BA aren't competitive

I would like to see other people take a stab at this too.

Gonna throw a spanner into the works and say I don't believe one dex is higher ranked than another. Its just too odd a concept to get my head around, personally.

I do believe certain dexs are easier to make an all comers lists.

I believe those to be:

SW and GK - which are all on a par for me.

IG are not as easy as people think -as you need a very specific type of build, therefore I dont see it as being on a par with SW and GK where you can get away with a lot more builds and being MEq are a lot more forgiving.

BA I believe can take each of those dexs but are more difficult to construct to beat everything else too.

Orks are still exceptionally powerful in the right hands and also manage to be very versatile.

Daemons here destroyed the local scene but when the GK came out, less people played them for fear of running into the GK. But they're still fearsome.

Dark Eldar also do well in the right hands here.

Chaos as well in the same boat.

I just cant rank armies with any great confidence or authority.

Here's a look at local meta quick:

Top 10 at the last Regionals we had here was:

Grey Knights

Imperial Guard

Blood Angels

Space Wolves

Space Marines

Orks

Dark Eldar

Blood Angels

Space Wolves

Chaos Space Marines

Up country in their regionals the most recent results were:

Necrons

Dark Eldar

Grey Knights

Chaos Space Marines

Eldar

Black Templars

Imperial Guard

Space Marines

Space Marines

Dark Eldar

Fast vehicles = single heavy weapons = TLAC

Retain the move 12" and shoot advantage.

LC/TLPG are for GK and SW.

I too think putting the dexes into tiers is an exercise in futility. But I do agree with SamaNagol's last post, that as a synergy army, building an effective list from the BA codex isn't as plug and play as say, GK and SW with Psyflemen and GH/Missle LF respectively.

Synergy armies get a bad internet rap for comp play, e.g Menoth in Warmahordes. It's a lot harder to look at well built synergy army list on the net and see how it could compete with an army that just relies on individual high stat models that are independently powerful.

I would argue that list building skill and personal ability go a lot farther to winning then whether or not certain 'people' consider a codex competitive or not. Granted a good codex does help, ie. the Necrons where nigh unplayable in 5th until they got a new codex, but on the same coin the Dark Eldar went 10 years without a new codex, but a clever player could still make them quite competitive.

I can't believe a topic based of a wildly left field comment has gone on for so long. Way to correct the enlighten the ignorant, Sons of Sanguinius :P

Morticon I agree with you that it is hard to rank armies, and tha tlocal meta has a lot to do with it. In my head I try to look at things like does a particular army have any really terrible match-ups as a book.

Take Daemons for example, it is damn near impossible to beat DE venom spam with any daemon list if you assume equal level of skill among players. I have won this match-up but my opponent screwed up for me to do so. Nids, share this bad match-up and add things like GKs and Wolves. I also tend to look at how players perform with different books as to the level of skill needed to win with them. IG for example took one player in my local area from being near the bottom consistently with Tau and Nids, to winning events. Hard to argue it is not a stronger book. This does not mean those other books cannot win, but they are much harder to win with. For me as soon as you add "in the hands of a skilled player..." to the mix, that drops a codex a tier for me as that means it is not competitive for any player. I.e. Tau are competitive in the hands of a skilled player, but give them to most people and they lose horribly.

"In the hands of a skilled player" is irrelevant when tiering codices because if I am a skilled player I could get even more out of the point and click GK list than I could out of using gimmicks and new unknown tactics from an average to good tier book.

IG for example took one player in my local area from being near the bottom consistently with Tau and Nids, to winning events. Hard to argue it is not a stronger book. This does not mean those other books cannot win, but they are much harder to win with.

Or it could mean that C:IG fits your friends playstyle and preferences better than C:Tau or C:Tyranids. Just as some marine players will perform better with C:SM than they will with C:BA or C:SW (both routinely held up as "superior" to C:SM).

I'm saying that extra-ordinary claims require extra-ordinary proof.....

By your own concessing here, ordinary proof here wouldn't be good enough for you, so giving you the regional tournie results would have no affect on your opinion.

Just saying..... :D

Or it could mean that C:IG fits your friends playstyle and preferences better than C:Tau or C:Tyranids. Just as some marine players will perform better with C:SM than they will with C:BA or C:SW (both routinely held up as "superior" to C:SM).

I would buy that if it were bottom to middle or middle to top.but worst to first? He is still not a good player, now he just has the tools to make up for it.

I would buy that if it were bottom to middle or middle to top.but worst to first? He is still not a good player, now he just has the tools to make up for it.

I don't know, I've seen it happen. Something similar happened with me when I started using the BA White Dwarf codex.

Archived