Vallejo dark green

GumbaFish

Hey all,

So I have been bitten by the DA bug, they were the first army I started painted over a decade ago, and I have decided to try and paint some again. With GW discontinuing their old line I bought some Vallejo game color dark green as I understand its roughly equivialent to DA green. However, the coverage is absolutely horrendus. I even got a strip of plastic and used it to stir it up as all of the pigment was settled on the bottom and that didnt help. Did I just get a bad bottle or is this paint really this poor?

I have about 9 other shades of green (not including foundation paints) and I must say they all cover rather poorly, but this dark green from vallejo takes the cake. I remember DA green didn't have as great a coverage as I would have thought being that its so dark, but this is ridiculous. Any thoughts or alternatives welcome.

Vallejo Game Color is a more fluid then other paints but I think you might have had a bad bottle. I shake them up pretty vigorously before each use and have had great results. I also use the Model Color line which is a bit thicker and in my opinion it is the better of the two. I have been using Vallejo exclusively since 2003.

My models from the LPC were all done with Vallejo Model Color.

The Vallejo Game Color DA Green equivalent has never, ever been a good color for me. It always seems too fluid, not enough pigmentation. I've tossed out three bottles of it and just use my reserves of DA Green, I have had no luck with it, refuse to buy the Vallejo color any more. If no reserves of DA Green are available, check out my New GW to Old GW paint comparison thread in this forum and you'll see that Caliban Green + Waywatcher Green glaze gives a very close approximation of DA Green. Yeah, it stinks to use two colors when one used to do, but at least you can still get really close.

Thanks guys, I guess its just not me then. I thought maybe because it was so separated it was just a bad batch, but good to know so I don't order another.

Bryan Blaire that thread was really helpful, I'm going to go pick up a few of the new colors you tested out. Interesting how they had several variations on the step by step, I guess even GW is trying to figure out how to convert the new colors for DA!

I have never cared for valejo. they are too thin for me. I actually like GWs new line. i like having the option to thin down as I want. BUT, I never thin with tap water I use a 1/10 mix of liquitex flo aid and distilled water. tap water, is treated with all kinds of things, floride, clorine etc. all of which can alter paint performance. just a thought.

I've used valejo with no problem, could just be bad bottle. Reaper Pine Green is an excellent replacement. Check their triads I think you'll be surprised by the way the colors lay out. Thin coats are much better than all 1 layer.

I love Vallejo paints, but the one thing you have to look out for is the paint and the medium separating if the bottle sits for a long time. There have been several times where I thought I shook the bottle enough and the paint came out thin and runny with more medium than pigment.

Make sure you shake the crap out of the bottle before trying it again, and I mean a good 1-2 minutes. I've recently taken to dropping glass beads into all of my paint bottles to make agitation less of a chore.

Archived