to banner or not to banner

Hi guys, whats everyones opinion on back banners? they don't seem to be very popular anymore, hardle ever see marines with banners nowadays, I'm trying to decide whether to add banners to my 15mm Blood Angels.

Cheers :)

I still rock banners.

And for tacs, my squad leader (not sarge) always has a banner :tu:

Two weeks ago I made two terminators with banners. I like it a lot.

My only problem is that our banner tread in the resource tread has lost its pictures. :D

Fortunately I have the angels of death codex so I'm not completely lost.

I'm going proper old-skool on my army. My Tac squad will have a Sergeant and Squad leader with banners as per 2nd ed codex. As will any Devestator squads later on. My Dreadnoughts will also have a big banner (There's a nice one in the Ironclad box) too. I'm undecided on characters as yet. Probably yes, is the answer. As long as they don't have a jump pack.

I love banners for the flavorz. All my squads have two banners, one for the sarge, and one for the squad leader like in old school 2nd ed. I modify the heraldry though - sarge has a black chapter icon backed by the company's heraldry and the squad number in a corner. The squad leader has the squads heraldry. It looks pretty keen on the table.

I took it one step further, because you might as well take things as far as they'll go right? I am magnetizing all my banners, and have corresponding magnetic sections on all my vehicles. So when my foot assault squad mounts their Razorback, instead of taking sarge and putting him on top or some such, I move the banner from my sarge to the Razorback, to show which unit is inside which vehicle. I really love the way that looks on the battlefield. It looks terrifying when my Stormraven shows up, with DC, DC Dread, and Reclusiarch all mounted inside, with all their banners displayed on the SR hull.

Aww, and here I thought the discussion was about using banners with Honour Guard and/or Sanguinary Guard :P

Personally I still use back banners, but that is because I have a load of second edition Tactical Squads. I even use the sticky backed banners that used to come with the models and the streamers on bikes, etc. (What? I'm not confident enough to try a free-hand job at the moment...)

As for your last question, the stickies are your friend :)

Trying to be authentic as possible in painting BA, The OCD quest for proper company/squad identification

BA Codex Colours

Blood Angels Fourth Company Banner

Personally, I've never liked banners, they seem a little impractical to me, plus I like the idea of just one banner bearer holding the banner. (per company.)

That said though, I think your marines will actually benefit from a banner, it will fit into their look and it will challenge your modelling and painting skills. So I say go for it!

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

Archived