Ludovic's Angels of Fire

Dosjetka

*bump*

A picture-less update to say that I've done the bolt gun for the first chap, I've finished painting a second Tactical Marine (just need to finish off his converted bolt gun) and then I'll get started in a Scout. He's not part of my vow but I had him lying about, so I thought that I would give him some love :(

I'll try and take some pictures later on!

Ludovic

EDIT: I actually have a question for you people who may come across this: where should I put Squad and/or Company numbers? Should I put them on the knee pads (classical) in a dirty white or somewhere else?

EDIT: I actually have a question for you people who may come across this: where should I put Squad and/or Company numbers? Should I put them on the knee pads (classical) in a dirty white or somewhere else?

While the knee pad is more traditional, I think that incorporating the company/squad number into shoulderpad iconography looks slick, or getting small shields on the shoulderpad or near it and slapping the number with personal heraldry in the background looks good too

Picture update!

So, here's last week's Space Marine with his bolt gun. Alas, still no bases, but they'll come towards the end and will be done for every model at the same time ;)

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1858.jpg

And here's the one I painted up during these past couple of days (bolt gun in the works).

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1860.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1863.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1864.jpg

And here's the Scout that I'm painting up right now, in the early stages of painting. He was supposed to be a Blood Angel, but he got re-purposed ;) He's not part of my vow either, but I wanted to paint something a bit different.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1862.jpg

I'll have him finished in about half an hour max, so more pictures will come soon!

While the knee pad is more traditional, I think that incorporating the company/squad number into shoulderpad iconography looks slick, or getting small shields on the shoulderpad or near it and slapping the number with personal heraldry in the background looks good too

Cheers The_Chaplain :) I'll try and find some shields for them, I think... Or I may include the number among the flames... Hm...

Ludovic

Eeek! Double post :(

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1876.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1878.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1875.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/spez1295/IMG_1877.jpg

He's not yet finished as I'm not sure if I'll just do a single flame on the shoulder pads for Scouts, as opposed to a bed of flames for Battle-Brothers or not... Thoughts?

Ludovic

Single flame for scouts is a neat idea. The converse is interesting too, implying that captains, vets or ancients could be literally ablaze.

There will definitely be more flames on them, though exactly how much will have to be decided upon. Cheers for the input though Alex, it is appreciated :( Are you still working on your Imperial Fists or have you put that on the back burner?

Ludovic

Making good progress here BBL :)

On markings, I like the 'traditional' squad markings (squad type & number) on shoulders opposite Chapter markings personally, I like the balanced look of it.

For Company markings, maybe try something more exotic than numbers. The DA use markings on the left kneepad/lower leg to denote Company, I've always like the checks and stripes they use personally, and other Chapters have been known to use the Company colour or incorporate the Captain's heraldry into Company markings (kinda like like the SW, but a little more subtle).

Cheers SCC :)

As for the advice on Company/Squad markings, the Chapter badge is on both shoulder pads and I'm not thinking of changing that as it looks quite cool. I may go with kneepad markings (Company colour in the background with squad designation on that. The squad number would be on the squad designation).

I'll give it a try on one of the Space Marines and see how it looks.

Ludovic

They are coming along nicely. Like you I think the double flame works on the pads. Company could be denoted on the knee pads, maybe similar to how the Dark Angels do theirs? Perhaps that might be too knightly.

Just a quick question, is this a DIY or an obscure chapter with minimal fluff?

Thanks Syth :tu:

Yeah, I'll be doing it on the knee pads. And they're an obscure GW Chapter that fought during the Third Armageddon War. My main opponent plays Orks, I love red, I love flames and I can create my own fluff. What more could I ask for? :lol:

Ludovic

How did I miss this thread!

I love the red you have achieved on these guys Ludovic, looks like smouldering Lava. The black contrasts really well and I am particularly fond of the second guy with the full black pad and converted combi bolter. The scout looks great too and his soft armour looks like ash which again complements the Fire theme. How do you plan on doing the bases for them.

I would love to hear some fluff for these guys and know what direction you plan on taking them.

Great work

Cheers

Syth: I may just do that ;)

DAT: In the end, I couldn't just paint one flame (it looked horrid), so I did a bed of flames like the rest of them. Meh.

The Yak: Firstly, I have to thank you because you've just given me the motivation to get these going again after I thought that I would abandon this project :lol: Secondly, thanks for the praise, it is appreciated :P As for fluff, they don't have much, bar that they participated in the 3rd War for Armageddon. I'm not too sure in which direction I'll be going with these chaps either, but I though getting a Tactical Squad and a squad of Scouts couldn't be a bad start.

Cheers,

Ludovic

Just flicking through the thread got me thinking all about this mysterious chapter. I looked on Warhammer wiki and as you have said you almost have a blank canvas in which direction you could take them...

Ultramarines? strict adherents to the codex.... nah not for me, they already have deviated from the codex with their organisational markings so may as well delve deeper...

Dark Angels? Well this would give you the option for combining in a more monastic look. Black robes, Firey Interrogator chaplains, flame wreathed bike squadrons....

Blood Angels? Again this opens up access to the blood Angels bits range. On the wiki page there is a winged flame icon, I dont know what your GS skills are like but It wouldn't take much to turn the blood drop into the small flame icon to have on a few veterans or command figures. It also may open up the use of the Legion of the damned range for using as some kind of smouldering death company...

Slamanders? Well the obvious ties with the flames looks like a good start. I notice the Razorback on the wiki page has a multi melta, could this lead to a heavy flamer and multi melta led force...

Then just think of what you could do with your command, what could be cooler than a flame covered Librarian! Cool Dreadnoughts toting inferno cannons and multi meltas, Land Raider redeemer anyone? Also with them fighting on Armageddon how about an allied detachment of guard with a Hellhound!!!

Reading through your thread I see you couldn't find a scheme that you liked for your fists. This happens, sometimes we just don't enjoy painting certain colours. I know white power armour is a lady dog for me to paint. However you seem to have nailed this red. The three miniatures you have done so far all look excellent and most importantly the red is consistent, perfect for ploughing ahead.

As for squad markings and numbers maybe leave them for a while until you have completed a few more, inspiration often comes when we least expect it and you may think of something later on.

Anyway good luck, I cant wait to see some more of these cool models

Cheers

PS: Also I don't see anyone else doing these guys so you get the rare joy of having a rare unique chapter!

I really appreciate he praise, Yak :sweat: And I'm glad you like these chaps!

Now, for the fluff side of things, I'm not sure where I want to head. None of the above ideas you've given me really appeal to me, sadly :( I guess I'll just have to sit down and think about it sometime... Or maybe play a few games and then see what my play style is like and base my decision off that? Hum...

Ludovic

EDIT: Oh, and thank you too for the praise, Mr.Malevolent ;)

Archived