How do I take Out a Black Templar Command Squad?

Brother Anders

Hello Brothers,

I've been playing my Friend (a Black Templar Player) and I cannot for the love of the Emperor, Kill his Command squad. I've only won once, and that's because I refused to go any where near it. But thats not the case on small boards or objective games.

He has 3 HQs (Chap, Marshall, and E. Chap) with 5 other marines. I've thought about employing Melta guns for Instant kills, but I only have one in my army. I did come close once, with only his Marshall remaining, but they chewed through the rest of my army first and was getting bombarded by my "dev" terminator squad when the 7 turn ended.

Any thoughts?

really - deal with it like any other deathstar, vindicator, Autocannon/lascannons predator, plasmaguns or even a dev squad with 3 plasmacanons... Dont play his game (h-to-h) unless you are playing BA's or GK's and can hit him with enough PW attacks at higher Initiative... Or feed him a 5-man scout squad every turn and laugh at him as his 650-odd point unit kills 150 pts of scouts over an entire game...

Like others have said, shoot them off the board.

Does he footslog them? If so shooting them off the board is easy. If they're in a Rhino it's slightly more difficult, a Land Raider and I can see where the problems come in.

As others have said, plasma, Vindicator, krak missiles, mass melta, mass bolter fire, any and all will work. Or Hammernators.

FYI, page 31 of Codex: Black Templars states

Always an Independent Character: The Emperor's Champion always fights as an Independent Character and may never lead, join or be attached to a Command Squad.

Beyond that, they're Marines with 3+ armor, and maybe some 3++ Storm Shields. They drop like flies to plasma, melta, sternguard, lascannons, vindicators, etc. Remember what negates his apothecary's Feel No Pain - S8+ weapons, AP1 or AP2, and power weapons/fists/hammers all deny him that 4+ FNP (assuming he takes the Apothecary).

He doesn't have an Apothecary, but the normal boards we play on allow him to close in within 2 turns in a rhino, and I don't have most of those options. His HQ's alone have 8 wounds, plus the 5 meat shields (who are tough in their own right) Put that all in a rhino, and I do not have the firepower to take his squad out in 5 or 6 turns. Plus he is very lucky on saves.......... wait just saw Grey Paladin's post, thats gonna save me so much trouble. Thank you

Archived