Potential Allies

Jolemai

Leks- I think you're right with the first point, but incorrect about the AoE and the priest bubble.

The rule there says "Treat as an enemy". Your enemy doesnt benefit from the priest. Additionally, the AoE is referenced to the specific "these things" which is in reference to "target with psychic powers, templates or blast markers"

The page is cut off so we can't get a 100% ruling.

But it says (in parenthesis is mine)

However, if a psychic power, scattering Blast weapon or o...(ther?)

ability that effects an area hits some of these Allies of Con...(venience?)

they will be affected along with any friendly or enemy un..(its?)

If that does say "other" (what else would it say?), I'd say that the BA bubble falls squarely under "other ability that affects an area".

Leks- I think you're right with the first point, but incorrect about the AoE and the priest bubble.

The rule there says "Treat as an enemy". Your enemy doesnt benefit from the priest. Additionally, the AoE is referenced to the specific "these things" which is in reference to "target with psychic powers, templates or blast markers"

The page is cut off so we can't get a 100% ruling.

Gotcha! My bad. Was goin on what was written above!! Come oooooooon ruuuuuuuuuleee boooooook ><;

OOOH OOH OOH

Ally info ally info !!!

GW Page Ally Info

Officially (it seems)

BA may call on:

IG, DA, SW, GK, SM, SoB, Tau, Eldar and...Crons.

Missing from this list are the same missing from this:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/Dork%20Stuff-%20Fun%20Stuff/matrix.jpg

Interesting. Nice catch Mort, hadn't spotted this up there yet. Looks like there's two "catch-all" armies, Guard and Tau. Seems interesting...think they're trying to move the Tau Empire towards a "true neutral" sort of balance.

Some things though strike me as being really, really off, which makes me doubt it, but again there's some that are spot on. GK being grudging with everyone makes sense, and the Dark Angels/Space Wolves grudging alliance is a nice little bit of fluff involvement.

The big one though... Dark Eldar. Battle brothers with themselves...makes sense. Unholy allies/can't ally with anyone else...makes sense. Battle Brothers with REGULAR Eldar? Somehow I can't see that flying, unless there's a ma-hoosive gap in my fluff knowledge that someone can fill me in on.

Also don't really get why Tau will grudgingly ally with the variant marine chapters, but will happily be brothers in arms with Codex marines.

Ah well, its a Mat Ward concoction, I suppose the fluff doesn't have to make any sense :P

Also don't really get why Tau will grudgingly ally with the variant marine chapters, but will happily be brothers in arms with Codex marines.

Dont know enough fluff, but this pic comes to mind:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/Warhammer%2040k/Fist-Tau-Human.jpg

Nice to see this thread is still throwing up some discussion :P

But I see they have retconned the Dark Angels somewhat. Didn't it say in Angels of Death that they wouldn't ally with any faction other than Space Marines? Now they can join up with Orks?!?!?!

(Yes I assume it's to represent hunting for the Fallen, but still...)

Its been noted on other forums that the ally page has the allies listed in 3 groups of alphabetical order. Those orders correspond to the ally matrix posted.

Looks like that matrix will be legit.

If thats the case I wonder what the level "ALlies of Convenience" will relate to. Grudging Allies?

Interesting. Nice catch Mort, hadn't spotted this up there yet. Looks like there's two "catch-all" armies, Guard and Tau. Seems interesting...think they're trying to move the Tau Empire towards a "true neutral" sort of balance.

Some things though strike me as being really, really off, which makes me doubt it, but again there's some that are spot on. GK being grudging with everyone makes sense, and the Dark Angels/Space Wolves grudging alliance is a nice little bit of fluff involvement.

The big one though... Dark Eldar. Battle brothers with themselves...makes sense. Unholy allies/can't ally with anyone else...makes sense. Battle Brothers with REGULAR Eldar? Somehow I can't see that flying, unless there's a ma-hoosive gap in my fluff knowledge that someone can fill me in on.

Ah well, its a Mat Ward concoction, I suppose the fluff doesn't have to make any sense ;)

Maybe its because some Eldar might be sympathetic to the Dark Eldar, and both of them are very cunning? Just like IG can team up with Chaos, I assume that is so that your IG can be "traitors." It might be the same thing with the Eldar.

Are there cases where the DA fought alongside the Orks? I know that as of current fluff, it makes perfect sense that the BA aren't. Tycho, Baal, etc.

Yes, I would assume Eldar aren't exactly trusting of anyone they ally with. They're tricksy. Tricksy! Nasty elves, twisting their plots.

And yet, I'm kind of bummed that Dark Eldar can ally with everyone in the Imperium except us. Am I missing something? I'd expect the BT to hate them more than we do.

EDIT: And Dark Angels, oops.

EDIT 2: Also, based on these shopping pages, Special Characters as allies is a go.

Black Templars and Sisters of Battle - Unholy Alliance.

What? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Wait wait wait...

WHAT?

EDIT:

DA and Orks can ally? :P? Piscina campaign, hello?

Seriously, GW just doesn't give a **** about its own fluff anymore.

The SoB and Black Templar makes sense. I mean, both have radically different ways of maintaining their own faith, and they have to conflict badly. So I can see them hating each other, but still fighting in the same battle against the same people.

And there might be a reasonable explanation with the orks.

I seem to remember that SoB and Templars used to get along splendidly at one point in the fluff, both being fanatical devotees of the emprah. When did that change?

I never remember them getting along. I never remember the SoB getting along with anyone, really, least of all Space Marines of any type.

Think about it, the Ecclesiarchy cannot have men under arms. They worship the Emperor like no other. They have their set beliefs that EVERYONE should be beholden to the Ecclessiarchy. Space Marines don't have to follow that rule.

Black Templars are men of faith, their faith is different (same man, different beliefs about that man), the BT were around long before the Ecclessiarchy, and stuff like that. I can see them easily hating eachother. Two fanatics of two different denominations usually never get along.

And don't forget the Age of Apostacy. The church may have made some changes, but it is still the church that bombed the BT.

And yet, I'm kind of bummed that Dark Eldar can ally with everyone in the Imperium except us. Am I missing something? I'd expect the BT to hate them more than we do.

you have too many jump packs and too many fast tanks/transports.

The ally thing doesnt have much to do with actual fluff it is more a mechanic thing [no man can explain why GK are closer to orcs then other marines other then mechanics].

you have too many jump packs and too many fast tanks/transports.

The ally thing doesnt have much to do with actual fluff it is more a mechanic thing [no man can explain why GK are closer to orcs then other marines other then mechanics].

They aren't. They are further away.

Dont know enough fluff, but this pic comes to mind:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/Warhammer%2040k/Fist-Tau-Human.jpg

Yeah...that's the background image to a story from the original Tau codex (which is evading my attention to hunt it down...). It would make sense for the Tau to be more suspicious allies with all marines, especially after the Damocles Gulf crusade, than it would for them to be battle brothers with some, but not others. Possibly a balance issue, but you never know.

I don't see allies being allowed in any serious tournament.. and in my normal games, I will not allow them unless I know my opponent to be fair and fluffy. Srsly...

Someone said something in another thread that I quite liked and made me review my thoughts.

He said that he cannot see a viable way to make his tourney GK any better/more broken with the inclusion of allies. From the little I know of how allies works so far, I tend to agree. If this is the case, and it only serves to bring up everyone else, not make broken stuff more broken - then I see no harm in that.

I also think that allies are likely to be a very integral part of the game as opposed to a tack on rule. But, TOs will do as they please.

I dont think it will be neeearly as bad as the knee-jerk reaction we've all had.

1HQ and 1 TROOP minimum, then a max (dependent on level of ally) of 1 more Elite, Fast, Heavy and Troop.

Each of which takes away from your FOC, and has specific rules (some of which dont benefit from your army rules)....

nah..i think its gonna be alright!

Someone said something in another thread that I quite liked and made me review my thoughts.

He said that he cannot see a viable way to make his tourney GK any better/more broken with the inclusion of allies.

This is what I said to my friends in-store, albeit in the third person.

Tier-seeking, tournament-type players are already cheesing everything they can and ignoring things they don't feel are competitive enough, there's already enough to abuse, and what's abuse-able is what's taken. This adds more options (especially on the "products sold" front, to GW) but doesn't really add or open up anything competitively.

People who seek to build the strongest lists possible are still doing to do that just like they always have, and people who build their armies to some theme or to tell a story are still going to do that just like they always have.

Archived