Metal Deathwing and other stuff

Deathwing70

Inspired by a project from lilloser (link) I've decided to start a new project.

What do you get when you take 1267 grams of metal:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/1267g.jpg

Add 1 liter of dettol:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/dettol.jpg

100% germ free!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/germfree.jpg

I've only got a few problems already.

1: these models were collected so long ago, from an old era when Terminator squads were allowed to use 2 heavy weapons. Making a legal list might prove difficult... time to start counting all arms I have and see what I can come up with.

2: I'm horribly outdated when it comes to the rules... looking at some lists here and there I notice another trend change, assault cannons are out, lightning claws are out... why? They really seem to switch popularity in waves. I'm guessing next edition will/might make them more popular again. And off course there's the uncertainty of whether whatever list I make is still legal in this new edition. Then again I've probably played maybe 4-5 games in 15 years so I'm guessing the 'coolness' factor is going to weigh heavier anyway.

3: I can't seem to find my green stuff ;) (and even if I do it's going to be so old I probably should get new anyway).

This is a project that, knowing my reputation, is going to take a very long time. Specially since I've also ordered some plastic Dark Angels, Forgeworld stuff (those apothecaries are amazing) and bits from other suppliers with the intention of feeding my urge to paint Dark green again...

On a side note, I do still have 10 plastic terminators unassembled/painted. Which should be able to provide some flexibility in squad setup. So in total I'll have 32 metal bodies (2 captains, 1 will become a sergeant, and an old Chaplain), and 10 plastics to play with for conversions and somehow make them fit in with the metals.

Whats dettol? Im looking for a (unharmfull) way to strip some minis too...damn if id used a wet palette all those years ago, some very thick paintlayers there^^

There is a young guy from Germany who uses Stirillium to strip his minis:

O_O wow, thats alot of of metal. I'm assuming this is for a vow?

Nah I'd fail miserably ;)

Whats dettol? Im looking for a (unharmfull) way to strip some minis too...damn if id used a wet palette all those years ago, some very thick paintlayers there^^

Linky

To quote the wiki:

Dettol liquid antiseptic is normally light yellow in colour; but, as several of the ingredients in Dettol antiseptic are insoluble in water, it produces a white-coloured milky emulsion of oil droplets when diluted with water during use, exhibiting the ouzo effect.

The active ingredient in Dettol that confers its antiseptic property is chloroxylenol (C8H9ClO), an aromatic chemical compound. Chloroxylenol comprises 4.8% of Dettol's total mixture,[2] with the rest composed of pine oil, isopropanol, castor oil soap, caramel, and water.

Can buy it pretty much all over the place (pharmacist) I guess and should be harmless to plastics aswell (plenty of youtube video's out there about it). Just do yourself a favor and wear gloves on both hands. I only wore gloves on the hand holding the miniature thinking I'd be fine, my other hand wouldnt really 'touch' it. But when scrubbing a few models I lost track of time and after a while my fingers holding the toothbrush were quite.. wrinkly... felt weird for a few hours but are fine now.

Also read some of these guides people posted, watch out using (too much) water when scrubbing as it will turn the paint to stickery goo.

The Dettol can apparently be reused, I just filtered it before putting it back into the bottle, took out all the paintchips etc. I've got a few more models I'd like to repaint...

As for the list, it seems I have enough arms to come up with the following:

- Captain (Belial)

- Chaplain

3x Deathwing Squad

- PW/SB (Sergeant)

- 2x SB/PF

- 1x SB/CF

- 1x TH/SS

(CML somewhere)

3x Deathwing Squad

- PW/SB (Sergeant)

- 2x Lighning Claws

- 1x AC/CF

- 1x SB/PF

2x Deathwing Squad

- PW/SB (Sergeant)

- 2x Lighning Claws

- 1x TH/SS

- 1x SB/PF + CML (Don't actually have the PowerFist but I have the old fashion Targetter arms which will have to count-as).

I also still have an unpainted/unassembled forgeworld (venerable) dreadnought, plasma cannon/dccw and an unassembled Land Raider.

Thanks to the plastic sprue's I should still have some arms left to switch a few things. Though TH+SS are pretty much maxed out I could always look into building my own...

Any thoughts on the list? Improvements I should look at?

hmmm so i need to find similar stuff to dettol here in germany...

http://www.sagrotan.de/ Is what I get redirected to when entering www.dettol.de

The logo is the same, just a different colour so I'm guessing it's just sold under a different name and you probably heard of this before? There's plenty of products they make though, look for the stuff that tells you to thin it with water before use (like 10 water to 1 sagrotan).

I really love the old terminators, I made a point of ordering enough arms (when they still sold them) to finish off all the old ones I have so they have remained viable since 3rd and have held off until now to start using the new set. Looking forward to seeing some of these put together :)

I've only got a few problems already.

1: these models were collected so long ago, from an old era when Terminator squads were allowed to use 2 heavy weapons. Making a legal list might prove difficult... time to start counting all arms I have and see what I can come up with.

If you are meaning from 3rd edition that is not the case. It's just the way people read it. I had the same issue till I had talked to GW people back then and they all stated it was two DW models could take one of the weapons. They just never FAQed or fixed in new printings because they "thought" it was implied enough......

• 2 weeks later...
If you are meaning from 3rd edition that is not the case. It's just the way people read it. I had the same issue till I had talked to GW people back then and they all stated it was two DW models could take one of the weapons. They just never FAQed or fixed in new printings because they "thought" it was implied enough......

So you're saying we were never allowed to take 2 heavy weapons? Hmm well whether or not that's true and everyone played it like that doesn't really matter anymore.

About half my terminators come from another person who also ran a Deathwing army and he clearly figured 2 heavy weapons per squad was legal too.

My main problem comes from lack of usefull arms, lots of lightning claws, lots of 'targetting' arms for Cyclone's. But it can be fixed.

Anyway update time, I didn't have too much time to spend on the Deathwing. Instead I've been distracted by guilt feelings, wanting to finish some of my Angels of Vigilance.

They are coming along pretty good, I'm still working on the banner and trying to decide what to (try) paint on it.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/tac1/P070712_1455.jpg

The more time I spend on these guys, the more I feel like I need to also finish a playable army list for them, something around 1500 points should do. Problem is the yellow really is starting to break me (this must be the slowest army ever painted, I've been working on/off on it for the last 4-5 years - though maybe modelled/painted 3-4 months in that time) Here's the army so far:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/P070712_1513_klein-1.jpg

And a wip shot of the dreadnought:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Dreadnought/P070712_1448.jpg

Ofcourse, since they are Dark Angels (codex I use anyway), I could always just use them as a small part of a bigger force and play a mixed unforgiven force (assuming I'd ever play).

Back on topic, this thread was for Deathwing.

I've build 1 squad and added some bits, trinkets and green stuff to make em look good. I've started to paint 1 guy (a couple times already, he's almost ready to get stripped again) but having trouble deciding the kind of 'bone' colour I want. I want them to have a 'dark/cold' feeling and the bone to not look like the creamy bone you usually see so often but also not simply white/grey.

Anyway here's a (wip) picture of his current look, I want to give him one more highlight on the armor and plenty of other parts are just basecoated atm:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Deathwing/P070712_1453.jpg

Archived