The Lost Sons, Post-Heresy true-scale marines

Basically, after a very long break from the hobby - a good few years - I decided that because of the sheer amount of unfinished models that I have I would make an attempt to finish them all and sell them off. This of course has failed miserably and served merely to get me back into the hobby.

There goes my bank.

The main aim of this project will be to learn to use green stuff properly as I've not actually used it before and to improve painting.

After looking at some of Apologist's true-scale marines I found that standard marines held no real appeal for me anymore, so without further ado I present my project:

The creation of a true-scaled Space Wolves army (with a twist) of anything up to company-strength.

Having discovered that I lacked the correct paint to do either a pre-heresy or 40k Space Wolf army I struck out on my own, and have decided to make my own sub-chapter, post-heresy.

The Lost Sons are based on the idea that there may have been some of the Thousand Sons left on Prospero that were shown mercy after the Wolves routed the legion. I toyed with the idea that Russ may have seconded a company to focus on the destruction of the remaining Thousand Sons, this however spoke too much of a secrecy that is out of character for the Wolves.

Fluff:

As such, I felt that Russ' reluctance to destroy his brother, no matter that he disliked him personally (demonstrated in 'Prospero Burns'), presented the opportunity to allow for the Wolves to create a Chapter comprising of Russ' trusted leiutenants and Thousands Sons survivors who chose to pledge themselves to Russ rather than betray the Emperor, and kept their honour.

Russ formed the Company of the Lost Sons who dedicated themselves to the destruction of their previous brothers-in-arms, much in the way the original Deathwatch may have been focused upon the downfall of Mortarian's Death Guard.

They renounced the use of their pyschic powers, and fight in the same manner as the Space Wolves. To all intents and purposes they are Space Wolves, they merely have a different colour scheme - Bone, with a crimson king in honour of the brothers they lost in the Great Crusade before the Council of Nikea and the Purging of Prospero.

I may write up a proper story-line/history and characters for the Lost Sons, depends on my motivation and how the project progresses.

With the Fluffy stuff posted, I will begin to post WIPs when I work out how to do that properly.

Criticism is welcome! It's the best way I can improve my abilities.

This is the first of the Lost Sons I've completed. Not quite sure on the iconography just yet.

This will probably just be a Grey Hunter as I imagine that as I do more they'll improve, and I may as well have the best models in the elite/HQ.

gallery_67337_7302_349081.jpg

Size comparison - true-scale vs standard power/terminator armour.

gallery_67337_7302_25466.jpg

Head.

gallery_67337_7302_94204.jpg

Front.

gallery_67337_7302_144153.jpg

Left side.

gallery_67337_7302_86028.jpg

Right side.

gallery_67337_7302_124877.jpg

Rear.

That's the first of many (I hope)

Constructive criticism is always welcome :tu:

[All the edits were due to me failing miserably to get the images on]

I love the paint job on your lost Son, but I think his legs look a little stumpy - it looks to me like youve just lengthened his torso. What I would assume people would do (I wouldnt know as my GS skills are terrible) is put some plasticard spacers in the legs (both thigh and calf) to make the legs longer too, that should stop him looking a bit stretched

More True Scale!!!! I love True Scale!!!! As to the stretched waist, before going to the hassle of spacing the legs, try bulking out the waist with pouches, grenades and his helmet.

I'll be following, cheers,

Jono

As suggested I've added some pouches and stuff to the Marine, and I also widened the belt so as to raise his waist-line.

gallery_67337_7302_34783.jpg

Take 2 - Think I'm going to add a squad flag to this guy, or the next if it works well enough.

The next marine I'm working on. Filled in the legs, and squared off the chest, just need to do the abdomen and tidy up the chest.

This one will be re-loading his bolter (If I can manage that conversion at any rate).

gallery_67337_7302_92667.jpg

As always, criticism and suggestions are more than welcome.

Now, I'm going to bed.

Continued from the WIP of the 2nd marine - finished the torso (lower chest, abdomen, belt) and finished with the arms (need to glue a hand on one, but there's no green stuff, so..)

The bolter is mainly finished - the mag housing is done, just need to add another layer of green stuff to the mag itself which is proving to be rather irritating.

gallery_67337_7302_27768.jpg

This is the bolter - chopped the mag, dug into the plastic of the mag housing to show it empty, then tidied it up with green stuff.

gallery_67337_7302_76916.jpg

The finished torso, I'm no Doghouse, but it's not bad IMO.

gallery_67337_7302_14103.jpg

The arms, had to rebuild part of the elbow plates and the forearm on the left arm (GKT sprue)

Sorry about the image quality, when the putty dries I'll glue it together and hopefully have a better quality image of the whole marine.

• 2 months later...

I think it´s a very good conversion (i actually love the true scale too), but, sadly, I do think that the arms are too small (human´s bows are almost at the same height than the waist). You´d better extend them in order to proportion it.

Sorry for my very bad english.

Take a look: http://medicablogs.diariomedico.com/val16/...natomia-humana/

Gretings from Spain!!

Archived