A tale of 20 gamers, a galaxy asunder.

Death Guard Trooper, Post 3 - 1st Squad Complete

While I work on the rebuild of 2nd Squad here is the complete 1st.

The closer pics seem to turn out better than the far.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Death_Guard_Trooper/Vets/IMG00318-20120709-10302.jpg

Everyone so far

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Death_Guard_Trooper/Vets/DeathGuard1stCOM-1.jpg

Sheep, Post 3

Progress has been slow, but steady, getting into the meat and veg of any SM army now, the bolter carriers, or ablative wounds for you heavy and special weapons if you'd prefer.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/IMG_0683.jpg

Guy on the end is dropping his bolter.

Nothing really exciting going on here, they just need alittle bit more work done to their bases and will have their bolters attached post paint.Still undecided on adding a chain bayonet or two, as I can't remember any actual references to them in the books.

As for paint, well it turns out I ordered 3 of the wrong colour . . . I ordered USMC tanker highlight, when it should have just been USMC tanker. Lesson learnt, so now I'll have to figure out a use for the highlight colour while I wait for the real paint to arrive, beacause I'm following the DPA tut on painting them I have no use for the highlight as a highlight.

Cheers

Sheep

Great work Brother sheep, all action poses, great basing, just super!

And whilst I do not remember any chain bayonets in the books they are pretty cool and would give some pretty awesome challenges in the gore streaked painting stakes!

None the less have that marine on the right court martialed, dropping the sacred bolter, I mean honestly!

Great work all you guys! Expect an update from me soon as I am finally back in my hobby lair from my holiday ;D

Death Guard Trooper, those mk III suits look great! Are the legion insignia the BoLS logo sheet printed on decal paper?? They look excellent :)

NightHunters, if you haven't already read the HH novel 'The Primarchs' you really need to abandon everything you have planned and read the last story in it called 'The Serpent Beneath' that unlike 'Legion' has almost exclusively XX legion action (writing it like that almost makes it look naughty XD ). The story is SO F'ING COOL!! A little trip to GW Torino ensured me anther great book to endure the looooong car rides.

On my 10 day holiday I also chewed my way through 'Age of Darkness' which is also a must read for everyone, and especially the story 'The Last Remembrancer' and 'Savage Weapons' are great.

'The Last Remembrancer' is great because it features Dorn and is actually really moving and cast the lord of the VIIth in a very human light, I did almost shead a tear at the end of it.

'Savage Weapons' is great, and it really redeems the fact that the Lions dealings under the Great Crusade are very vague in both 'Descent of Angels' and 'Fallen Angels'. The story line is picked up nicely again in the story 'The Lion' from 'The Primarchs' and they really are a must read for any fan of the DA, especially if you are amongst the ones feeling cheated from some awesome Primarch action in the two first DA books :)

Also 'Feat of Iron' from 'The Primarchs' are worth a read, and it gives a lot of insight into the organization of the Xth legion, and also gives an excellent insight in the character of the Gorgon, as Ferrus Manus is in the story as well ;)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand then for anyone with a soft spot for Fulgrims boys, the Phoenician features heavily in the first story in 'The Primarchs', 'The Reflection Crack'd' which is also sublime ;) :D

Ohh man I'll end up with so many guest stars from other legions in my army.... :P

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am still alive and will hopefully have an update at the weekend. My forge world stuff arrived and the casts are perfect, just going through them and working on what I want in the army and where to go from once the first five men are complete. Ideally I want to get another five guys on foot to finish the first squad and some assault marines.

Guys the work being done on here is great and Sheep, I love the contemptor and cannot wait to see that finished.

Death Guard Trooper: Those guys look really nice, cant believe the speed you get them painted.

Sheep: Love the poses and the mix of armour.

Lord Angrypants: Cant wait to see some world eaters, are they going to be clean blue and white, or will they be splattered in blood?

Born Offside, Post 1 - Concept Raven Guard

OK so for my concept i have decided to take a different direction to what Talthus was originally going to do. My Raven Guard will be set on Istvaan V after the the betrayal by the four relief legions, with them pinned down in the Lurgan Ridge area mentioned in Ravens Flight. I think this is the point that defines what the Raven Guard become post heresy. Having to fight, and being betrayed by brother legions, and having to abandon the two friendly legions, and coming to terms with that they were going to die on Istvaan V really sets the melancholy for the future chapter suffers from. Obviously this is enhanced by Corax later choices after their rescue.

The force will be made up mainly of Mark IV and V armour, with a bit of Mark III. The force will be a mash of a few chapters for the legion to represent survivors, as well as having some heavy elements such as contemptors and Landraiders which may be slightly off the theme but I kind of want them!

I will use the same squad marking that Talthus poster before.

Born Offside, Post 1 - WIP Raven Guard

I have currently put together one model, a tactical (were they known as tactical's then?) sergeant. I'm not sure on the topknot, I feel it gives him an archaic look which I like but I'm not sure if it sits with the Raven Guard. I'm still waiting for some etched brass from forge world which will be used to add detail. Thoughts appreciated.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/Heresy-Raven%20Guard/20120711_133112.jpg

BornOffside: I personally like the top-knot on crusade/heresy era marines. I like to think of details like those as akin to the horns which were on the older orks. It is indicative of an older tradition of battle honours and decoration rather than the 40,000 era ones which we all know. I vote for the topknot staying as it stamps crusade/heresy era all over this marine.

Great work so far guys!

@Born Offside - Nice starter you've got going there. I like the face mask you've made up for him, looks a lot like the images found in the Collected Visions. Loving the background you've chosen for your army. It's very unique and you'll be able to create a very interesting looking army, what with all the different Chapters within your force. Good job

Bornoffside: Nice start, and as has been said it will be a unique force. Are you going to do them wearing patches/plates of other legions armour as described in "Deliverance lost?" I think that would add another layer to the desperation a force in that situation would have, as well as heavy weathering!

Sheep, Post 4 - WIP Sons of Horus 1st group shot

So heres all the completely assembled models before primer.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/IMG_0686.jpg

I hadn't realised until I took this pic that the contemptor and Sgt model were in such a similar pose, guess I'll have to add some more variety to the future models.

The basing was done with a mix of cork, crushed slate, glued down with superglue, before adding some secret weapons razor wire.

So more assembly of the rest of the squad to follow, and waiting for paint to arrive. . .

Cheers

Sheep

Due to lack of funds and time (have to do school work and finish off my ETL vow, amongst other things), I won't be able to meet the August deadline. Hopefully that won't be too much of a problem and in the meantime, I'll do my best to contribute to the thread :P

Cheers,

Ludovic

Ahh Ludo, sorry to hear that buddy!

the damned artificer: I sure have brother, one of the reasons I chose to go XX :P

Born Offside: I also dig the top knot, and really enjoying the helmet mod, more brother, more!

sheep: Just can't wait to see those painted mate!

And from me,

Night Hunters Post 5 - WIP Alpha seargent

gallery_42238_7423_41106.jpg

Should have reorientated the feet........

Cheers all!

Everything is so impressive, the pose on the Seargent is brilliant, really athmospheric :) Almost sinister, can't wait to see him painted.

Born Offside, how did you do that helmet? Every time I have tried something similar it has just looked poor so any advice would be great.

Sheep, you do know that picture is just awesome you know? Should be used as an advert for Forgeworld as it's making me think of more armour sets and possibly a contemptor and tartaros terminators.

Painting time is split between my Salamanders and a Thousand sons Squad I got off ebay, though have managed to get the stuff stripped, will have enough another squad once they are painted. I will aim to get one more progress log before sunday, when I go off to the Silchester excavation, aka 4 weeks in a tent, first time camping so should be interesting :P. Does anyone know where you can get the grow your own crystal kits fairly cheaply? Want to use them for my Salamanders bases, but the shops in town only have £18 huge ones that are multicoloured :( so any recomendations? My google fu is weak :P

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The topknot will stay. I think i may use it to distinguish Terra born marines from the new recruits to the legion.

Sheep: I'm going to keep the cannibalism of other legions armor to a minimum I think but there may be the odd bit. Saying that you have given me a few good ideas...

Also your guys look fantastic all together like that. Can't wait to see them painted.

Night Hunter: That sergeant looks great, like he is stalking a target.

Battle Brother Ludovic: Its a shame but yours is a massive modeling project so I think its understandable.

Rune Priest Ridcully: I used a helmet in the vague shape, one of the ones from the red scorpion honor guard and used green stuff to exaggerate the shape. I have some clay shaper's which I used to get it smooth and then just use a modeling knife (I have the GW one) to define the shape. I have only started experimenting with green stuff, past gap filling, and I have found the clay shaper's are invaluable. I even managed to sculpt the pre-heresy Alpha Legion symbol the other day, its not perfect but I'm happy with it (its for post heresy alpha legion before anyone starts making connections between Raven Guard and Alpha Legion!).

No more progress from me but Forge World have finally shipped my order!

NightHunters & Born Offside: Cheers for the kind words (not too sure what else to call them) ;)

I'll do my best to get five models done for September though!

Ludovic

Cheers all, glad to see I have brought across exactly what I was hoping for from the pose; Sinister, stalking ready to unleash hell!

Darth Potato: Thanks brother, most of the extra bits I've used, mags, sights and indeed the pteruges are from anvil industries, can't recommend these guys highly enough, great moulds, no flash, super quick and well priced!

Archived