Allies?

Unforgiven2544

And no love for the 'Nids... Even the Necrons get allies, and they want to kill everything (or they used to) I wonder if you can take multiple allies, because then you could literally combine everything. (Except 'Nids)

Yeah, probably not. You would have NO weaknesses.......

I wasn't expecting to open up such a colossal can of worms.

But since the worms are everywhere...

What would you say if someone brought a Deathwing army with a Loganwing and Draigowing detachment. All Terminators of varying flavors and temperaments.

Will this be the "Nuke Race"? I mean will this be keeping up with the Jonses? They are using allies so I have to use allies?

So this will suck for Tyranids, but I see for the rest of the armies out there, eventually everyone will be fielding Allies. I hope this will not turn out to be the case though.

I collect Tau as well so I could have a XV8 Commander, 6 Firewarriors then have 3 XV88 Broadsides (1 Heavy choice) and just use Belial and Assault termies for some serious CC. Just a quick example.

Lets look at this set up and see if we can come up with a reason for it. Your DA Ravenwing has found information that leads the DA to believe that a Fallen is on a Tau world, causing trouble for them. While we, the Unforgiven, have no real problem with the Tau having problems on their worlds, do we really want the Tau to get hold of a Fallen? So a DA strike force goes in and hits the Fallen forces at the same time as the Tau forces are distracting them. It's called Allies of Convenience and it happens alot in war.

As with all things, much will depend on how the rules actually present allied factions.

It may be that some factions ally better with others (more choices and such) or worse with others (resulting in more limited choices), or may have differing point costs (depending on their degree of friendliness and such).

I'm pretty new to 40K and still working on getting a 1st army up and running. I'm doing codex Space Marines, but I could easily see running an allied force of SoB along with them once I have a good grasp of the rules. I know they're very similar in play style and options (at least based on my readings of their respective army books), but fluff-wise, they'd look great together.

What would you say if someone brought a Deathwing army with a Loganwing and Draigowing detachment. All Terminators of varying flavors and temperaments.

Actually, that's exactly my plan. Run Belial and a "Grey Knight" Librarian with Deathwing squads and "Grey Knight" shootinators.

Of course I'd use standard terminator models and just play them as my own chapter.

Although, as far as cool allies go, I think an all infantry IG gunline supported by drop-poding Space Marines would be epic, and about as fluffy as you can get. Guardsmen hold out just long enough for the Marines to come and steal the glory.

Sometimes I think people take this fiction based game too seriously!

Best thing said so far :wallbash:

Lets look at this set up and see if we can come up with a reason for it. Your DA Ravenwing has found information that leads the DA to believe that a Fallen is on a Tau world, causing trouble for them. While we, the Unforgiven, have no real problem with the Tau having problems on their worlds, do we really want the Tau to get hold of a Fallen? So a DA strike force goes in and hits the Fallen forces at the same time as the Tau forces are distracting them. It's called Allies of Convenience and it happens alot in war.

This was just as an example - may not have been the best but it was 3 in the morning and I was a little tired ;)

You can always imagine some excuse for them fighting together if you try hard enough. They can always turn against each other once the battle is done.

Some of the "bright ideas" that GW have just seem like an excuse to con people into buying more models by creating a "deathstar arms race". I am sure people are already looking at teaming up armies to get the most powerful tourny army possible.

But hey - this is just me being scepical B)

I don´t see any problems with allies in casual games between friends. We already had a 2vs.2 where everyone brought up a 1500P. army of his choice and then just rolled some D6 for the team up. As nobody knew what the other guys would play we all tryed to bring some allround forces up. Was a fun game though, ending in CSM & Orks vs. CSM and Dark Angels. B)

On the tourney side it´ll get much worse i think, when people use the best possible combinations from the strongest codizes at the moment. Maybe we´re going to see some regulations from the organisers.

Being a little more compos mentis this morning: if the allies rules exclude named characters as legal HQ choices, then this would be much less open to powergaming. No allied Draigo deathstars, Eldrad, Ghazghkull, scoring DW or RW etc and so on.

DA will probably end up with just Imperial allies and probably not all Imperial. It's not new for us to have for instance a GK character as ally.

Quite frankly Only after new DA Codex and 6th ed. is out I will worry about getting allies, if any... I may turnout that we don't really need allies to fill gaps, I mean spending points on a HQ and Troop just to fill a gap on a Fast Attack section doesn't seem attractive to me at a first glance.

As usual, time will tell.

No special characters in your Ally detachment would indeed prevent some of the sillier possible abuses. With the new psyker powers and snapfire, expecting that Eldrad plus a squad of Dire Avengers plus whatever, will become a pretty common sight. Ditto Grey Knight brokenness.

Orks are Green.

Dark Angels are green.

Orks is Green, and Green is Best! ;)

-Chant of the Orcs of Dagorhir

Therefor Dark Angels are better than the best. XD

Yeah and as every Orc knows, red is fasta. Good thing most DA weapons are red too! B)

Orks are Green.

Dark Angels are green.

Orks is Green, and Green is Best! ;)

-Chant of the Orcs of Dagorhir

Therefor Dark Angels are better than the best. XD

Yeah and as every Orc knows, red is fasta. Good thing most DA weapons are red too! B)

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Wait, I'm becoming an ORK! Brothers help me!

I can't honestly see anything other than Imperial forces being more than Allies of Convenience for the Dark Angels, given their fluff. IIRC, the Allies of Convenience can't gain any benefits of the Warlord, can't have allied ICs join units, and since they are treated as enemies, likely don't gain any benefit from allied psychic abilities, etc. Fluff-wise, I think this would fit, both because the DA aren't going to have a friendly fight alongside Xenos, and it isn't like they are going to make sure their comm-links are sync'd up to provide instructions during the battle, etc. Some of this will all come down to how you mentally construct the story of what's going on in the battle for yourself...

I can't honestly see anything other than Imperial forces being more than Allies of Convenience for the Dark Angels, given their fluff. IIRC, the Allies of Convenience can't gain any benefits of the Warlord, can't have allied ICs join units, and since they are treated as enemies, likely don't gain any benefit from allied psychic abilities, etc. Fluff-wise, I think this would fit, both because the DA aren't going to have a friendly fight alongside Xenos, and it isn't like they are going to make sure their comm-links are sync'd up to provide instructions during the battle, etc. Some of this will all come down to how you mentally construct the story of what's going on in the battle for yourself...

Seems reasonable to me.

So to stir the pot a little....what do you guys think about allying with SW's? <_< (Fluff wise).

For me, the rivalry was all about out doing each other on the field of battle with boasts and jibes before and after, maybe some fighting and killing each other at the squad level if things go extreme. I don't like the idea of the two chapters fighting each other like we were chaos marines, and I like the idea that while we may come to blows against each other we'd beat down any force coming at us...kinda like a strong brother rivalry but you'd stick up for each other against the neighborhood bully.

Archived