A bit new, but a elite choice idea

Crimson Wolf

Okay so about to be getting my first set soon, but thinking ahead (like my ocd demands it! XD) I was thinking of elite choice ideas since I hear you can only have three. And my idea was this, A Master of the Forge Techmarine, A ironclad dread with a Heavy Plasma cannon, a twin lascannon on the other arm slot, the hellfire missles, and I guess whatever misc (i think on the chest it had a option for some kinda frak launcher?), stuff to put on it. Then a Venerable dread, with Plasma cannon, chainfist+flamer.

Again still going to be new at this so don't rip me too hard if I made some new mistake in this thought process >.>

Just checking, but have to ask based on your first post, but do you have the Codex? Because as someone has pointed out the Ironclad config you suggested can't be done. If you haven't it's worth starting at that first before choosing Elites.

I'll say this though, Elites are a unit type that you want to have a specific purpose. And that purpose can come from being a general killy unit to a support unit. The units you suggest are support units, which means you need to have planned out the rest of your force before knowing whether that unit can truly fit into your army. Just something to think about.

Ah see I didn't know about having one or the other yet x.x And yeah shoulda said I haven't gotten the codex yet, waiting till 6th comes out to buy the first Assault on Black Reach set to start out (then save up for the others o.o ) But yeah mainly my thought process was, have one dread with nothing but range (and the Plasma cannon has always been a fan fav of mine), another with a cqc weapon and a plasma also, and a techpriest to support. But yeah as my post said before hand, I'm thinking waaay ahead of myself for starting just to get kind of a general feel to things.

edit: Dark Guard: Well my mind set to them would be like a very heavy support with the two dreads and a overall support with the Techpriest.

The thing to balance is what models you want to buy/paint/play with simply because they are cool, and what models will work well on the battlefield. Whilst there's a lot to be said for fielding a cool army, fielding a cool non-competetive army will become depressing after a while.

So my advice would be to read the codex, paint up some core choices - settling on a chhapter/colour scheme can take a while (took me over a year before I was finally happy with my colour scheme)......tactical marines with some special/heavy weapons are always a good choice as they will still be useful in 6th Ed, and get the 6th Ed rulebook when it comes out in a few weeks time.

Good luck! :)

I agree with facmanpob, I'd stick to some units like Tactical squads which are always going to be useful, no matter the rules. Dreads can be a bit niche at times, you really want to make sure you paint up all the options etc, I suppose a Venerable kit for that plasma cannon wouldn't be so bad. I'd recommend the Rifleman Dread, but without knowing 6th Ed vehicle rules I can't be sure how useful it'll be in the next edition.

Sternguard will likely still be useful in 6th Ed, but again, you can't be sure. So you may want to just stick with Troops and HQs until the new edition comes out.

CW - staying with the OP -

I recommend you just invest that $$ in assault terminators. You can be all OCD with them...and feel competitive, AND their impact will be very good in 6th edition. You can model them all to be completely identical too! But I'd go 3 TH/SS, 2 dual claw versions. Give them all fancy names.

If you get dreads, I love venerable ones (MM/HF/DCCW), but the ones that give me the most problems are Ironclads...I'd hold off on the Pod until you see 6th.

MOF? Unless you a designing the army around him for fluff or list reasons, I'd defer that choice for a few paychecks...

Hmm okay I see the good points, so basically, just keep saving up and wait till 6th until I make any choices x.x And facemanpob, yeah that is basically what I'm doing now, is just getting a feel for what id want to get, and trying to STILL be happy with a paint scheme I'm working on, but I keep making changes to it XD

also quick edit on a question. The Terminator Chaplin, is it worth buying, because a friend who used to play told me chaplains can gives some good strength to your army.

One thing to remember is that certain Space Marine units NEVER go out of style. All of the Marine models in the Black Reach set have been around since the dawn of time, and will continue to be such until they stop making the game. You can't go wrong with the Black Reach set if you intend to play Marines (or Orks). You will want to pick it up soon though, as it will go away shortly after 6th Edition is released, to make room for the 6th Edition starter box, whatever that may be.

Your first purchase should be your Codex though. You can even buy that now, before 6th Edition, because it will not change for some time. You may not be able to understand allof the rules, but the background and army list information will help you in making decisions on what to buy.

also quick edit on a question. The Terminator Chaplin, is it worth buying, because a friend who used to play told me chaplains can gives some good strength to your army.

Apart from any gaming reason, the Termy Chaplain is one of the coolest looking miniatures that GW have ever produced, and for many people that's as good a reason as any to buy one and paint it! :rolleyes:

As for utility on the battlefield, if 6th Ed is going to go all psyker-ville, a Terminator Librarian may be of better value....

Archived