Female Captain on a bike

Naminé

Hello all!

Firstly, thanks for coming to check out this thread :P As I have always been a fan of the Space Marine bike models, I knew as soon as I started my DIY chapter I would have a nice big unit of bikers, and so a captain on a bike was a natural choice for a HQ.

After coming up with the character I wanted (who you can read about here if you're interested), it is time to make the model, but obviously, this is quite difficult since making a Space Marine look feminine is like making a deamon prince look like Ronald McDonald (...actually, maybe Slaanesh?).

So here is what I've got so far:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/testisolde.jpg

Obviously this is quite crude, but hopefully you can see that I have filed down the legs, arms, and mainly the chest of a space marine biker. The legs are part of the Dark Angel bike Squad, which I picked simply because they look cool, wherease the chest peice is a normal old fasioned plastic peice, which I chopped the head off and then filed it a LOT to make it look far less butch. :) I must have taken at least 3mm off most areas, but I think it looks suitably slender now.

The head is cut from a reaper miniature, which I picked because I liked the hair flying outwards... unfortunately, removing the head from the original model meant that most of the hair was butchered. Still, green stuff should fix that!

Lastly the arms are clearly still too thick, so once I've sorted out the head and torso I will need to file them both down a lot more too.

Speaking of the head and torso, this is what I've got so far:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/torsogreenstuff1.jpg

I've added some greenstuff to the back of the head simply to keep it in proportion with the rest of the model, and I needed to make a really basic neck and collar at the front, to both hold the head upright and also to add some detail. I'm pretty happy with this so far, especially since my greenstuff skills suck!

More details and tweaking to follow, but for now I need to move onto sorting out the arms...

Ignoring what people think about female Space Marines, something about the photo of the torso and head puts me off. Like the neck would be too long and too thin or something.

Not sure what to add, keeping in mind that I've yet to see convincingly-female Space Marines.

I feel the need to chip in with the old rule of cool here folks.....

I remember this from Golden Demon 2003. Yes it made people go "what female space marines?" But it looked good enough to get gold in the 40k squad entry.

http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/2003/golden_...php?categorie=2

So what I am saying is namine has got every right to create this great model.

Good luck with her. I look forward to seeing more :P

Cheers

upon looking at youre link, i think you should base youre model upon the artwork there. put alittle bit more of a curve to the legs and arms, her body should still be feminin, just (i only repeat what you said) no boobs. she should still have the other curves to her body though. thats just female genetics. also it looks like her hair is shorter in youre artwork. i think the shorter is better, though i know that it will likely be painfull for you to shorten it.

im starting to feel like her head is slightly above where it should be. like instead of it resting in the little neck crevise you possibly have it sitting on top of the body armor? is that intentional or are you aware of this with plans to fix it.

I love the concept, and enjoy your conversion project. I think there is a daughter primarch (matriarch?) out there somewhere that was hidden from the rest of the known universe. Or the emperor had to build a wife because no one living was as awesome as him or sum such.... Just wait this is a story that will come out in 6th ed. At the same time thy release the first female SM army and they will be the new kick everyone's a$$ army. You are just ahead of your time. GO WITH IT

and there bodys still have a slightly differnt angle going from the hips to the knees, and from the knees to the feet that men dont have. keep this about the model, were not here to talk about fluff, where here to provide feedback on the model.

It's not really a debate though is it? It specifically statesin the established and authorised background references that it is impossible to have female marines. For this reason, your mini will always look a bit off to people, myself included. The head is definitely female, but the body is that of a post-human, genetically engineered male.
The fluff says that the implants are "only compatible with male tissue types". Anyone with a smidgen of biology in their background can tell you that reason's bollocks :P "Oh no! The organ transplant failed because male and female tissue types are totally different things!"

In the 40k setting, few Imperials have any reasonable understanding of the sciences. They probably just think there's something special about male tissue, and aren't about to risk geneseed on a test implant on a woman. Doesn't mean it isn't totally plausible that it's happened in some dark corner of the 40kverse, though.

So yeah, keep on going! Don't go overboard on making 'em "feminine", though, that usually comes out looking a bit ridiculous. Right now the head looks like it's shoved to the side a bit much and a bit high above the torso, maybe shuffle that around a bit.

Remember to give the model a character trait/quirk beyond "is a woman", that always falls flat. Try and pick out a warrior archetype/style of ornamentation suiting the chapter's background and emphasize that in the model.

I remember that old GD winner, i've got the magazine it was printed in lurking around somewhere back home (by the gods I feel old now), Always felt that they were some form of 'outside help', wolfy sisters... hmmm, plots

anyway, I'm no great follower of the fluff, seeing as that stuff is as malleable as the yellow part of unmixed green stuff, so I say go with it, not gonna offer reasons for and against. But I am in agreement with the camp that says make them look gladiatorial and armoured up, futurescience aside, todayscience says that the sheer amount of muscle growth that becoming a space marine implies means that there's not going to be much femininity left once the geneseed's finished with her

(And if i ever did anything female in 40k, i would be pulling ideas for it -straight- out of John Blanche's work)

The fluff gives her enough character to be something more than "just Mary"... (as a die-hard dyke of a Sisters player, I object to female space marines, but setting it aside for the moment...)

The model looks pretty good. The big arms don't look so bad to be honest - the torso armour is still bulky enough that it just looks like foreshortening (which makes the bike look more harley-ish and badass). The torso looks fine as-is, and the head is pretty awesome as it is.

What I will say is that as a Captain, she needs more bling of war. Maybe a shiny magic sword or a cloak of office of some description - even just a camo cloak.

You might want to look into some practicing how to sculpt green stuff so you can convey a female in PA better. While I personally think this is heretical, I wish you luck in making your army :tu:

As to the universe of 40k being sexist, I find that to be a silly notion. In the novel "HELSREACH" there are plenty of women fighting in all of the imperium's forces (barring marines of course). Even the imperator class titan is commanded by a woman. Fluffwise there are no lady marines just like how story endings are always grimdark, there are no tau titans, and tyranids never negotiate. Its just part of the formula for 40k canon.

Maybe that new pic for 6th (the one with the Imperial palace) all those people were protesting for womens rights. lol. Seriously though, fluff or model wise I think there should be more female SM's. Can you imagine a army of pregnant SM's , or a USR PMS +5 attacks on the charge, lol. I have a female terminator in my gods or war army(small as it is) equiped with an assualt cannon.

My only nit-pick is the heads a little wonky(not your fault) and is sitting a little to high on the shoulders, try and lower it down into the armour. Oh, and for the love of the Emperor do NOT! model greenstuff boobs.

Fluff debate has been removed. Comment on the model or move on. If this devolves into yet another thread about the existence or lack there of, of female Marines the melta gun is gonna come out and casualties will be removed from the board.

Hello again!

Sorry for the gap in replies; this weekend has already been quite busy, so much so I even forgot about pre-ordering 6th ed. :) So that will be my first thing to do tomorrow! :P

So first off, thanks to the Inquisition for tidying up the thread somewhat; especially my random quintuple post that occured because my browser had a fit while posting!

Secondly, I have taken the advice on board so far, so am going to be making some more changes to the torso, to make it more in line with this:

http://praetorianmarines.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/isoldeluce-resize.jpg

which is the whole thing I'm going for. The whole modelled boobs thing; I have filed the torso already into a shape that suggests a female shape, but still maintains the aesthetic of a Space Marine. A Space Marine is an armoured, sentient, death machine; boobs would just look out of place!

The whole challenge here is to ensure the model looks female, but also like a Space Marine. I think my illustration above does that, so if I can get the model anywhere close to that, I will be happy. :)

One last comment on the whole Butch muscles thing from the process of becoming a Space Marine; I honestly don't believe it would make the women butch. When you look at athletic and women with muscles (especially fighters), they are rarely butch. A bodybuilders physique would actually be counter-intuitive to fighting prowess, and so a female Space Marine biker, who's main asset is speed, should have a body to reflect that in my opinion; hence the body shape I am trying to achieve on the model!

Thanks again for all the comments and feedback, I will update soon, just as soon as I get chance to tweak the model some more.

I think the space wolves are the only ones who use females as space marines... and they do so secretly... hehe.

Ya, I agree with others that the female biker just doesnt look female enough and looks more like a BA pretty boy. Sorry. Keep at it.

Ya, I agree with others that the female biker just doesnt look female enough and looks more like a BA pretty boy. Sorry. Keep at it.

I kinda like that.

(not the pretty boy look) the fact that shes not necessarily "feminine".

Keep up the good work!! I wanna see that painted!

interesting model so far. agree with previous comments - the neck would be too long with the current position and the head is not centred between the shoulders. i like the fact you havent gone the 'female marine, must emphasise breasts with the armour' route.

when i see female marines i imagine sigorny weaver in aliens/alien 3 - she even has a kit bashed combi flamer and aux grenade launcher in aliens!

Quick update time!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/torsoupdate1.jpg

So I've done a lot more work on the torso, and figured I'd sit her next to a normal biker marine as a comparison! Her head fell off as I was filing, but that's ok because as people pointed out, it wasn't on right anyway :P

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/torsoupdate3copy.jpg

Here's a couple more examples... the red arrow shows the next part i need to sort out: Making a recess for the head to sit in.

Any ideas as to what tool to use for this? I'm not sure on the best way to proceed...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/torsoupdate2.jpg

Finally, some shots of the torso shape itself. Do you guys think its improved over last time? If so, is it the right shape?

Thanks for checking up and commenting ;)

hmmm, i feel like maybe you should take away some of the upper back. this will also take away some of her shoulder/arm joint, which will result in not looking weird when you have a slightly smaller arm attached to it. looking better though

one idea for the head issue is to either use a normal body which already has it (meaning youll need to redo everything else) or you can instead take away from her neck which will probably be harder. finaly, use a knife to make a small hole, and then spin it around a few times, just digging it all out. if you take out too much, GS some soft armor to fill in the gap

I think you are moving in the right direction. I have always held the firm belief that if you want to do a female marine... do it so that she 'looks' disimilar enough from male marines that you'd take notice of them on the tabletop. Simply slapping on an elven female head and shaving the ears down isnt, imo, enough of a conversion to justify it.

So yeah... like where you are going with it.

Torso alterations are looking good, shaving the helmet down like that helped. If you wind up using a helmet on one of the female marines, maybe trim down the little techy bits on the side of the helmet? Since the torso is now slimmer, it makes the helmet look wider in comparison.

Looking at the torso, a lot of the shaving bought it pretty close to the space marine scout torso in looks/size, more or less. Might be useful if you making more female marines in the future.

Archived