Assaulty Codex Chapter

Demus Ragnok

If one was to build an assault focused codex chapter how would you go about it. I have read that codex marines aren't the best assault army in 40k. But I'm working on a Iron Hands successor DIY chapter that I want to be "more choppy, less shooty". They embrace that part of their primarch that went changing straight at Fulgrim on Istvann V. Just looking for some basic list build ideas for run in and smash your face tactics.

I'd say its possible, certainly not the most competative CC army but still playable for fun.

TH/SS (or maybe even LC with Chappy/Korsarro/both) Termi's in a LRC are an obvious first choice for a choppy C:SM list. I'd also say a Bike Captain would be useful, both for the highly choppy Bike Command Squad and that you get some fast moving fire support Troops in standard Bike squads. Maybe a big Assault squad with Chaplain too? Or an Ironclad in a pod?

Probably give most Sgts a fist or at least a PW, if you're aiming to always get up close?

You'd still need heavy firepower, but that could come from Typhoons/maybe Stormtalons, if you run out of FA slots/need more points maybe a single weapon Predator or two? (probably AC, admittedly not the best, but cheap and could keep up with the rest of the force)

Hmmm well even if you want to get into close combat don't ignore your tactical shooting advantages.

I'd say drop pods and land raiders are the way to go. Outfit some filthy terminators for hth and give pfs to your sgts.

Pw are cool but they won't give the edge you seem to be wanting.

But from a csm player who has some fists and other space marines come at me often I can say lords in drop pods with a good hth squad are the most successful for assaulting.

Pedro I think gives an extra attack to each squad memeber, so he may be worth looking into. (I think he's ranged based tbh so id your assault squads are in close proximity ??? Profit?

So get into range soften em up then assaulty time.

Good luck.

Tac marines are better at CC than your average joe guardsman. Bike marines can fill troop slots with a Bike captain and you can still have a bike command squad for the serious CC punch. You would have to use it as the second wave in an assault or use it as counter assault. You would still have all of your fast attack slots open for serious firepower. Melta on your bike troops(with up to 4 melta shots) will kill anything AV13-14 and typhoons can kill anything AV12 or monsterous OR hordes. Bike marines don't really shine in starting assaults as much as mopping up and staying out of reach. They have mobility, toughness, and armor helping them, not power weapons or number of attacks.

Pedro gives the ability to take honor guard, which are good for CC and as a reason to spend money on fancy looking armor.

Dreads in drop pods sound like a great idea if you use them as support. Even two fisted dreads don't add that many attacks. They do add great firepower in CC ranges. A regular dread with assault cannon and heavy flamer is about as all rounder as you can get. The problem with dreads is that every codex has an easily spammable weapon to kill them, you're playing the lottery on what shows up as always.

If you'd prefer to avoid non-assault units, take a look at Scouts as your Troops slots. They can be kitted for melee and objective camping and are cheaper than tacticals, though their survivability also drops with the price.

Your biggest obstacle is going to be heavy firepower support. Space Marine assault units are notoriusly short on heavy firepower like meltaguns.

I'd suggest looking at Brom's army in the Army List forum. He uses a couple of big Scout squads, a big Hammernator squad, Shrike, and a load of fire support. So quite assaulty.

There's a lot of assaulty units in the Codex, it's just that many pale in comparison to the assault units of other armies. Blood Angels have better Assault Marines thanks to Priests, Grey Knights have tons of power weapons etc. So you need to be careful with what you take and how much you take, and balance it out with supporting fire. Pick your fights well and don't try to go toe to toe with bigger assault units.

If you have the models, go ahead and get going on a "7th Company" list:

Kantor (obvious bump to cc-like abilities and you get to be all stubborn) or Kahn (interesting perks) or whatizname (gives you other perks like fleet)

Librarian (you NEED null zone) - lesser choice is a chaplain (question is whether you want an area effect, or just one squad buffed)

2 tactical squads (required, your choice of transport, etc.), max on assault weapons

2 squads of assault marines (note, may get a further buff in 6th edition of chainswords become better than bayonets), bolt pistols, chainswords, special weapons, PW/PF, etc

1 full bike squad to stay in theme (landspeeders have no assault value, so bikes are better, tooled for shooting and assaulting)

After that - 1st Company Support

Assault terminators /w transport or lesser choice is Vanguard (iffy based on points, BUT can be badass if used well)

Assault Dread like an Ironclad w/ pod

After that - long range support, either predators, or 9th company devs...or...thinking of how units were first modelled in Epic - a number of Vindicators equal to number of jump pack squads...

Archived