thinking of starting dark angels

xisor83

So some of you may have already seen my thread in the general discussion section but thought i would try and get some advice from the guys that only check this section too. I am just about to start a 40k army in the hope that 6th edition will be as good as everyone is hoping and ive picked up a load of bikes and some dark angel marines from a friend. Now i was toying with the idea of a sons of medusa chapter but having taken some time to learn dark angel fluff i really like them too. I would want to run a successor chapter as oppose to the standard colour scheme but cant find one i really like the colours for on the marine lexicanum, any of you guys know of any other resources i can use to find successor chapters or will the 4 or 5 on the lexicanum be all there is?

I know there's the option of a DIY chapter but i would much prefer to use an existing one thats just not seen too often.

So some of you may have already seen my thread in the general discussion section but thought i would try and get some advice from the guys that only check this section too. I am just about to start a 40k army in the hope that 6th edition will be as good as everyone is hoping and ive picked up a load of bikes and some dark angel marines from a friend. Now i was toying with the idea of a sons of medusa chapter but having taken some time to learn dark angel fluff i really like them too. I would want to run a successor chapter as oppose to the standard colour scheme but cant find one i really like the colours for on the marine lexicanum, any of you guys know of any other resources i can use to find successor chapters or will the 4 or 5 on the lexicanum be all there is?

I know there's the option of a DIY chapter but i would much prefer to use an existing one thats just not seen too often.

Those are the really the only official ones. DIY successor might be your answer if you don't like any of the colors. What is it you don't like about the colors?

maybe saying i didnt like the colours was wrong it was just one didnt jump out at me. Angels of absolution could be nice with the white armour and having green robes so thats a possible. and also the angels of redemption is pretty nice although im not sure how easy it is to paint the marines half and half.

so here is the first model i have done for my dark angels. Now i havent done any markings on the opads yet as i am undecided on wether to make my own chapter or go with either standard dark angles of the disciples of caliban. Do you guys think this colour scheme could pass as both of those chapters if it had the correct markings etc? I wanted to scheme to look a bit more gritty than the actual colours used in the codex as they all look a bit too clean cut for my liking. Anyway heres the pics i am by no means a great painter so any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have already thought about changin a single pad to bone with green surriound to make the model pop a bit more but what you guys think?

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/11062012555.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/11062012557.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/11062012556.jpg

nice! Sometimes that rough painting style just works so damn well. reminds me of those older john blanche paintings. as for your chapter choice, DoC are seen less than DA IMO. but changing the shoulderpad would be a great way to to iether one yours!

ok so i decided to do another test model and here he is

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/18062012563.jpg

just needs the chapter markings once i decide on a chapter name and logo but really struggling with the name

I'd drill out the bolter, and give the bolter a more black finish. add some red to the purity seal, too.

2nd model looks like a SW to me :lol:. But looks good none the less. I'd black the bolter a bit though.

I really like the first color scheme, and job you did on it,I think it looks great! I had the same problem, and actually did the gold around the pauldrons as well, so maybe I'm a wee bit biased. :lol:

The second color scheme looks great also, although it doesn't jump out at me as a Dark Angel. Not that that is even remotely a bad thing, markings can change that in a heartbeat, or adding DA specific pauldrons and/or backpacks might help tie it to make it pop out more as a DA successor.

Whichever color you go with though, I think they both look great!

thanks for the positive feedback guys. A regular opponent of mine was round this morning and he said he likes the colours but it didnt look dark angel to him. I was going to get around this by having at least half of each squad wearing the dark angel robes but the more i think about it my bikes, sppeders and tanks may be even harder to make look more DA. One thing i dont want to do is end up with one of those marine armies that people think you just swap and change to whatever is currenlty powerful in game.

Cool ;) Black might not be the best though as it'll just darken the existing colour... whereas a green wash might 'green' the armour sufficiently to take it away from it's current slightly 'stone washed' look. Either way... tests required.

ok this is just a green wash over the power armour bits. i actually prefer him as hes a bit darker but yopu can still get the battleworn look what do you think?

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/19062012567.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/19062012568.jpg

I like how the model has turned out...but it doesn't have a Dark Angels flair to it, if you know what I mean.

IMO, better the first version, just a bit of "cleaning" up the rims of the shoulder pads and the purity seals and I'd call it table top ^_^

In the end, its your models and as long as YOU like it how it looks :)

Me for example, my bikes have sand colour chasis instead of the usual black...my way of blending all the wings into the first company (which is my favourite).

• 3 weeks later...

ok so heres an update at where im at. I have finished my first marine in a scheme i am happy with. Its supposed to be disciples of caliban so dark green and black but the chapter marking is a lion holding a sword. Now as you can see the marines i am using have the dark angel pads and robes. Seems a shame to remove the really nice dark angel pads just to replace with plain pads so i can out a lion on there. Would a dark angel successor chapter always use the lion marking or is there a chance that they could still have dark angel logos on them?

I would prefer to use a successor chapter for fluff reasons but if it means taking apart my army i may just have to go for a standard dark angel chapter in the black and green that i like. Anyway heres a couple of images of the guy thats done with 4 half done ones.

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/07072012588.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/07072012589.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/07072012590.jpg

Thoughts?

The canon of WH40K is meant by GW to be mutable, ultimatly leaving it up to every player to do things in whatever manner they chose. That said, Chapter Badges serve a few purposes in the official canon. Identification of being the primary, of course... But also morale, strikign fear in your enemies, and (to the mind of the Imperium) granting a religious/spiritual protection to the bearer.

So, on the one hand, bearing the Chapter Badge that is not your own would seem to be a terrible, terrible thing. You'll be misindentified on the field, you'll be dishonoring your Chapter, you'll anger the machine spirit, yadda yadda yadda... But, one could make the case that for a successor chapter, especial for ones with the incredibly tight relationships of the Unforgiven, that not bearing the old chapter badge would be just as bad. "This armor was born by Sergeant Somesuch during the Horus Heresy. He fought at the side of the Lion and was honored to be part of founding this successor chapter! How could I remove his original mark of honor!?"

Another idea, and a simple one at that, is to declare that your army represents some other Successor Chapter. The First Legion was massive at the end of the Heresy and would have been split into more than the handful of chapters named in the Codex (and reprinted on Lexicanum)... plus, their have been several dozen Foundings in the 10,000 years since the orignal Post-Heresy split. Call your toy soldiers something like the Disciples of the Lion or Angels of Atonement, they wear the colours of the Disciples of Caliban, but bear the badges of the Dark Angels... Maybe make the simplest of cosmetic changes to the badge, like color or use a fine detail brush or a swipe of a hobby knife,and make all of them have a broken sword.

The one with the DA with the thing a mi gig in his hand. First time I saw it, and then with the repaint, it looks like he is holding out his "johnson" out. :lol:

Great job, love the second paint job with the green over the blue.

Beautiful, keep the dark edge with the tabbards/robes/cloth.

The weapons: black and boltgun OR a very dark red with boltgun metal.

But make the symbols a bit 'brighter' (though not TOO much)

Good job in any case! ;)

Archived