Furioso dreadnought in a drop pod

khurdur

Well, brethren, I've been considering this for a while now...to put in a furioso w/ frg cannon, meltagun and magna grapple in my hybrid list.

I think it an excellent first strike weapon. I get a free deepstike on my first turn, and with 2 S6 rending template shots, a meltagun, and a magna grapple I can wreak havoc amongst the enemies support elements.

Think about it; the Dark eldar will have at least 6-8 light vehicles, usually close together. The frag cannon can hit at least two, and has a good chance of glancing or penetrating both, and then the meltagun/ magna grapple will finish off the vehicle I was initially aiming for.

IG- a firing line of leman russes. DS this boy in and wreak havoc !

or anyone else who has a large backfield. You can even use it on long fangs.

Otherwise, it can be used on transports or exposed infantry.

And finally, after wreaking some havoc, the enmy needs to use elements of his army to wreak it, saving the rest of your army from the shots...seems like a good way to spend 170 points to me....

I usually pod a normal Furioso or DC dread in every list and pop smoke to give it some more survivability. Depending on the positioning and your cover saves it can absorb a tremendous amount of firepower, as your enemy usually will want to get rid of it at any cost (or lose a pricey unit in the next turn).

I will try your suggestion though sometime, it should get some good shots off against almost every opponent and will still be a primary target for sure.

As long as your army is fast, I think a podded Dread is never a suicide unit, but an additional very high priority target drawing a lot of fire off your other units.

With a standard blender-Furioso I'd much rather take the 4+ cover than bet on a single melta shot (unless you can position it e.g. behind the pod to gain cover against all dangerous stuff, but thats usually not the case).

If you play Lucius pattern drop pods, your friends wont play with you for long i guess :)

I get a free deepstike on my first turn, and with 2 S6 rending template shots, a meltagun, and a magna grapple I can wreak havoc amongst the enemies support elements.

IIRC (I've been gone for a while) Dreads can only shoot two weapons, so that's one too many. I'd go with either a Meltagun and Magnagrapple for 2 S8 shots, or frag cannon and flamer for 3 auto hit templates.

A Heavy support dread will cost about 30-35 points less and comes with a MM, only 1 shot but double the distance for the melta bonus. Cheaper might be better for a 'suicide' unit.

A beacon on the pod could help turn 2 deep strikers get in close too.

I get a free deepstike on my first turn, and with 2 S6 rending template shots, a meltagun, and a magna grapple I can wreak havoc amongst the enemies support elements.

IIRC (I've been gone for a while) Dreads can only shoot two weapons, so that's one too many. I'd go with either a Meltagun and Magnagrapple for 2 S8 shots, or frag cannon and flamer for 3 auto hit templates.

A Heavy support dread will cost about 30-35 points less and comes with a MM, only 1 shot but double the distance for the melta bonus. Cheaper might be better for a 'suicide' unit.

A beacon on the pod could help turn 2 deep strikers get in close too.

Dreads are able to move normally and fire all weapons (unless they are stunned of course) as written in P. 72 of the BRB.

As far as this unit goes, it is a great disruption unit and will heavily depend on how you back it up. Obviously, this is a bad unit to take for a DoA army as your army has no long range fire support or if held in reserve, won't arrive until turn 2 at the earliest. Hybrid and mech have a better synergy with this unit, although the more aggressive the list, the better suited IMO. For example, a list with 3 vindis could really go well with these units as no one wants vinidis around (arguable, yes).

On the other hand, BAs have better, cheaper, more efficient disruptive units. Scouts bikers have been discussed a lot on the BAs forum recently. You could consider those and the weigh in at 50-75pts cheaper. Down side; they rely on first turn and can only take one vehicle with them. VanVets fulfill a similar role, but with a little more flexibility. Down side; they rely on Hit on the scatter roll or minimum distance and they come in turn 2+. Baal preds, while not as effective at tank hunting, can take the flame storm cannon and can hit multiple targets as stated above or even flame long fangs with no chance of survival. Or they could take the assault can/HB sponsons and be very versatile by fulfilling multiple roles on the field (i.e. turn 1 aggressive threat, midfield fire suppression, or outflanking late game threat.) and at a reasonable price too. Down side; they come out with a fat target sign on them and can be useless against some armies.

Not dismissing the idea, as I have played around with it before. However, you really need to build a list around the idea IMO. I would consider multiple DPs (3 maybe?) to have to dreads come down to increase your chances of destruction and survivability. Don't forget, aggressive is a key factor here.

Archived