Latest 6th Ed Rumors for CC

Candleshoes

Rending close combat wound of a 6 "count as wounds from a power weapon", menain they would be AP 3. That would make Genestealers no better than anything else against TDA, if the rumors are true. For MCs, "all wounds...ignore armour saves, just like a power weapon." makes those attacks AP 3 too.

Of course FAQs and tweaks to the USRs in the core rules could change a lot of things. There are too many rumors/unknown variables at this point to be celebrating anything just yet.

The only way that would work is if the AP is based on MC strength. So str 5 would be AP 6, str 6 would be AP5 and so on. In this way, Str10 would be AP1. So a carnifex, wraithlord, and dreadnought would all be AP1, while a hive tyrant, demon prince and avatar would be ap5 without special wargear (bone swords could give the bonus AP for example).

Otherwise you're going to have space marine armies that ignore the entire armor save range of whole codices with almost no worry to their own armor saves.

Also, if I recall correctly, rending specifically makes the weapon AP2 in 5th ed.

You are confusing shooting Rending with close combat Rending. They are two different effects in 5E. Instead of some sort of Strength system, they could just apply an AP value to the larger models' attacks, or simply say "Close combat attacks made by X ignore armor saves." That takes care of everything, and is very simple.

Except that monstrous creatures suddenly get a free weapon upgrade. I'm not confusing ranged and close combat attacks. I'm looking at power weapons not ignoring armor saves anymore, but monstrous creatures still do means they get that upgrade free. Otherwise they would have to pay more for the upgrade, like power fists/chain fists.

Then if you add the hope that chainswords have a decent AP, but creatures like ogryns that become str 6 don't, it starts getting really unbalanced. Adding an AP based on strength (similar to 2nd ed and fantasy armor penalties) helps to even this out.

If this is true, its one of the most exciting rumours to come out of 6th ed for me personally.

I think it is exceptional in balancing termies for their current cost (which so many people have complained about).

Also, puts GK into perspective a little more I think.

Awesome.

If this is true, its one of the most exciting rumours to come out of 6th ed for me personally.

I think it is exceptional in balancing termies for their current cost (which so many people have complained about).

Also, puts GK into perspective a little more I think.

Awesome.

I agree, although I do think something needs to be added to make standard power weapons more appealing. Power Fists are already the default choice when it comes to upgrading most squads, this change will only exacerbate that.

Thinking back to the 'leaked' PDF ruleset, didn't power weapons provide a 5+ invulnerable save (representing parries/blocking with the weapon's energy field)? That might make standard power weapons a more viable alternative choice to the ubiquitous power fist.

I guess if it's true, it's good for termies, but horrible for the goal of making "power weapon versus power fist" an actual choice instead of a no-brainer. Unless we get 10 point power weapons and 30 point fists? Hell, even that would only reset the relative costs to where they are today, to promote power weapons, they'd have to make the price difference insane, like 5/30 or 10/40

Eh, power weapon vs. fist in a straight-up 1v1 fight, I'd be tempted to go for the power weapon. :P

The chance to kill the fisty before it gets a chance to strike is interesting.

Eh, power weapon vs. fist in a straight-up 1v1 fight, I'd be tempted to go for the power weapon. :P

The chance to kill the fisty before it gets a chance to strike is interesting.

Yeah, but if this rumor pans out GK just got another massive, free boost. I6 AP2 Force Weapons on 2+save vs I4 AP3 Power Weapons on 2+ save? Bye bye Lightning Claw Termies/Wolf Guard/CSM Termies.

But aren't force weapons just power weapons with an additional rule concerning killing outright?

That'd make them AP3.

One of the other threads on this has thejeske posting a rumor that Force Weapons will be AP2 (he didn't specify if this was all the time or only when Psychically activated).

Like CSM termies were ever something to be feared. You guys are really taking the jeske's word seriously huh?

No more than we're taking any of these rumors "seriously". :tu:

Being a Deathwing and Draigowing player this makes me smile. If this is true then Deathwing might just be able to compete with the top tier lists. I'll maybe bring mine out again once 6th Edition is here.

Archived