My RavenWing Reboot 2012 [x8 Squadrons]

Hail Brethren.

I've begun my quest to redo my pure RW battle force. A 2nd Company force consisting originally of 3 squadrons and several speeders. The original force can be seen here: Fortress of the Unforgiven.

I began by stripping ALL of what you see in the pictures from the above link. A task i will never again attempt since the amount of time and insanity was not worth the effort. Next time they'll be sold and this hobbyist will begin anew. But, being a sentimental fool; I couldn't let these guys go for the many years, games, and kills I've enjoyed by their faithful service (since 1999).

This past year I have added 5 more squadrons equaling 8 in total. Sigh, a LOT to paint... I thought this was accomplished already?!?!? LOL. :cuss

So we start with an Update to my favorite version of Sammael RavenWing Master - the Speeder. You could probably can get the themes thrown around in this one. Fun build, still have a few hiccups to resolve.

WIP build result:

gallery_317_2487_133005.jpg

gallery_317_2487_963065.jpg

gallery_317_2487_38779.jpg

gallery_317_2487_605688.jpg

gallery_317_2487_909792.jpg

gallery_317_2487_457685.jpg

I started this guy around the middle of January. Then hobby ADD set in and other projects took priority. So now its time to ride the wave of motivation and see how far we can get until my other shiny models grab my attention and drag me off to satisfy their whims.

And here is the primed cleaned up result. After priming i see some more gaps - which will get some liquid green stuff love. Theres a few things I FORGOT To ADD, [derp] and will while doing more gap filling.

gallery_317_2487_837174.jpg

gallery_317_2487_920623.jpg

gallery_317_2487_234412.jpg

gallery_317_2487_554816.jpg

gallery_317_2487_1085872.jpg

gallery_317_2487_584511.jpg

gallery_317_2487_353864.jpg

gallery_317_2487_198086.jpg

And yes, I prime grey regardless the color of model. I hate white and black primer from SO many crappy results. Grey primer has never failed me, ever. Its then a case of airbrush undercoating black. This gives me a nice clean result.

The flying base is temporary, I'll be making some custom ones with the RW symbol brass etched and stamped to the correct diameter.

impressive. nice, creative use of bits. definately warrents the AV14 save he has regardless of the wargear explaination. what made you chose that way round for the heavy bolters/assault cannons? would have thought fire arc wise swapping them round would work better?

will be interested to see what you do with sammael and the gunner's hands/general positioning

Now I understand the concept of "full optional" ;)

Thank you very much, sir :)

I had to look up what you mean't. Now I know and appreciate the compliment. Its an Italian concept ;)

impressive. nice, creative use of bits. definately warrents the AV14 save he has regardless of the wargear explaination. what made you chose that way round for the heavy bolters/assault cannons? would have thought fire arc wise swapping them round would work better?

will be interested to see what you do with sammael and the gunner's hands/general positioning

The original speeder has a twin linked assault cannon about a 1/2" shorter than my current configuration. That weapon mount only give the speeders arc of fire 90 degrees. The heavy bolter affords a 180 degree arc of fire. So with that in mind I made the gun mounts as close in line with the original designers intent but with my own spin. The gunner will be interacting with the control panel somehow. I was thinking about having fun with it and giving him an XBOX style game controller.

Heh, add just a few more weapons and you can use it as a Stormtalon. Even more and you have a Stormraven. Nice.

Thanks brother.

Ha, that is one crazy ass(as in cool as hell) LS. Love it! Look forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks my friend. It'll be a labor of love. :)

Well, now that i'm back from EDC I can refocus on the project. Came home early because the wind was ruining everything. Odd place for the event.

The 2000pt list I will be focusing on beyond the bulk of the force will be thus:

;)

+Sammael Speeder

+Interrogator Chaplain Leviticus

Bike

;)

+RW Command Squadron Corvus 305pts [6 man]

plasma gun x2 / standard bearer / apothecary / serg: pw

+RW Squadron Phentoris 300pts [6 man]

flamers x2 / serg: pw, melta bomb / Attack Bike MM

+RW Squadron Katharius 255pts [6 man]

melta gun x2 / serg: pw

+RW Squadron Geneon 255pts [6 man]

melta gun x2 / serg: pw

;)

+RW Speeder Squadron Hydra 175pts

Speeder: AC, MM / Speeder: Typhoon, MM

+RW Speeder Squadron Dominion 175pts

Speeder: AC, MM / Speeder: Typhoon, MM

+RW Speeder Squadron Praemo 175pts

Speeder: AC, HB / Speeder: Typhoon, HB

I'm contemplating making Squadron Praemo built with similar styling cues as Sammy. Maybe x-wing, side intakes, ect. They would run near him the whole game. A sort of body/honor guard.

I have begun to base coat the bikes and should have a prototype bike painted soon.

More to come ;)

And the speeder insanity begins a new.

gallery_317_2487_337073.jpg

I'm going to start with 6 for now including 3 stripped ones just to fill my list requirements. I forgot what a pain the body is to put together. Magnetized all the weapons as well, including the typhoon ml and panels. I have and idea for the gunner weapon mounts to include weapon switch outs. I'll post pics of the concept once its fleshed out.

++EDIT:

By the way - a Big Shout Out to spikeybits.com for having such great customer service. I was able to get several bitz to update my older RW bikes and speeders (plus some other things) and it was shipped to me in 2 days at no extra cost. Highly recommend them.

Archived