Units unlocked by IC's

Torvold

Greetings Brothers and Sisters. I have a question about those units that appear in the grey box. If I take a captain and also take the Command Squad do I need to attach the captain to it or can I run it as a separate unit?

You can run them together or apart. If you had to run them together, you would see a rule that said something like 'the character loses the independent character special rule...' or 'the IC counts as an upgrade character' or 'this squad counts as a retinue for the IC..'

the last part is confusing.. given the example of the captain and command squad, no such caveat exists.

the captain and command squad are both independant units and remain so throughout the game, the IC can join any unit (inc the command squad) and leave at any point during the game also

So unless it specifically states that the units form a retinue for the IC then they are considered an independent unit from the IC and can go about doing their own thing. As an example if I took a Captain and a chappy as my HQ slots. I could then take a Command Squad and put the Chappy with them while the Captain does his own thing. The reason for my question is I have buddy actually the guy that got me into 40k who insists that if an IC has the ability to unlock a unit. Like a Captain, Chapter Master, Techmarine/MOTF that the unit they unlock if taken must be attached to the IC and can not be used otherwise.

Your friend is mostly wrong.

They are referring to the old legacy "retinue" rule like the Black Templar Command squad thing (it IS a 4th ed codex, so no surprise it has an obsolete rule) and included in the rulebook only because old codices had it.

SM command squads (Codex: Space Marines) DO NOT FORM a retinue that the IC, once unlocked, MUST join. They (once unlocked) are simply an additional unit from the FOC that he MAY join (and leave, though not on the same turn)

A bit of expansion on that topic:

As seperate units they count as seperate kill points. In scenarios where the type of FOC slot comes into play, they count as two units of that type- for example, you cant deploy a captain and a command squad- or their transport for that matter- in a dawn of war scenario as it would be 2- possibly 3- HQ choices on the field.

Dedicated transports are the exact same situation as these unlocked command squads, bodygaurds, etc- a rhino bought for a tactical squad would be scoring for example, if vehicles were not non-scoring by default.

Everyone else has summed up, there's only a few Codices with the old Retinue rules. Black Templars are one, I believe Tau are another with the Commander Bodyguard units. Both are old 4th Ed Codices. The only 5th Ed Codex that is anywhere near what your friend says is the Tyranid Hive Tyrant and Tyrant Guard. And even then they don't have to start together, they just can't join each other after deployment or split.

A bit of expansion on that topic:

As seperate units they count as seperate kill points. In scenarios where the type of FOC slot comes into play, they count as two units of that type- for example, you cant deploy a captain and a command squad- or their transport for that matter- in a dawn of war scenario as it would be 2- possibly 3- HQ choices on the field.

I thought in the description of the command squad that it stated that they did not take up a HQ FOC slot or am I missing something?

yeah there is a difference in COUNTING as something (FOC) and TAKING UP something (FOC).

if it doesnt take up the slot (in this case the honor guard) it doesnt go against the total that you can take from that location (2), BUT it is still a HQ choice for all intents and purposes

if it doesnt take up the slot (in this case the honor guard) it doesnt go against the total that you can take from that location (2), BUT it is still a HQ choice for all intents and purposes

So in a DoW senario you could deploy your Honour Guard or Command Squad as your HQ choice if you wanted to instead of your character.

So in a DoW senario you could deploy your Honour Guard or Command Squad as your HQ choice if you wanted to instead of your character.

Sure, that would be fine.

Sure, that would be fine.

EDIT: Bah! Reading comprehension is a good skill to have. Yes, you could do it just fine.

Archived