Ludovic's Angels of Fire

Dosjetka

Well, after having taken up a brush again, I have finally gotten a Space Marine model fully painted! No base yet, but that will come :D

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1843.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1842.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1846.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1847.jpg

There's no bolt gun either, but that's getting painted right now. I'm quite happy with the flames as it's the first time I do anything like it, even though there's room for much improvement. AH well, mastery comes with practice! :)

I'll try and update again soon!

Ludovic

Cheers Syth :D I'm still not 100% happy with the flames, but they'll do for now. I'll just have to practice on the next Marines that I'm going to paint.

As for the Imperial Fists... Well I never found the yellow that I wanted, it's a real pain to paint and I ruined about three models trying to paint yellow... So unless I get my hands on some new GW yellow paints, I'm going to call it a defeat and not touch Imperial Fists for a while...

Ludovic

i like the choice of colors, but all the mold lines make me think it's a test model ;)

looking forward to more...

Argh! On the model itself, they're not that visible :pinch: Ah well, I'll have to be more careful with the next one!

Cheers for the compliments though, they are appreciated :)

Ludovic

Argh! On the model itself, they're not that visible :pinch: Ah well, I'll have to be more careful with the next one!

Cheers for the compliments though, they are appreciated ;)

Ludovic

i feel you brother, can't count how often i just realised mold lines after taking pictures of models i thought finished :)

It is admittedly a little spoiled by the mold lines but overall, very very nice BBL. The flames and eyes EDIT: and wire details are particularly good!

Good attention to detail man, the flames look pretty good for a first. Amusingly so, my favorite part of the model is the hazard striped cable on his lower leg! :pinch:

One thing I noticed is the paint's a bit thick. Thinning it down more through your entire painting process will offer better results. It's always a pain, but one that's worth taking.

It is admittedly a little spoiled by the mold lines but overall, very very nice BBL. The flames and eyes EDIT: and wire details are particularly good!

Point taken and thank you for the kind words ;) Those eyes were a pain though and I had to do the hidden one (ie. the one on the left side) three times due to shaky hands :pinch:

Good attention to detail man, the flames look pretty good for a first. Amusingly so, my favorite part of the model is the hazard striped cable on his lower leg! :)

One thing I noticed is the paint's a bit thick. Thinning it down more through your entire painting process will offer better results. It's always a pain, but one that's worth taking.

Thank you DP :) I'm still looking forward to seeing your Space Marine army ;) For the hazard stripes, I can't take the credit as I got inspired by Candleshoes for those, but thanks for the praise anyway ;)

As for the thickness of the paint, I find that a bit strange as I water down all of my paints... Which parts look like they had too much paint put on them?

Ludovic

Neat paintjob... the base needs some work though! ;)

Btw, for Imperial Fists, I can't recommend Army Painter Daemonic Yellow strongly enough, it's the business.

The bases will all be done together :)

I may try that then... Cheers for the tip!

Ludovic

Don't give up Ludovic. It's not the fist way. If you persist and master yellow you're overall painting level will sky rocket. Honestly it teaches you so much.

The real trick to it is to not disrturb paint you have already applied. This is easy if you pick one edge (of anything) to start from and always work against this wet edge. It's when you're brush hits paint that has already started to dry that you get tides marks and streaks. The other option is to make sure the paint you've already applied is TOTALLY dry before going back to the same area of the model.

Anyhoo about this model. Good job on the flames I really like em, eyes too. Mold lines are my nemesis. I'm close to finishing my first ever space marine squad though now and know what to watch out for (back packs and helmets) in the future I vow to purge them all! I have found that taking the time to properly prepare models before painting makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Anyway good work Ludovic. Now get those 3 marines bathed in dettol and have another crack. I am no master painter but ill happily help you to get a better yellow.

Love the rich tones on the armour and the freehand blending on the flames. Just amazing all around and very skillfully done.

Interesting you went with the older green/emerald eyes over the yellow or black with a yellow dot from the Imperial Armour books.

WHOOO!!! An Armageddon Chapter, nice call man! If you need anyallies, my Marines Malevolent will fight with you.... if you don't mind some crates of ammo coming up missing, lol.

Down to buisness....one thing that I think would help would be for you to go back over the raised areas with your base color after your initial wash, but before your highlights. This will make your shaded areas pop more, and still give the mini a rich tone. Just food for thought, bro. -_-

Looking forward to more, man!

Rhetoricus: Cheers for the kind words mate, I really do appreciate them ;) And yes, it's not the Fist way, but this is the first time in seven years of hobby that I've been happy with what I've painted, so for now, until I get a small gaming force together, I'll stick with my Angels of Fire. Plus, I find red such a pleasure to paint and it actually looks good when I try to paint it. I will however try yellow again sometime soon, I'll promise you that, so keep your eyes out for any PM's from me in the near future ;) Again, thanks for the kind words!

Candleshoes: I can only thank you for the recipe for that gorgeous red ;) And cheers for the praise! For the eyes, well I like painting my grenades green, and on the original Angels of Fire paint scheme, their eyes are green, so it was pretty much a no-brainer for me.

1000heathens: Cheers mate! Yeah, I wouldn't mind your help, but if you think you can just pinch my stuff when I'm not looking, you've got another thing coming ;)

However, I'm not too sure what you mean with your advice, due to the bizarre way I painted the armour. Let me explain how I did it:

1) Over a black basecoat, I painted Mechrite Red.

2) Leaving the previous coat poke out in the recesses, I painted on Blood Red.

3) I then covered the whole model in Devlan Mud to tone down the red.

4) Then I highlighted with Blazing Orange and Vomit Brown.

5) Last wash of Baal Red to bring it all together.

So what would I have to go over the highlights with?

Cheers,

Ludovic

Thank you DP ^_^ I'm still looking forward to seeing your Space Marine army :o For the hazard stripes, I can't take the credit as I got inspired by Candleshoes for those, but thanks for the praise anyway ;)

As for the thickness of the paint, I find that a bit strange as I water down all of my paints... Which parts look like they had too much paint put on them?

Ludovic

You can see a build up of layers (slight ridges) in the flames on the left shoulder pad and to a lesser degree the helm too. I wouldn't worry about that too much, once you nail the recipe there'll be less faffing about and everything will smooth out.

I think the next step for improving these guys is simply neatness, there are some areas where the red has crept 'over the lines' so to speak (black shoulder pad rims, back of the knee ribbing) or other colours have gotten loose (some gold from the skull on the helmet is flecked on the helmet itself for example). Equally, tightening up the neatness on the final highlights - making the lines a touch thinner and neater and the colour just a shade more consistent - will also take just a little more time and improve the end result many times over.

All up though :lol: Looking forward to more Angels...

Im a big fan of this scheme, I always wanted to see someone paint it up and youve done it justice

Cheers Terminator, I'm glad you like him :)

SCC: Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, the shoulder pads are pretty thick with paint due to the sheer amount of layers I did for those flames... I'll try and make it a bit thinner next time. For the neatness, yeah it is a bit shaky, due to me being physically nervous (ie.hands shaking) while painting because it's been so long since I last painted something :D Anyway, cheers for the kind words and the constructive criticism, I really do appreciate it :tu:

Ludovic

To my untrained eye it looks pretty cool... And I had to look three times to see the mould lines in question /epicfail

In real life, they're actually quite tiny and barely noticeable (at least, before someone points them out to you, after which they become big lines of dirt, weeping imagined pus and gore, making me want to remove them with zeal more righteous than that of a flamer-toting nun), so I can understand you (in a way).

Cheers for the thumbs up though :)

Ludovic

Edit: Typos removed.

2nd Edit: I'm blabbing nonsense, so off to bed with me! Weeee!

To my untrained eye it looks pretty cool... And I had to look three times to see the mould lines in question /epicfail

In real life, they're actually quite tiny and barely noticeable (at least, before someone points them out to you, after which they become big lines of dirt, weeping imagined pus and gore, making me want to remove them with zeal more righteous than that of a flamer-toting nun), so I can understand you (in a way).

Take that as more "I know nothing about painting/modelling/women" :)

Archived