PeaceCraft's Thousand Sons

Hello all, new member here - greetings!

I\'m a hardcore ork converter and after many years stalling i finally succumbed to chaos. All hail tzeentch!

So... i hereby join with my brother chaos legionnaires to make a Thousand sons Tzeentch themed army and bring destruction to the imperium.

Introduction of my thousand sons log:

Originally i wanted to make a conversion heavy nurgle army, but a friend beat me to it so i decided to go for another chaos army that would be as conversion heavy as nurgle. I was growing tired of painting only battle damage and weathered armour on my orks, so i decided to give myself a painting challenge - i would be going for nice clean saturated colours and fancy freehand runes and chaos icons. I also wanted to get my hands on some fancy demonic conversions, so i went for a underused chaos god- Tzeentch, where i could make crazy flesh changed monsters and convert devil parrots of doom.

Edit: forgot to add of course, another reason why i chose thousand sons is cuz they remind me of iron maiden\'s Power slave album cover

My normal tendency is to convert everything - but seeing as i spent too much time on scratchbuilding / sculpting my orks,

i decided to take a shortcut and make my second army simpler and not scratchbuild everything. I took 2 years to finish (almost) a squad of ninja ork kommandos... Witch makes my ork army 5 years old and i barely got 1200 pts painted :P

So to avoid this time issue i purchased most of my conversion bits from various sources like Kromlech, puppetswar and scibor so i would save time assembling and painting the new 1kSons. here\'s a recent sculpt and Here\'s a titan i made

The goal of this log is to make a hardcore tzeentch themed army. I\'ll probably field many 1ksons rhubrics and demon princes, but also add in other units with appropriate conversions - like berzerkers fielded as former Pavoni cult 1kSons wielding kopeshes and whatnot, and obliterators fielded as Pyrae terminator sorcerors.

I decided not to go Pre heresy red for 1 simple reason - i\'m tired of painting red. red orks, red khador, red yu jing... well, you can see the pattern there ;)

So, here are the first plans for my army - the bits take about 1 month to arrive from the northern continent down here to Brazil- so i have to plan way ahead.

Modeling ideas:

Many imported bits! lovely stuff from - bitzbarn, spikeybitz, kits and bits, kromlech, maelstrom, puppetswar and scibor. many have yet to arrive but soon i\'ll get the ball rolling :yes:

2012-05-29_09-47-28_351.jpg

-Egyptian bases on everything! i got a metric crapton of these cool scibor bases from many stores that i\'ll break up and make into new patterns on the bases so they won\'t repeat. awesome quality stuff

2012-05-29_09-51-36_550.jpg

-Enlightened rhubrics - Rhubrics with conscience - they got souls despite being dust - i\'ll prolly make rhubrics with papyrus and scrolls hanging from them, since they were gathering knowledge. kinda tomb robber style. prolly use these heads

2012-05-29_09-50-23_899.jpg

-Obliterator counts as - Thousand Sons terminator sorcerors

-Berzerker counts as - Thousand Sons - Anubis Sect (ex)Pavoni biomantik swordsmen. i\'ll use these bits

2012-05-29_09-48-40_885.jpg

-Brass scorpion/defiler counts as - converted scorpion defiler using tomb king sphynx bits + defiler (havent arrived yet)

-Flying rhinos - i\'ll use these bits and GS the rest

2012-05-29_09-51-22_970.jpg

-Tzeentch Demonic princes galore - i love to sculpt so i\'ll probably make a lot of these (havent read the codex yet so i don\'t even know how many i can field) :D but i purchased gryphon heads on ebay, and that island of blood gryhon so i could convert him into my demon prince. (havent arrived yet)

---------------------------------

Later on i\'ll add the fluff part of the army - why i want it to be ahriman led splinter group and why i hate magnus that whiny wuss of a primarch :lol: , and also why i hate space puppies with a passion :yes:

sorry for posting the preparation process without any actual modeling, but i wanted to get the ball rolling :)

i wanted to discuss the fancy conversions for after the new dex thats rumoured to be coming... don\'t want to make anything illegal ;) so i\'ll prolly start with the run of the mill rhubrics in the beggining, and just plan for those fancy covnersion units in the future.

cheers!

C&C welcome

Hail and welcome to B&C, brother! Wow, it looks like you've got some pedigree in the sculpting department. :lol:

I'd be very interested to see what you can do with the Thousand Sons.

Good introduction. I love seeing the start of something. From just a few bits and ideas to then watching it progress into a mighty project.

Really like the sound of this sphynx themed defiler.

Good luck with this la.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Oookay, 7 months respawn. Lemme blow dust off this thread ... how apropriate biggrin.png

So, i finally managed to finish my first wave of khador forces, my basic yu jing models, my converted bloodbowl black orcs... and now i'm back and getting my mojo ready to convert some stuff again.

Well, before i begin any fancy new projects, i'll just start with the basics - i figured i'd make a basic squad of rubrics to try out my scheme and my painting techniques i'm gonna use on this army.

some criteria for armywide paint scheme before i start:

-tabletop quality for basic models - i'm tired of always fielding half painted armies. The guys get basic paint first, and later then i'll consider fancifying. only special dudes like HQ get more love

-first boys will get a lot of funky tests to see what works

-use the classic Sons scheme - blue, gold, white tabards.... and add in free hand runes all over (looted inspired by daemonclaw's`s Sons http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/133878-daemonclaws-touch-of-chaos/page-2)

So, here are some WIPs (i tried out my new airbrush to see if it speeds things):

pre paint
2012-12-25_17-58-05_893.jpg

airbrushed blues

2013-01-01_17-08-26_913.jpg

basecolours
2013-01-09_10-53-01_143.jpg

one dude closeup
thousand+son+basecolours.jpg

little conversions - scrollwork and some scarabs

2013-02-19_23-36-35_345.jpg

today i just found out that another member (vonny) did the same thing! i think his style of scrollwork looks better so i`ll add some more scrolls in his style later on.

So the fluff is:

Ahriman led his warband all across the galaxy looking for ways to recover his rubricked brothers... and the way he found was the "enlightened rhubrics" (dumb name, but nothing else occured to me at the time. i`m open to ideas) where he managed to capture some lost shards of the souls of the original marines lost in the rubric, regaining parts of their personalities... but as all things chaos, not all went according to plan. some just came back hatefull, others lobotomized, others corrupted, and some got linked to warp entities. I think i`ll use this as a fancy excuse to proxy some of these as tzeentch chaos marines, cuz they are cheaper.... in occasional lists smile.png

to do list - modelling wise:

at this point i still have to paint the scrollwork, add some washes and gold highlights, add the writings on the scrolls, and add egyptian/mystic themed runes all across any blue surfaces. the runes are there to represent the spells that went into restoring independent thought to the rubrics. mebbe i'll make different styles of runes on squads to represent the variety of arcane knowledge this cabal plundered to restore themselves.

more test paintscheme updates soon!

and then... 1 chaos sorceror or my counts-as berzerkers - pavoni biomantic swordsmen

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! It feels good to be back in this project! thanks.gif

Time to make some real updates:

Cleaned up the golds with 2 highlights- gehenna gold and auric gold on the rubrics. looks way better, but i'm not sure it shows much on the pics but i'm quite happy with them. After i get some more units in tabletop shape, i'll add the extensive freehanding (the one i plan to loot from daemonclaw)

2013-03-04_09-40-40_737.jpg

And now, i'll add something interesting:
my Tzeentchian Chaos Lord/Sorceror

Took roughly 6 hours to make (curing the GS in my sculpt oven takes some time) in quick bake batches. Sculpted him in 2 halves -while one baked the other half got sculpted so i wouldn't have to wait... problem with baking plastic models is that if you leave it too long you can end up warping the plastic... so i had to do a lot of juggling and i managed to not screw up the timing and melt everything - niiice. i usually screw up a lot at this stage

Conversion and design:

He's the dark vengeance chaos lord who i don't think agrees with my design plans for this army. i wanted to avoid the overtly warped evil looking look and keep him closer to the clean egyptian mystic theme.

While cleaning off the disgusting spacewolf-esque fur cape i ended up cutting my finger and he got baptized in blood :P seems like khorne gets some love from him too - hopefully he does good in melee cuz of that special blessing.

I added GS scarab seals and some pharaoh stuff with some scibor and spellcrow bits. He uses the rubric sorceror backpack also. Covered the fur cloak with scrolls and papyrus wich will be covered in extensive mystical freehands.

Magnetized his hand so i could make him a chaos sorceror with his flame casting hand isntead of chaos lord with plasma pistol.

2013-03-04_09-41-10_657.jpg

2013-03-04_09-43-59_690.jpg

2013-03-04_09-44-31_231.jpg

2013-03-04_09-43-26_862.jpg

2013-03-04_09-42-54_196.jpg

I am quite proud of this conversion, i'll add a base and call it a day. (no paint yet, i like to paint in batches)

have to decide between making my Pyrae Annihilator Cult (count as obliterators), or my Pavoni Biomantic Swordsmasters (counts as Khorne Zerkers)

C&C very welcome!

cheers! laugh.png

Archived