault cannons. They are so much fun to use, especially with a successful rapid fire + charge thanks to relentless. They have the potential to wipe out ten model marine units with ease. Of course that's based on regular marine stats.

Archived