Allies?

Unforgiven2544

I don't know, I feel kinda of sadden. Before when we got screwed with the codex and what not, we were all up in arms with how other codicies were better than ours, but we stick to our guns and still use the DA codex. No Allies are in, and it seems a bunch of people are just jumping ship now.

I don't know, using allies, is basically saying, My codex is not good enough, I need to use a better codex. Again I know some people are doing this for fluff wise, but we know most of us will be cherry picking to get the best units.

With allies it will just feel so unDarkAngleish, unless it is really for fluff wise gaming, but how many people actually do this anymore?

Newest rumors from Faeit 212 regarding who we can ally with:

Dark Angels

Black Templar, Blood Angels, Eldar, Grey Knights, Imperial Guard, Orks, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines, Space Wolves, Tau Empire

How is it un-Dark Angels-ish? The entire defense of Picina IV was conducted using the planetary defense force (IG) supported by the 3rd Company of the Dark Angels, with some Deathwing and Ravenwing support. Even the defense of one of their more prized worlds, due to its inherent value and its proximity to a major recruiting world only warranted the use of a single company as support for an Imperial Guard-style mobilization.

Depending on exactly what the objective is, I could easily see the strategically and tactically minded Dark Angels and their successors use a group of Eldar to soften up a bunch of Chaos Marines, sitting back and basically letting them die, and then rushing forward to give the filthy traitors their full mailed fist in the mouth.

Remember, the 4-6 rounds of game play in 40K probably amount to no more than ten pages of a Black Library novel, and what takes two to three hours plus to play may actually encompass all of fifteen to twenty minutes (at most, probably less) of real time action if it were to occur in the real world.

I am actually looking forward to allies. As a SoB player, my current units are adequate, but the list in general does not seem to mesh together. So I have been playing my Deathwing for a while now. The thought of fielding my two armies together appeals to me, and may also inspire some modeling. A unit of Terminators with a sisters motif and a few female heads. Counts as Deathwing, but also a potential centerpiece unit.

I'll call them....Herminators.

If nothing else, it may make me want to play SoB again, or at least more often.

Orks are Green.

Dark Angels are green.

Lol,

You just reminded me of one of the funniest games I ever had.

Playing against orks, my opponents mad boys (remember them?) decided as my forces were green they were best mates.

Funny as hell as he was desperate to get into cc!

Even better when a bad moon mob shot at my tactical squad, and the mad boys went off on one across the board to get the bad moons, unfortunately he got them back under control.

DM

Again, I think people are underthinking the term "allies". It's probably poor word choice on the part of GW, but realistically, what else would you have called the system to represent two groups that may have similar goals in a specific conflict, regardless of whether they actually like each other or not? Look at the "Allies of Convenience" section on the intro video and you can clearly see that it says "Treat these as enemy models..." Sure, you can't damage them directly during this juncture of the game, but they can actually still be damaged by your blasts, etc. Heck, if it really assuages your feelings about the allies, as soon as the game is over, play another game out where you destroy the xenos your Marines, SoB, GK, etc, were using against the "greater enemy". I don't personally like the allies rules, and I probably won't give up Dark Angels units just to add in "better" units from allies, but that doesn't mean that there may not be both fluff and company reasons behind this set of rules.

Dark Angels

Black Templar, Blood Angels, Eldar, Grey Knights, Imperial Guard, Orks, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines, Space Wolves, Tau Empire

DA can ally with Orks? That's got to be the most random alliance table ever. We're supposed to be a xenophobic chapter so having xenos allies baffles me.

I suppose that there should be extra rules like trusted allies, mistrusted allies and whatnot etc to make it less weird.

DA can ally with Orks? That's got to be the most random alliance table ever. We're supposed to be a xenophobic chapter so having xenos allies baffles me.

I suppose that there should be extra rules like trusted allies, mistrusted allies and whatnot etc to make it less weird.

There are. It's not a straight up pure allies list. There are levels to the "allies" you can have.

Even with Unholy alliance gig going on, it doesn't make sense to me. Piscina IV is one of the reasons why.. but I really don't care the option is there for those that want to use it and I know I never will.

Sometimes allies could be a simple as "we will not blow the living snot out of you if we see you as we face the bigger threat at the sametime. As soon as that threat is defeated we will smite you at first opportunity".

So if it's Fluffy for DA to have Allies, will you play where your DA can disapear at any time? So say a 6 on a d6, all DA are removed and only the allies are left on the table. Now that would be playing Fluffy with DA with allies.

:P

In my opinion, if they were going to try to assign levels of alliance, they should have just made unholy alliance the baseline, allowing alliance of one kind or another with any army in the game. It's a little ridiculous when you start saying, "Dark Angels WILL fight alongside Orks, but NEVER with Chaos or Tyranids!" ... If you're going to allow Orks, the whole thing becomes pretty absurd and you may as well allow Chaos Daemons, too (and hell, why not Skaven while we're at it).

As for Space Wolves, I think they got it backwards. I've always thought the Dark Angels would more willingly ally with Space Wolves than with other chapters. Yes they have a complicated history, but still, they have a history. They may not always get along together, but when push comes to shove, the Dark Angels and Space Wolves each know where the other stands.

Dark Angels

(looks at Watchers) right.........

So if it's Fluffy for DA to have Allies, will you play where your DA can disapear at any time? So say a 6 on a d6, all DA are removed and only the allies are left on the table. Now that would be playing Fluffy with DA with allies.

:)

THIS!

Actually,

I would play a game like that.

Maybe have it be not so much of a guarantee that they would leave. Maybe 2d6 roll of 11+

maybe not every time. But once in a while it could be fun.

Also this!

I don't think I will so much build other armies to ally with my DA as use other codexes as Counts as forces. DA wouldn't reall let GK or SOBs within a mile but Castodias(GK) and SOS (SOBs, Eldar, or DE) might be nice. Orks well I just don't see me doing it unless it where a 1 off mission. Same with Tau. I hope We get Necrons as I'd love to do a Mechcanicum detachment as counts as Necrons. If I did a Fallen army id use CSM as i'd not sully my DA rule with thoughs heretics

How would you feel about:

Other Unforgiven forces- Allied Blood Angels Death Company. I could paint them up as Consecrators as long as they looked vastly different than my regular army. Both have black armor with some red details.

Green knights- Grey Knights figures painted up like a squad of Librarians in training and DA shoulder pads. Green Armor with Blue details like loin clothes.

Seldom seen but part of the Chapter- Allied Master of the Forge.

Space Orks- Well Brothers, our deepest darkest secret is now exposed! The Watchers in the Dark are actually Robed Gretchin!

I get the feeling that the Allies thing is broken up down Codex (the actual real world rule books, not the silly Space Marine treatise) lines, in that you can't ally with a force you are already playing, for example, you are playing Imperial Fists and want to ally them with Sons of Orar is going to be a big No, because that's the same Codex category. If the rumors are right, you gain a second FOC to fill as a second detachment beyond either 2K or 3K points, which is how you would depict Imperial Fists + Sons of Orar. The same thing would apply to using the DA and a DA successor, I get the feeling that's not allowed.

I could be wrong though, obviously, I haven't gotten to sneak a look at the book, my "local" GW store doesn't get his preview copies of anything until Wednesday.

id like to have some more teleporter goodness for my DW possibly in the form of:

1) nilla scouts with camo cloaks, and a master of the forge to bolster the defences they're in for 3+ cover saves. or swap in telion for an extra on their cover save 2+. the'y'll be as happy as termies taking shooting and could be a home objective holder or with teleporters infiltrate forward objectives which you can then relyable land on in DWA.

2) how about a templar techmarine with a teleporter supporting a combat squad heading out to take and objective. DW support comming in accurately and not scattering will reduce the nail bitting and replace it with flamers landing right where i want them!! "HA HA! burn Xenos scum!"

partly this is just cause i dont like the bike models and dont really understand why a teleport homer is such an exclusive choice in our codex (ravenwing squadrons only!?!) but its also cause those BT techmarines are hillarious!!

anyway i like having the choice to play allies it reflects the books and allows us to use small contingents of models we may have collected without having to buy a whole army of them... seriously my 4 land raiders and 40 termies ate all my money away!! so no more buying for a while :P

Archived