A tale of 20 gamers, a galaxy asunder.

Rune Priest Ridcully Legio XVIII The Salamanders W.I.P Post IV-Squad Tel'vrak/bits and bobs

So this will be my last update for 4 weeks, and I must admit I have not made nearly as much progress as everyone else.
gallery_49955_7416_1197859.jpg
Everyone's favorite metal marines are coming along! Obviously starting on the details on them, they will be with the second squad that shall mostly be made up of plastics and metals that are appropriate for the heresy era.
gallery_49955_7416_1594779.jpg
gallery_49955_7416_403942.jpg
gallery_49955_7416_1138146.jpg
I think I am getting better at the arrows, thank you for the advice on doing them in bits, just need a bit of touch ups really.
gallery_49955_7416_236644.jpg
Here is the basis of my captain, as a veteran of terra I figured it is possible for him to have an aquila, not sure what to do about the crux on his shoulder, the model is one of my favorites from GW, possibly do a drake head over the central gem to be a pre heresy honor symbol? I am thinking of using the helmet crest from sicarius or one of the chaos marine topknots, not sure which to go for, also not sure wherever or not to give him a combi weapon or a plasma pistol, wish FW did a strip of those plasma pistols, though perhaps I should get the charecter upgrade set.
gallery_49955_7416_2016564.jpg
Here is the start of Sirieon, I am trying to build up a psychic hood for him and to try and create a similar patterning on him to the stock GW force weapon models.
The main problem I have come into is basing, I am not good at it, my attempts to use flock, sand and ect being messy failiures and my Thousand sons use flagstone effect plasticard, but don't want to do the same for my Salamanders, I was thinking of trying to use the grow your own crystal sets to do a crystal floor on the bases, but after looking around there seems to be none that do colored ones for less then under about £18, which I am not dure would be good value as they are all sets of different colors, was hoping to either do a purple or light blue crystal floor on them, any ideas or advice?
EDIT: And no word back from forge world yet either.

For your captain I really like the idea of the Saurus heads on the backpack. That works rather well. I have this model as well, and I'm quite fond of it as you are, so when I was using him for a failed heresy era project, I did the crazy thing of dremeling off the crux. It took a very long time to get it looking smooth, so it si quite a lot of effort.

In regards to your bases, could you not get any crystal growing kit, and just paint it the colour you want? Either that or go or the black sands (crunched up Oreo's) of Istvaan.

lol, it was a reference to the black library novel (forget which) that has the Salamanders on Istvaan in search of Vulkan. The artist used crunched up oreo's to get the black sands of Istvaan.

EDIT: Here is the Black Library blog on the subject.

Rune Priest Ridcully: I just googled crystal bases and came across this site that sells different colour resin crystals:

Anarchy Crystals

I've never used them so I don't know how good they are or anything but may be worth a try. I like the backpack, may have to steal that idea if I can find some suitable raven heads.

I do like the sound of edible bases though mmmm....warhammer bases

My forge world order came and went and is now sitting in a Royal Mail depot waiting for me to collect it. Sill using the bits I do have my second Raven Guard is coming along nicely. Been thinking of having two captains one in mark 3 armour with cape and a plume (bassically all the trappings of Terra) who was originally from Terra and another with jump pack and lightening claws with bird skulls and feathers originating from Deliverance. Sort of the old and the new.

Those look good, was going to try and do more of a carpet of crystal look, but if I paint it a similar colour that could work, is there any to increase the strength of the color with those? Could you use the backpack in the captain box? I know it's more of an eagle heads, but they could be a good base for converting.

Am now actually thinking of experimenting with oreo bases after I get back from the dig, if only you could make marzipan marines you could use non ground up oreos as bases, every time you kill an enemy model, you eat it.

Born Offside@ have you considered the sm commanders backpack? I know it's technically eagle heads but I once used one on a ravenwing commander and painted the heads black which worked quite well as raven heads, and compared to the old marneus calgar backpack the new plastic commander backpack has a less aquiline appearance :D

Looks like rune priest ridcully beat me to it B)

Rune Priest Ridcully: you could always buy a selection of colours put them in a bag then smash them into little pieces. Will give you a carpet effect. Not sure if you can get a more pronounced colour though.

I will have to look at the sm commander backpack and see. In my head I picture it as a very rounded beak while ravens tend to have a strieghter beak. Least it's a bird head though. Were the Iron Halos in use pre-heresy.

Born Offside, Post 2 - WIP Raven Guard

Here is the second member of my squad. This fella was inspired by Sheep's suggestion of having the RG cannibalising equipment from other marines.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/Heresy-Raven%20Guard/20120715_193137.jpg

The idea is that he has stopped to replace his helm from a dead World Eater only to be interrupted and having to return fire. His messed up helm is the Mark IV resting at the back. I plan to have blood gushing out in a corresponding area to the hole which I will turn into more of a slash style damage. He still needs a bit more green stuff, work especially on the bolter arm which looks a bit of a mess in the picture, and some etched brass when I get a chance to pick up my forge world stuff from the Royal mail.

He has been a quite complicated model to put together and I think the next 3 will be (almost) stock with little conversion work otherwise I will never get round to painting them!

A quick update as promised. I will post a proper update once I have finished putting together the first squad. So without further ado, here is the first two Word Bearers that are pretty much completed and apologies for the crummy photos, I had to take them on my phone. Once the squad is complete I will use a proper camera to take a photo.

Bolter man One

gallery_54596_7451_108613.jpg gallery_54596_7451_1661918.jpg gallery_54596_7451_327892.jpg

Meltagun man One

gallery_54596_7451_151984.jpg gallery_54596_7451_283995.jpg

Group photo

gallery_54596_7451_590232.jpg

C&C

Angrypants

Brother Chaplain Kage - Adeptus Custodes - Concept WIP 2

Now that most of my bits have arrived, I can finally see about getting the concept figure done. Here's a couple angles with the White Lions head and Phoenix Guard swords on him:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/CustodesConcept2.jpg

The open face of the helm will be filled in as well as the indentations on the side to give it that very conical shape the Custodes are known for. I also got in the Phoenix Guard capes last week, but they're going to need some work to fit with the swords as they are. Unfortunately, I'm still having issues with the shoulder pads, so no new progress there, but I hope this gives a better idea of where I'm going with these guys.

-BCK

looking good guys.

bornoffside, how big do you plan on making the head wound? i think it would be cool to see a bigger wound then most people do, showing how much damage a space marine can really take.

BCK, i really like youre image of the custodies, though i remember reading somewhere that they were bigger and stronger then space marines.

BCK, i really like youre image of the custodies, though i remember reading somewhere that they were bigger and stronger then space marines.

They are more powerful than marines, but as I mentioned in earlier posts, I'm basing their appearance on the art, which, to me, has them looking more slender and less bulky than marines. Since the Emperor hand-crafted the first batches of Custodes and then later used a more advanced and refined version of the gene seed method for future Custodes, I figure he could have made them faster and stronger without all the bulk. I didn't want to take the World of Warcraft approach where more powerful always means BIGGER.

And this figure is actually taller than a marine, not even counting the height of the helm.

Lord Angrypants: Some nice bits on your word bearers, they have a gothic look which suits them.

Brother Chaplain Kage: that Custode is really starting to come together. Once the shoulder guard and cape is fitted they will look a bit more bulky anyway, but I agree with you that the Custodes were more refined then the astartes.

War Angel: There's already a line on the head I've used I'm just going to deepen it slightly. Then paint blood coming over that side of the face although if I remember Space Marine wounds clot quickly. I don't want it to be to over the top because let's face it any serious wound to the head is going to slow even a Space Marine (which is why I find it silly when they don't have helmets on. Why go to all the trouble of genetically engineering a body, casing it in tank style armour but leaving the most vunrable part open for a sniper or stray fire).

Great work all, as I haven't had time to work on my IF I'll throw in another inspirational post :(

++ Inpirational post 2 - Mixed Artwork ++

Starting of with more primarch pictures, and this is one of the best BL covers ever in my opinion.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/blog/2011/10/primarchs%20big.JPG

And a good close up.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/blog/2011/10/fulgrim%20big.JPG

Another BL piece, Fulgrim and Perturabo having some fun.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/blog/2012/04/angel-700.jpg

The wolf, Lord Leman Russ of the VIth Legiones Astartes.

http://theshellcase.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/leman-russ-primarch-of-the-space-wolves-chapter-900x1154.jpg?w=549&h=703

The Emperor of Mankind.

http://obdpictures1.wikispaces.com/file/view/God_Emperor_of_Man.jpg/314124410/God_Emperor_of_Man.jpg

The Lion, Lord Lion El'Jonson of the Ist Legiones Astartes.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110322155547/warhammer40k/images/thumb/7/76/Pre_heresy_lion_el_johnson.jpg/349px-Pre_heresy_lion_el_johnson.jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/011/d/4/the_i_primarch_by_saint_max-d4lzqj5.jpg

The Nighthunter, Lord Konrad Curze of the VIIIth Legiones Astartes.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120223051734/warhammer40kfanon/images/6/63/The_viii_primarch_by_saint_max.jpg

The Death Lord, Lord Mortarion of the XIVth Legiones Astartes.

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g89/190489/190489_1315719401_large.jpg

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g44/258644/258644_1251273696_submedium.jpg

The Gorgon, Lord Ferrus Manus of the Xth Legiones Astartes.

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/7/76/Ferrus_manus_the_10th_primarch_by_1mpact.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110326001814/warhammer40k/images/8/83/Primarch_Ferrus_Manus2.jpg

Amazing work on the Custodes Kage!

Oh before I forget, I will have no internet for a few days (possibly at most a week) so I will not be able to respond/post for a bit.

I'll be switching over to a cheaper internet provider, which if all goes well will only take a day or so.

I'll also have some more pics for you guys as I'm almost finished with my first squad!

Keep at it guys, your all doing great!

See you later.

+++Mr.M+++

Terrific work on the Custodes, Kage ;)

Ludovic

Amazing work on the Custodes Kage!

Thanks! I'm trying my hand at making the shoulder pads from Fimo since it has a much longer working time than greenstuff and it can be cured in a little toaster oven in about 10-12 minutes, so I hope I have new progress in that area in the next few days.

-BCK

Custodes WIP Update

I got some GS work done on the helmet and I'm starting to rough in the idea for the spear:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/CustodesConcept2a.jpg

I've also admitted defeat on the scratch-built shoulder pads if I want to have any hope of finishing these guys by the deadline. What he's wearing in this picture is a regular marine shoulder pad cut down to make it shorter and the the trim has been removed. I really thought it would still be too wide, and I'd have to section a chunk out of the middle, put it back together, and then clean it up, but it really doesn't look too big. Although you can't see it in this pic, I cut out the crescent shape to the lower edge of the shoulder pad as seen in the all the artwork - I'll try get some pics of that up tomorrow.

-BCK

Kage: He is really starting to come together, the helmet is excellent. Have you thought about decoration for the shoulder pads? I picture something akin to the Sangurary Guard pads in my mind although maybe a bit ott.

I am one model shy of my 5 man squad, but I'm not happy with 2 of my marines. They look to dull, so the I have brainstormed some ideas and have planned the next 3 members of the squad to be a bit more exciting. Unfortunatly I'm currently visiting family 'up north' so I doubt I will get anything done until next week.

Kage: He is really starting to come together, the helmet is excellent. Have you thought about decoration for the shoulder pads? I picture something akin to the Sangurary Guard pads in my mind although maybe a bit ott.

From the artwork, it looks like it's either eagles and lightning bolts or Maltese Crosses(think Black Templars) and ivy leaves. I dunno how well I could do with with the eagles thing, so it might be the ivy, crosses, lightning bolts, and more abstract decorations.

I am one model shy of my 5 man squad, but I'm not happy with 2 of my marines. They look to dull, so the I have brainstormed some ideas and have planned the next 3 members of the squad to be a bit more exciting. Unfortunatly I'm currently visiting family 'up north' so I doubt I will get anything done until next week.

Can't wait to see 'em.

Archived