Mars-Pattern Storm Talon Conversion

Thanks dudes,

On the AC mounting position, If you were to apply the design to a real world scenario the pilot would be dropping in and strafing from up high to shoot targets on the ground.

Not really. It's designed to be a gunship similar to a modern attack helicopter, not a ground attack fighter. It shouldn't need high angles of attack and long run ups. That defeats the purpose.

Your conversion looks great so far, but his critique of the weapon placement on the drive engines is valid. It's as much a design flaw as having landing gear on the chin turret, lol.

OH-58s and BO-105s use high-angle attacks runs. They call it "bumping," where they pick up altitude, bump over like the peak of a parabolic arc, and swoop down on their targets from above. Granted they're not true attack helos, but the point stands. I agree with you, don't get me wrong, but the Apache isn't the end-all, be-all of attack aviation.

Much like the old OA-10 Warthog.

Thanks dudes,

On the AC mounting position, If you were to apply the design to a real world scenario the pilot would be dropping in and strafing from up high to shoot targets on the ground.

Not really. It's designed to be a gunship similar to a modern attack helicopter, not a ground attack fighter. It shouldn't need high angles of attack and long run ups. That defeats the purpose.

Your conversion looks great so far, but his critique of the weapon placement on the drive engines is valid. It's as much a design flaw as having landing gear on the chin turret, lol.

OH-58s and BO-105s use high-angle attacks runs. They call it "bumping," where they pick up altitude, bump over like the peak of a parabolic arc, and swoop down on their targets from above. Granted they're not true attack helos, but the point stands. I agree with you, don't get me wrong, but the Apache isn't the end-all, be-all of attack aviation.

Actually, I'd venture to say that the newest AH-1Z Cobras are probably that. The Apache is a tank killer and does a good job at it. But the Cobras were from the beginning designed as a CAS platform for infantry support. Advanced targeting and avionics have perfected the platform.

The Talon's problems is that it is a single seat craft. Lacking a dedicated gunner, it's going to lack in its ability to both maneuver and engage ground targets, and its status as what appears to be a STOVL craft means it would lack the straight line speed to survive traditional gun runs against sophisticated opponents. I mean, engaging Towliebanners with Mk 1 eyeballs for targeting systems is one thing. Tau Skyrays might be another, heh.

Oh, forums. Haha.

I have no friggin idea what you guys are talking about.

Just call mine a Mars-Pattern Storm Talon and it does as I say.

LOL! Well said.

I love the conversion, breaking up the AC like that and mounting the missiles in its place makes for a nice sleek design. Cant wait to see more.

Could always just say the ACs rotate up and down separate from the engines, but justifications are second to the rule of cool.

Excellent conversion Redscorps! I'm thinking of getting one of these myself and changing it up into a helicopter gunship by putting rotars on the top and swapping the weapons around like you've done.

Keep up the good work!

I can only agree that this is a much cooler alternative than the original cram packed death box style of the original, this looks more like an aircraft and less like a midget Cayuse moonlighting as an Apache gunship.

I think you nailed this one, and it looks like you're steady on your way to a solid paint job as well, all in all good job!

And people nitpicking about realism in 40K like that will most likely be crushed under the feet of the super realistic, enormous walking machines of death, some carrying entire cities on their back aka titans that despite their total lack of realism is still loved dearly by most of us :) Realism in scifi is relative and if you want your assault cannons on the VTOL engines then I'm pretty sure we can let that one slip the confines of realism and just sit back and enjoy :tu:

And people nitpicking about realism in 40K like that will most likely be crushed under the feet of the super realistic, enormous walking machines of death, some carrying entire cities on their back aka titans that despite their total lack of realism is still loved dearly by most of us :tu: Realism in scifi is relative and if you want your assault cannons on the VTOL engines then I'm pretty sure we can let that one slip the confines of realism and just sit back and enjoy :)

Love it.

Quite a few guys have said the same and yeah. Deal with it dudes, it's a game of toys, in a fictional universe completely created by chubby, middle aged, tea drinkin, British men and MY TOY DOES WHAT I SAY IT DOES!

Hah.

The way I see it is the guns are up on take off and landing because lets face it, who's shooting then anyway and it's probably safer. Safety first kids. Then for the hover mode it can stall itself on the belly thrusters and snap off a few quick shots.

Dang that looks good, especially the tail section! and I really don't want to like any of these in case I have to buy one!

I actually like the A/C's positioning, better for FOD avoidace as well as there would be any number of shell casings spilling out :P

Wow, drop out of the grid for a few days and people go all "michaelangelo" on you.

Seriously, this is just full of win. I tip my hat to you good sir and may honor your creation with something similar in my army. Bravo!

Cheers,

Thanks gents,

I just finished my Storm Talon build and am painting it in the RS colours right now.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7167819825_714b7c8363_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7353026644_50504bcc73_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/7353028580_a15f8ddaa1_b.jpg

"Quite a few guys have said the same and yeah. Deal with it dudes, it's a game of toys, in a fictional universe completely created by chubby, middle aged, tea drinkin, British men and MY TOY DOES WHAT I SAY IT DOES!"

^_^ :P :lol: , I can relate.

Looks sweet!, and was going to say about the hover mode but while catching up with the thread you covered that and makes sence. Only nitpick maybe the wings could of been slightly tilted down but looks like a solid flyer. If I'm not mistaken the wings are the lower tail from the S.raven?

Absolutely awesome. By far and away the coolest looking conversion I've seen of one so far, and definitely a much more fitting style than the original. Out of curiosity, any idea what the size of the storm raven actually wings would Ben the Talon? Was thinkingof getting the wings and tail of a Raven and replacing the Talon's. Too big?

Who wants to guess how long it's going to take Chapterouse to put one just like it out?

Holy crap... there's definitely no way out of this one now. I'm going to have to sink some cash into a Talon soon, you've singlehandedly convinced me. Best Talon I've seen yet, everything has been executed flawlessly. That is truly a Space Marine aircraft.

EDIT: Just noticed the grav-jets on the underside of the fuselage. Great little detail, man! As well as the heated assault cannon barrels. One thing that I feel it's lacking is some unit designation markings. Perhaps on the wings?

Loving the paint on the asscans, very nice. I'm totally stealing this conversion idea, even though I have space wolves, I'm going to build one because it looks so damn good! Top marks for design, effort and execution. The Mechanicum would be proud!

Archived