How toequip tactical sergeant

Jiron

Hey,

I am now working on my loyalist patrol. And I am not sure, how to equip my tactical sergeant?

I mean, the tactical squad is supposed for a short range firefights (from the point I am sitting) and the question is if it makes sense to give a sergeant CC equip or just leave him with bolter to have one more.

In my Chaos Warband I usually go with power weapon and plasma pistol but as every CSM has bolter, pistol and chainsword, It's a bit different story.

Thank you for your insight loyalists!

I usually give my sergeant a combi-weapon identical to whatever special weapon the unit has.

If one marine is carrying a plasma gun then the sarge has a combi-plasma. I have dabbled with adding power weapons in the past but they rarely made their points back/felt worth it.

One big question is though: how do you intend to use the unit? If they're going to be popping open enemy transports wit melta at close range and potentially engaging the enemy in close combat (though I'd really rather deal with the enemy another way myself) then you might want to invest in a power fist. The other marines in the unit absorb other hits and you should get that guaranteed fist-attack. Pricey though.

im a big believer in not weighing down tactical sergeants with unneccesary and costly upgrades.

as a true 'support' unit and anti-infantry (they all have bolters) they should be set up as such.

personally id take the mandatory rhino and a combi-weapon on the sarge and leave it at that.. the combi can be anything that supports the current weapon load out of the unit.. if youve got ML/flamer a combi-flamer is nice.

If your running a Vulkan list a combi-melta is almost mandatory

other than that a combi-plasma combines well with las/plas and has the same range/sapid fire as bolters, which is nice

I agree with the above two posts, keep the Sergeant cheap and cheerful. A combi is very good, especially if it matched the special weapon the Tactical squad carries.

There are some exceptions though. Pedro lists in particular may gain from having Sergeants carrying power fists, as they won't be able to fall back from combat and carry on shooting (which is why you give them shooting weapons and no combat weapons in the first place) and because they will likely get an extra attack from Pedro as well. Likewise, some Vulkan lists that operate up close and can't fall back of their own accord can also benefit from power fists.

But in general I keep it to combi weapons.

Use a Power Fist if you are planning to have the Tactical Squad supporting things which don't have Power Fists (such as Tanks).

Don't waste the points on one if your are planning to use the squad to support, say, hammernators.

These suggestions may change once we hit 6th Edition of course.

Yep, be prepared to redo the load-out on alot of sergeants next month...one that might come back is the plasma pistol and chain sword...

I don't like combi's from the standpoint they are one use. And if anything attracts a 1 or 2 on a dice roll it is a combi-weapon.

Yep, be prepared to redo the load-out on alot of sergeants next month...one that might come back is the plasma pistol and chain sword...

I don't like combi's from the standpoint they are one use. And if anything attracts a 1 or 2 on a dice roll it is a combi-weapon.

Which is what makes Combi-Flamers so good!

I agree with GC08.

For loyalist ... always equip when possible the sergeant with a combi-weapon that complements the squad's member's special weapon.

I usually equip a power weapon on a sergeant if i expect them to get charge after unloading some melta shots at a LR.

I particullarly like the combi-flamer, and giving him a power weapon can give you that edge in CC, especially against monsterous creatures where you really need those hits to land. (It's a shame to get past 6+ toughness only to fail against armour). I generally have my Sgt. avoid going after armour, tac squads are better at anti-infantry, let the devs do their job.

Erm, looking at a lot of the posts it would seem that I'm the only player who actually gives their Sergeants nought but a Bolt Pistol and Chainsword........

I don't bother with the Bolter as I don't believe the extra shot it provides is really worth the effort, whereas I've played a few games in which the extra attack granted by the Chainsword has made the difference in an assault. Personal preference of course but Tactical Squads are vulnerable enough to assault as it is. Might as well get as much clout out of them as possible.

shortysl, I find my attitude is more lets run away from assault. :tu:

Certainly Tactical squads aren't awful in assault, and are better than many units, but often those units are more shooty. Against assault units they're better shooting them. Combat Tactics allows this, and it's not just about your Tactical squad getting away from being hit in assault, it's also about your other units being able to shoot the offending unit.

shortysl, I find my attitude is more lets run away from assault. :(

Certainly Tactical squads aren't awful in assault, and are better than many units, but often those units are more shooty. Against assault units they're better shooting them. Combat Tactics allows this, and it's not just about your Tactical squad getting away from being hit in assault, it's also about your other units being able to shoot the offending unit.

Ah I don't get Combat Tactics; I'm a Dark Angel. There's a fair chance that my attitude comes about as a result of playing against fast moving assault armies. My best mate and long term opponent runs either Orks or Blood Angels so I'm pretty much always on the receiving end of an assault with my Tactical Squads.

Archived