Baal Pred Clairification

darth_giles

Ok, so this might be me remembering a bad call from years ago, like the guy who said that if you deep struck into difficult terrain then the figure was lost with no roll or anything, but I got to wondering about it since I hadn't heard for sure the last time I was here. I used Searchy the Wonder Skull, but he didn't turn up anything on it in the first two pages of "flamestorm" results.

Can a Flamestorm Baal shoot its flamestorm cannon in the forward arc?

The argument against it is that the template covers part of a friendly model (the tank doing the shooting), and thus can't fire forward because of that. The argument against is that its a stupid application of RAW and would make dreads unable to fire their heavy flamers.

Yes it can. There are other vehicles that work in a similar vein. The old Imperial Guard Hellhound springs to mind, and it can shoot into the forward arc. Don't ask me to cite sources, it's 4:30am and I haven't slept for about 3 days but take my word for it; the answer's yes.

I cant quote it, but the thread in the official rules came to the conclusion thatyou can indeed fire to the front arc, you can also then hit your opponent over the head with a random piece of scenery. Which if rumours are true, you can then set on fire with youre flame cannon :P
Ok, cool.

I was thinking about doing a "fire and purgation"- style BA "successor" chapter, albeit themed sorta like pre-heresy Night Lords (lots of skulls and lightning bolt markings), and one of the things that came to mind was taking lots of Flamestorm cannons. When your chapter specializes in inflicting violent, terrifying exterminatus upon a world, you can never have enough ways to set things on fire.

The whole 'can't shoot forward' is just people looking to win at any cost. The rules do state that you cannot place a template if it lands over a friendly model, however it never says you can't place it over the model itself. There are several units that actually work in this fashion. (Lukas the trickster springs to mind) That is my counter to anyone who says that. Fortunately most players have at least some common sense and won't even bring it up.

What you're looking for is partially covered in the BRB FAQ :

"Q: If a model fires a template weapon out of a vehicle, will the vehicle be hit if it is underneath the template? (p66)

A: No it will not be hit."

And if a vehicle can't be hit by the passengers firing out of a fire point, it's pretty hard to argue that it would be hit by a mounted weapon firing from a vehicle hardpoint.

I posted this in the 6th editions rumor thread but it belongs here too.

Take a close look at the new flamer template GW is releasing. You will notice that they have cut off some of the shortest end of the template. If you use this new GW template, there shouldn't be any arguments as the area effected by flames looks to be about an inch out from where your line the template up.

which doesnt matter - if its touched by the template it gets hit. No need to complicate things like that (apart from anything else suddenly a flamer fired usign that template has different rules from one fired usign an old template, despite there being no different rules)

which doesnt matter - if its touched by the template it gets hit. No need to complicate things like that (apart from anything else suddenly a flamer fired usign that template has different rules from one fired usign an old template, despite there being no different rules)

I think this new template is more important than you think.

-Say you are on the edge of terrain. If you are using the new template, the terrain is not touched. No arguments.

-If you are using the old template, even if your opponent agrees that the baal predator isn't hit, you are setting the terrain you are in on fire. You have effectively set yourself on fire.

I think this new template is more important than you think.

-Say you are on the edge of terrain. If you are using the new template, the terrain is not touched. No arguments.

-If you are using the old template, even if your opponent agrees that the baal predator isn't hit, you are setting the terrain you are in on fire. You have effectively set yourself on fire.

I noticed that too, my theory is GW might start official tournies again or they're sick of getting a thousand rules clarification requets per week.

Archived