Vengeance Hawks

gallery_26_548_60715.png
As anyone who has been around the B&C long enough knows, I have a terrible track record for getting armies painted. That's mostly due to the vagaries of having a job and a family, and going to class at night, but you don't want to hear me whining. This summer, however, I may actually be in circumstances where I'll be able to get an army painted. So, in an effort to keep up with the Joneses (read: SCC with Shadow Force Dragomir and Brother Argos with his Iron Hands), I'm going to focus my efforts on my DIY Vengeance Hawks. You can see the basic scheme of that Chapter at right. It should be noted that SCC actually painted up a Librarian in VH colors, Epistolary Dienekes, seen here. I plan on making the orange a bit more metallic. Actually, a lot more metallic.

Anyhoo, before I get painting, I need to refresh my paints. I want to make sure that I have enough for a complete army (about 2,000 points worth, though I haven't really worked out the particulars on my army list). With GW/Citadel revamping their whole line, I need to get a new batch of paints (damn you, GW! ;) ). So I've drafted up a preliminary set of paint recipes for the baseline color scheme, as seen in the table below.

This is all notional and based on looking at colors on the screen, however, which is notably tricky. The key is that I want to focus my purchases before I open my wallet to GW. So if you have any suggestions for revisions, please let me know. I have a few weeks before I actually visit the store to plonk down an arm and a leg for paint supplies. Just keep in mind that the orange you see in Dienekes (if you followed the link, that is) is a bright non-metallic color whereas I'm going for more of a metallic orange - more of a shining bronze.[clearfloat][/clearfloat]
Vengeance Hawks paint recipes
Grey
(body)
gallery_26_548_2586.jpg
Rakarth Flesh
gallery_26_548_362.jpg
Nuln Oil
gallery_26_548_1810.jpg
Warpfiend Grey
gallery_26_548_736.jpg
Slaanesh Grey
[/td]
gallery_26_548_1638.jpg
Screaming Bell
gallery_26_548_740.jpg
Fuegan Orange
gallery_26_548_2967.jpg
Gehenna’s Gold
gallery_26_548_3546.jpg
Auric Armour Gold
gallery_26_548_1499.jpg
Casandora Yellow
gallery_26_548_14.jpg
‘Ardcoat
Black
(badges)
gallery_26_548_1666.jpg
Abaddon Black
gallery_26_548_362.jpg
Nuln Oil
gallery_26_548_1407.jpg
Eshin Grey
gallery_26_548_1715.jpg
Administratum Grey
White
(squad & company numbers)
gallery_26_548_736.jpg
Slaanesh Grey
gallery_26_548_2825.jpg
White Scar
Green
(eyes & lenses)
gallery_26_548_2825.jpg
White Scar
gallery_26_548_53.jpg
Waywatcher Green

Right off the bat, one thing I'm considering is changing the final wash of Casandora Yellow (on the arms) with a glaze of 50:50 Lamenters Yellow and Bloodletter Red (I'll call it Vengeance Hawks Orange B) ). If I didn't have to go to work right now, there would be nifty pictures. :)

• 1 month later...
I painted a test mini today and was not pleased with the outcome. I definitely didn't like the metallic orange and the grey was too light, so I'm revising the paint recipes a bit (going to non-metallic orange for the arms/chest design). I'll post an update on the paints here (and I'll have to go buy any that I don't have tomorrow so that I can test them out).

Mabye switch the two around (ie. have silver with non-metallic orange) or make the grey darker (which you could acheive through successive washes of Nuln Oil)?

Ludovic

I already have a (secret) silver army planned, so I'd rather avoid using silver for these guys. After looking at SCC's rendition of Dienekes, I'm adjusting the metallic orange to a yellow-orange. I'm still painting test minis, so no harm done if I don't like the outcome.

I just posted the updated recipes to my blog (follow the "Procrastinator's Anonymous" banner link below).

Archived