Wolf guard based on metal space marine veterans

skeletoro

Hey all. I had a few metal space marine veterans sitting around, and I'd like to use them as wolf guard. Unfortunately they're a bit on the pansy side, with their tabards etc. Basically I thought I'd post a few pics of where I'm at so far, what I plan to do, and then open up the floor for any suggestions anybody might have about how I could make them extra wolfy.

So anyway, I intended to give them all combi-meltas and power fists, but I liked the look of the thunderwolf cavalry thunder hammer, so I popped that on one of them. 5 pts vs rule of cool; rule of cool won. The rest will be getting converted combi-meltas (based on storm bolters), once my infernus pistols and right handed power fists arrive from ebay. I also have a 5th model which is currently in a bath of dettol, losing it's old paint job. I'll post that up later.

Anyway, here's some pics. What do you think?

DSCF5707.JPG

DSCF5708.JPG

Any suggestions most appreciated.

How good are you with greenstuff? You could sculpt fur onto the tabards and turn them into pelts. You could also sculpt runes onto the armour and various fangs and claws too.

to be honest, I'm pretty bad with green stuff :lol: What would be the best way to do the fur? I've noticed that you can buy fur molds - how do you go about using them? Do you just make a thin flat sheet with the mold, wait for it to set, and then cut it into shape and carefully glue it onto the tabard (will the green stuff stay flexible enough to do this after setting?) I don't think I could freehand very convincing fur!!

I'm not even sure what colour I would paint cloth on a space wolf... perhaps paint it as leather? That might look a bit weird, like they're wearing aprons or something :)

Another related issue is how bad cloth looks alongside fur. Is it pretty much an instant deportation from Fenris, or can it look OK? I tried searching for pictures of space wolves with mixed cloth + pelts but couldn't find anything. This issue is especially timely with the release of the new standard bearer and captain combo from Forgeworld. I love the models and am sorely tempted to buy them... but they do have some serious Roman-ness going on. I'm not sure how out of place they'd look.

One of those links itself contained a link to a youtube video explaining the technique used in sculpting fur. Made it look a lot easier than I'd imagined. I may have to try it out on one of these loincloths! Cheers :P

One of those links itself contained a link to a youtube video explaining the technique used in sculpting fur. Made it look a lot easier than I'd imagined. I may have to try it out on one of these loincloths! Cheers :P

Just give it a go and show us the results! Practice makes perfect as they say - had a couple of goes myself and it's really not that difficult to do.

Green stuffing fur is pretty easy. I have no green stuff ability at all and I managed fairly passable fur on my first attempt by basically poking a flat bit of green stuff with a cocktail stick. :P So as Lestat said give it a go and post up the results.

Thanks for the encouraging words all. I'll get cracking! Sadly they won't be painted for some time. I'm putting together my army (aiming for about 2500 points total but will prioritize painting a 1500 pt subset of that first) but have only half finished painting the first 5 grey hunters. They're a test batch - I'm still settling on the best way to paint leather, fur, metallics, etc etc.. but I think putting the final touches on those first 5 models will be a real milestone. I haven't done much painting in several years!

DSCF5710.JPG

I added fur to the space-nappy and a wolf-skull. My first attempt - how does that look? I think it looks... OK, but it's hard to decide whether it will look seemless when painted or clearly green-stuffed.

Your fur is looking ace. I have sometimes not filled the tabbard with pelt as it can look cool anyway and give some colour with the leather brown as a sort spotcolour. The reason for Arjac's loincloth is his black smith background. A thing I would consider was to remove all purity seals that sit in the open like legs and the skull on the shoulder. I wouldn't mess around with sculpting because they tend to look crappy if you ace them. Look Thread o wolves.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=245971

and you'll see that I chose painted runes because of the risc of failing in sculpting.

Anywho the colour of shadow grey removes many doubts concerning chapter.

And guys: do remember the beaty of collecting Wolves and one of my mantras: If in doubt, replace with fur or beard!

Cheers

-Blackmane

The GS fur is looking pretty sweet - it really is simple to do. The skull is a nice touch too. Adding little trophies and fetishes (not the kinky kind :P ) or wolf-tooth necklaces add a bit of character. I wouldn't necessarily add them to every model, but use them to makecharacter models (like your Wolf Guard) stand out more.

• 2 weeks later...

I've 50-100% completed 6 wolf guards, all with combi-meltas and power fists, and now I'm hearing rumours that in 6e it's all about the plasma. This kinda makes me sad...

(I know this is the conversion subforum but) is it a bad idea, strategically, to put a combi-melta wolf guard in a squad of plasma grey hunters? I've heard of people mixing combi melta and combi melta with TDA wolf guard, after all.

OR should I start thinking carefully about changing some of these guys to combi plasma? :S

Here's some pics of where I'm at with the wolf guard. Some are more of a WIP than others (you can see blu-tack in a few of the pics - some of the bits haven't been properly fastened on yet and are just hanging off :))

I gave one of them a banner and then felt that the others might be jealous, so now all of them have banners.

I decided that replacing heads was a good way to make them look like proper wolves, and I had many heads sitting around. So I've snipped, cut, drilled and filed and changed the heads on three of the models.

I'm a bit worried about mohawk guy. Does he look like he has a feather boa wrapped around his chest? Painting it wolf-pelt colours should disambiguate and remove that impression... I hope.

But yeah. Melta. Would these guys be unfit to lead a plasma grey hunters pack armed as they are?

Cheers for the tips and encouragement!

DSCF5762.JPG

DSCF5763.JPG

DSCF5764.JPG

DSCF5765.JPG

DSCF5766.JPG

DSCF5767.JPG

Archived