Devastators instead of Full Tactical squads

Master Barachiel

Hey Space Marines of all chapters,

while building up my latest 2 Black Reach sets (got already 4; as they'll soon get very rare) I wondered about not playing Tactical squads but use 10-men-tactical Squads all equipped with Bolters, boltpistols (Sergeant with Combi-Flamer) and one Flamer and play a 5-men-devastator Squad with 4 Missile launchers.

My standard tactic used to be splitting the Tactical squads into two (one for close combat with Flamers, one fore long distance fighting with missile launchers). But as I described before, I wonder if that's so clever. Because most of the marines left behind won't be able to fire their bolters and the close combat boys will also never be any real thread to an enemy.

So, whta do you think?

Well, that might be useful in battles when the enemy employs much long-range firepower but against Tyranids or Orks I'd certainly prefer more firepower + bigger Close-Combat troops.

The only negative point about this devastator-using strategy would be that it limits the number of "real" heavy support like Predators, Land Raiders, etc.

Devastators are not scoring...so in 2/3 missions we have now, the best they will do is contest and objective/base.

If you compare the 5 bolter devastator with 5 tactical marines...you are saving 15 points IIRC, but lose a never-over-estimated option.

Troops win the games!

Tactical squads and devastators are good at different things. If you find that you are relying on that Tactical's heavy weapon, you may be better off with a Dev squad. They are about the same points, but Devs bring much better firepower.

If you find you need help controlling objectives, stick with the tac squad.

Tactical squads and devastators are good at different things. If you find that you are relying on that Tactical's heavy weapon, you may be better off with a Dev squad. They are about the same points, but Devs bring much better firepower.

If you find you need help controlling objectives, stick with the tac squad.

+1 to this one. Devs for fire support, Tactical squads for frontline. Never rely on the Tactical squad's heavy weapon if you're going ranged, it's a bonus that should always be taken, nothing more.

Its a shame that a 5-man tactical squad can't take a special weapon, as for not many more points than a Tac squad in a Rhino you could get devs with 3 missiles (leaving 1 guy as an ablative) and 5 man tac in a RB with melta and combi melta.... :tu:

Archived