Making a Chaos Force

norskman

So, hi everyone. I mainly play Space Wolves, but my reading the Night Lords trilogy made me finally decide that I wanted my second army to be Chaos. The problem is, I really like the paint schemes for most of the legions. Okay, so I like all of them. In order to get to paint all of this variety, I was thinking of doing something related to the 13th Black Crusade. What I'm asking is would there be an army badge, or would it be better to just focus on one or two legions rather than having all of that disparity?

-Go Black Legion and use everything? with a united colour scheme (black is the new black)

-Or create your own Undivided warband that works with/for the Legions.

-Or make it a Black Crusade force consisting of several Legions and warbands.

I say use whatever you want. It doesn't matter. Our current codex was made for people to explore warbands and not feel constricted to one legion. The way I usually see it is you need to have one supreme force from one faction that holds the largest numbers in your war and. That's your leading force. Its usually better to have you main force be undivided but it doesn't have to be. You'll just need to explain that in your fluff. The rest of the factions are considered allies and compliment your main force.

For example, my Warband 'The Ankou pact' is a Night Lord Warband lead by a daemon prince. There is also substantial allies from the Word Bearers World Eaters, Death Guard, and various individuals from different chapters and warbands who flock to the daemon prince's call.

So it's really how you want to do it man. Make up your own rules.

You could do a Black Legion-like force, bypassing the black paint and just use the Legionnaires in their stereotypical roles and full paint schemes. A squad of each painted in whatever order you feel like painting them.

Alternatively there's the old Red Corsairs method of having paint schemes of the old Chapter with a simple red X on the shoulder. So you class it up a bit by doing the full Legion scheme, but reserve one shoulder pad for a custom warband color/symbol.

You know, when Horus betrayed the Emperor, he made sure all the legions with cool paint scheme were on his side.

Legions are awesome, but you should check lexicanum's list of renegade chapters/warbands and see if you find the paint scheme that suits your tastes well. About the link with the 13 BC, the Violators, the Pyre, the Warp Ghosts, the Sons of Malice... Many warbands fought in it.

Archived