A tale of 20 gamers, a galaxy asunder.

I tried sculpting the gorget last night, but I think I finally hit a wall with my limited sculpting ability - I couldn't get the size and shape I wanted so I used some strip plastic as a base for the GS and built it up from there. It's bigger and not exactly the shape I wanted, but I can live with it:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/CustodesConcept1c.jpg

What do you guys think?

I think it looks good, it's a tricky shape to get right. Have you thought about looking at the gorget in the empire general kit? May not be the aesthetic style you want but it may be a good base to build on.

One of the reasons I wanted in on this, the support network is great. I think the Greatsword set has some to, but its been a while since I touched my Empire army and I can't quite remember where I got each bit.

Just put in a bumper forgeworld order, alot of Maximus armour plus some other treats. Tomorrow will go through Fulgrim, Ravens Flight, the and of course Deliverance Lost to get ideas, and also put together a test model.

Brother Chaplain Kage: Really impressive work brother, I would kill for sculpting skills like that!

Sheep: Love that guy, great stance, great plume!

RPR & ThisisJimmy: Looks like we are all in the free hand chapter symbol pain brigade! ;) it can only get easier with practice. Please by the Emperor!

Huberticus: Another great Dread brother!

Born Offside: Welcome abroad brother! Really liking the idea of drop site ravens.

Quik update on the Alpha's:

Finally got my Tigrus bolters, and they are great! But had to bastardise them all the same ;)

gallery_42238_7423_62311.jpg

gallery_42238_7423_143851.jpg

gallery_42238_7423_33169.jpg

gallery_42238_7423_31152.jpg

Undecided on the 5th marine for the squad, maybe a seargent, maybe special weapon trooper, who wants what?

Good work all!

Brother Chaplain Kage: Really impressive work brother, I would kill for sculpting skills like that!

It's nothing spectacular, but thanks. Several years of messing around with it and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it, and the biggest piece of advice I can offer to better your skills is to break down everything you want to sculpt into really simple shapes and start from there. Oh, and use a VERY light touch with your tools(which will be lubricated with something, of course), because even the gentlest nudge can make a deep impression.

I love what you've done with the bolter barrels, but if I might criticize one tiny thing is you should fill in the muzzle brake that's on the original barrel for a smoother look.

I'm a massive fan of that cheeky little left handed marine mate, very well done conversions. I second the comment about the holes behind the suppressors needing to be filled in though.

ThisisJimmy - White Scars WIP Post 2

Well I managed to finish off my demi-squad today, bar a few little touch ups. I originally planned to have a lot more pelts used on the squad members, but to me they ended up looking too much like Space Wolves, so I decided to use it more sparingly. Anyway, onto the images:

Squad Suratli of the 23rd Brotherhood - WIP 1

gallery_64426_7455_72356.jpg

And here is the first half of Squad Suratli (which according to Google translate means swift). These guys are going to mounted in a Rhino that I have awaiting assembly as well as being filled out with 5 other blokes. The general theme I am aiming for is that this squad has just dismounted and as such isn't on a particularly aggressive footing. Some will be surveying, other jogging to take up forward positions to identify the enemy. Some close ups:

gallery_64426_7455_141475.jpg

Sergeant Serkan. I originally planned to make him the 2IC of the squad, but as I put him together, he sort of took on the appearance I had for the leader, and thus he was born.

gallery_64426_7455_103107.jpg

I've obviously used the old school FW flamer for him, and is positioned to look as though he is surveying enemy to flame out. I've attempted to curl his left hand around the handle of the flamer, and although not perfect, does look better than before.

gallery_64426_7455_13508.jpg

Here I've tried to sculpt both the facial scars and a big dirty mo'. Took me a fair few tries before I actually got it into a position where I would like it. The only other modification has been to twist his hair around so as to reinforce the movement the rest of the model shows.

gallery_64426_7455_86724.jpg

A fairly basic running marine to finish off. The only additions have been a fur tabard and some hair coming from the pistol grip of his bolter, taken from the White Scars upgrade pack.

So there they are, the first half of Squad Suratli. I made better progress than I had expected, and hopefully should be able to get right into slapping some paint on.

Those White Scars have some seriously cool character and poses. I really love the addition of a few pelts and the mo' looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work, Jimmy :)

Ludovic

Those white scar look really nice, especially Sargent Serkan, would say he looks like he might one day become captain ^_^ And I really like the whiskers on unhelmeted guy, how did you do that? Been trying to give my captain of Numenor a beard for ages B)

The finds from my scavenge in the shed are now been stripped with the exception of the terminators and others with FW parts in except one guy who is a guinea pig for the effects of dettol on rexin :

gallery_49955_7416_1453210.jpg

Also found this guy:

gallery_49955_7416_1504439.jpg

Not sure to strip him or just repaint the shoulder trim and back pack.

I have written up the email for FW, this is what I have got so far:

"I recently ordered 2 sets of MkIII Iron armour from you, when delivered, the first set was in the usual extremely high quality I have found in your products in the past, the second set however, had flaws in the shoulder pads. I have included pictures of the shoulder pads in question, the problem is air bubbles on the outer surface (there some on the other set, but on the inside so not a problem) and large mold lines and what appears to be mold slip on the trim, which would be very difficult and time consuming to remove without destroying the detail.

sincerely"

Never having had to complain to a company before (though may have to complain to asda about my xbox ;) ) I'm not sure what to start it with "To whom it may concern" I was thinking of, and does the email come across as rude or condensending?

That sounds fine mate. Fair and to the point, no one could confuse what you are saying as remotely rude or condescending, so I would fire that one off. About the moustache, for me it helped to get a bit of green stuff and roll it flat, then wait for it to harden. When it is mostly hardened cut off a thin strip for the hair and add your detail. Then just stick it in place and you're done. Probably not the best way to do it as it does get fiddly, but for someone without the greatest GS ability, it worked for me

Just a quick progress update. I'm going to go ahead and apologize now for not having anything substantial posted yet. I'm in a relative financial bind at the moment so progress is pretty slow. I'm going on a week-long trip at the end of the month I'm trying to save for along with bill and whatnot but I should have some dosh on hand to get this up and running. If everything goes as planned I would like to have my MK. III armoured starter squad by the end of this month before I go, and finish painting them and converting other guys by the first or second week in august. Again apologies for any delays, seeing you guys post some great stuff really has me itching and it's flooding my mind with all kinds of cool ideas. Keep up the awesome work brothers.

Thisisjimmy: Great looking White Scars, can't wait to see them painted.

Rune Priest Ridcully: I would be careful how long you leave the resin guys in the detol. I tried that once and the resin bits melted.

I got my first model put together yesterday, will get pictures up tomorrow.

Archived