A tale of 20 gamers, a galaxy asunder.

Freakin' amazing job on the Custodes so far Kage!

Can't wait to see some paint on them.

Thanks! :)

I'm starting to think that blade is a little too big and might cut it down a little. As for paint, I'm going to see about doing a test paint job on something soon, as it's been a while since I've painted gold in any large amount.

Toxichobbit - Vlka Fenryka (Space Wolves)

Finally the stuff i've been waiting for has arrived, so i've done some work on the first of my Hunter squad. He's very much still WIP, i need to scuplt some chain to hold the fur on his right shoulder in place and i want to add an axe in a loop at his belt, probably replacing one of the ammo pouches that is there currently. It gives you some idea of what i'm going for though - less WOLF! and more nordic barbarian. I'd like to incorporate some knotwork patterns into the armour when i paint him up, but, we'll see how that goes. I don't know if i have the skill to pull it off.

Anyway, i have a few question about heresy era Wolves.

Pack Markings - i'm aware of how pack organisation worked then, with Terrans being Claw, Hunter and Long Fang packs while Fenrisians were organised into Fenris Blood and Fenris Hunter packs, but, did they have any pack markings? I can't see any on the pre-Heresy artwork that i have access to (Volumes I - IV of the various HH Visions books plus the relevant Space Wolf IA article), so i'd guess it would be something similar to modern markings, either with the geometric patterns, of the various squad symbols (paw print for Claws, wolf head portrait for Hunters and wolf skull for Long Fangs). I guess i could even use both the geometric design and symbols, one on the Terran squads and one on the Fenrisian squads.

Great Company Markings - there's 13 Great Companies within the Wolves, but does anyone know what they used for Company markings? I'm guessing they're either the same as the current markings (plus an extra one for the 13th) or something that the current markings evolved from. The artwork in the various HH Visions books has some of the Wolves with symbols on their pads similar to modern Great Company markings, so that's probably a good place to start.

Armour types - although i've read Prospero Burns & A Thousand Sons, i don't have access to them at the moment (unfortunately). Can anyone remember if there's any mention of a particular Mk of armour being more prevelant within the Wolves? Also, anyone know if they mix armour types within packs, like their 40k descendents have always done (even back in 2nd ed, the Wolves were noted for having mixed armour types in squads although every other chapter had squads consisting of all the same armour type).

Also, how do you do those funky title boxes that everyone seems to love?

Anyway, here's some very WIP shots of my first Hunter (or maybe Fenris Hunter, not decided yet).

gallery_61651_7534_9494.jpg

gallery_61651_7534_27295.jpg

really great looking work from everyone so far. im still waiting for my stuff, its a frustrating part of life hey. but will (hopefuly) have something to show soon. feels like iv been away forever

Gawain Veteris, Legio XIII Ultramarines, Post 2 - WIP Tactical Line Astartes

Evening, Brothers!

Sorry for yet another delay. Work has been intense. Everyone has produced sterling work on this thread so far. Well done! Now, over the last few days I've made some progress on the first-five-figures!
The majority of the green stuff work is yet to be done but the 'Praetor' pattern helms (Originating from Veridian Forgeworld in the Calth system) are done on three of these guys. I've also prepared the bare bones (I.E un altered bits) of a MKIV assault squad which are pre helm detail stage for next month's quota.
As mentioned in an earlier post I intend to model these guys at Battle for Calth time period. An ugly fight. As the army comes together it will be a rag-tag force of scattered, battered and regrouping elements of the XIII. To this end battle damage and different unit identifications and indeed blood (lots of blood) will be key. After re-reading 'Know no fear' I am reminded of how intense the betrayal of the Word Bearers was. I look forward to trying to embody this concept in the models.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/007.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/004.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/003.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/005-1.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/008.jpg

In a related note I have a suggestion for another possible element of this thread. It strikes me that we are in a unique position, all pursuing pre-heresy projects individually, covering every known legion. Not only this but we're all working on our own personal idea of them.
Basically, in light of 6th Edition and some of the new scenarios in the book I reckon something cool we could do is collaborate to make scenarios for the major conflicts in the Horus Heresy. For example myself and Lord Angrypants (if ofcourse he wants in) could work out and write a scenario for the forum which could represent the battle for calth as we are working the legions involved. We could do a fighting retreat themed mission when the first treacherous shots are fired while the sky is raining capital ships! or a consolidate mission where in the face of betrayal a counter attack or desperate attempt at gaining a key objective like ammo or comms is played out! or even a draconian boarding action fought on the skin of a battleship in the middle of a point blank void war above the doomed planet! Imagine for example an Istvaan themed scenario, even just to use as a template, or a battle for mars or even Terra! In this way we could flesh out the personalities of our forces, forge more ties with other members, increase motivation to finish projects and give other pre-heresy/heresy era enthusiasts the opportunity to play out the bitterest and most influential conflicts in the fluff!

Let me know what you think, Brothers.

edit 29/07/2012 **Just literally minutes after writing this saw the FW Horus Heresy teaser trailer. I imagine I have been beaten to the galactic punch on the scenario thing so no worries guys haha damn...**

Hi great work everyone. Just wanted to let you all know that there is a very interesting teaser video on the gw website regarding a very exciting release in Autumn. Me thinks you will all like...... alot!

Forge World doing the heresy series. May cry...

I wonder what we will see released. I would be happy just for some more artwork for the RG as there isn't much in the collected visions.

Toxichobbit: nice start on the space wolves. The only thing I can remember on the armour was the use of furs, and runes and the like. Read them ages ago though. The title box code is on the 2nd page of the thread.

Gawain Veteris: Those Praetor helms look excellent. Will you be modelling on battle damge, and if so how?

I believe all legions will be spread across 3 books and Forgeworld will be releasing models representing the Primarchs. The series of books will also be seperate from the Imperial armour series. Cant believe I may be the proud owner of my very own Angron someday!

Me neither, I'll have to tell my GF that she'll have to give up any hope of a prospering future with kids or any other cost expensive luxury... XD

I still have my doubts about the primarch models though, as they have always said that they would end up being too OP for any game, and technically it is still possible to play many of the scenarios without the emperors sons.

But who knows, maybe the tempus fugitives stuff have made some gears turn in the big cooperation, and maybe we will be blessed with Primarchs (I wouldn't complain) and who knows, maybe it'll be a matter of them being one men armies and large apocalypse style battles will need a single player for a primarch and then another/several others to control the legions :lol: Just a thought :tu:

All the info I have given was from a seminar at Games Day Chicago. I wasnt there but several sources are confirming this all over the 40k forums. You shouldnt always believe everything on the internet but at least the vid on the GW site confirms a book in Autumn, I just hope everything else I have heard is true.

GV, Post 3, Legio XIII Ultramarines Assault and Tactical marines

Hello again, Brothers.

I've got some more work done today. The tacticals are ready for a lick of paint and the assault marines just need one or two finishing touches (preheresy bolt pistols).

I've made the heresy era chainswords by cutting half the end off a standard chainsword and replacing it with some of the teeth from another chainsword. The result is something which looks a lot more brutal while also, on a practical note (which is exactly where the Ultra's like to be) they're more efficient at stabbing. Much like a roman gladius.... hmmm

The jump packs are from the sanguinary guard sprue.

To make heresy era bolt pistols on a budget I shave off the sides of standard bolt pistols up to the ammo feet and in line with the back bit, and add a little 'spent casing vent' on the side with a little green-stuff.

The 'Praetor' pattern heads are made from standard tactical marine heads with the visor section literally sliced off and replaced with green-stuff.

Finally the last picture is of Captain Ventanus as he stands right now. You'll notice that so far I haven't used any forgeworld bits on him at all. This is because I wanted to demonstrate a method for preheresy armour I've developed. If you guys are interested a tutorial can easily be made?

Born offside: You asked how I intended to do the battledamage. The majority of it will be done with paint because as much as I want these guys to look battered I want them still to look dangerous and not disabled. I do intend to do a squad one month which is in full retreat however (arms missing, dragging badly wounded brothers along with them, dead bodies) and for that I will be using green-stuff, files and drills mostly for bullet holes and such.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/PreHeresyUltramarines010.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/PreHeresyUltramarines009.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/PreHeresyUltramarines008.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/PreHeresyUltramarines007.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/PreHeresyUltramarines005.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/PreHeresyUltramarines002.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/028.jpg

Gawain Veteris: Really excellent stuff. The helmets make them look so menacing and cool and the gladius chainswords really fit. Hanks for letting me know about the battle damage, still trying to figure out how to represent on my guys. I'm thinking a mixture of bullet holes and paint job.

Born Offside: Bullet holes definitely. When it's done right it looks excellent. Some model makers over-damage their minis in my opinion. In a game the models still on the table (excluding characters who have multiple wounds) are to be considered still capable of fighting, so if they've got a chain-axe where their head should be I think it is too much.

Born Offside, Post 3 - WIP Raven Guard - Squad Aetius

I have finished putting together my first squad, minus modeling a bit of damage which I am still deciding how to do. I'm calling this squad Aetius in honor of the Sargent, Seneca Aetius one of the last remaining Raven Guard Terran born marines. He was also the first model I put together. I am hoping the squad looks like it is embattled, and while they do not represent everything I envisioned in my head, it does means I do have ideas for the second squad. Any way pictures:

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/Heresy-Raven%20Guard/20120730_235524.jpg
The guy on the left is holding a grenade, its hard to see in the picture but I was aiming for it to look like he was going to pull the pin. The middle guy I am thinking will have taken a round to the right of his chest throwing him back a bit. The dagger hilt will be fixed to line up better.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/Heresy-Raven%20Guard/20120730_235616.jpg
Not so keen on these guys but ran out of steam with poses. The middle guys etched brass has been pressed down better so its not sticking up any more!
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/Heresy-Raven%20Guard/20120730_235643.jpg
I may change the rocket marines left arm to make it look less static.

Here's a picture of squad Aetius together:
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/Heresy-Raven%20Guard/SquadAetius.jpg

I'm going to Spain for a week on Saturday so I will probably wont get to painting until I get back. Having looked at SCC Raven Guard in this forum I think I will steal his recipe (well sort of, I only have citadel paints) to get a good clean black color before adding weathering and battle damage to make them look beat up. Also was the color of Istavaan V's terrain ever mentioned. I have it in my head its volcanic and black, however the only volcanic place I have ever visited was Lanzarote (my Wife is Spanish so I tend to go to Spain a lot!) and looking at the pictures from that trip the volcanic wasteland is brown and red. Right should really get to bed before I pick up a knife and do something stupid.

Just realised that last line sounded odd. By something stupid I meant cutting up a model or starting a new squad or something. I'm not some pycho with a knife, honest...

Born Offside: Squad Aetius looks brilliant. The poses, mixed armour variants and general theme of the warriors you've made are so XIX Legion. I particularly like the grenade-pin pulling marine, and the marine salvaging a World eater helmet. I also like your use of cork on the bases. Where do you get yours?

From what I gathered the landscape of Istvaan V was like grey/black desert. And cold. It was formerly a populated world but was destroyed/destroyed itself through some disaster or war? I can't remember clearly.

For the brass etch I've always found over bending it to work well, like around a marine leg or a scout shoulder pad before you glue it to the desired power armour plate. That way the shoulder plate is slightly bigger than the curve and fits better.

Gawain Venteris: Thanks for the comments. I got the cork from eBay. It's the most usefull basing item ever. If Istvaan V is a desert I may add some sand to he bases. Grey seems like a better colour to use seeing as the RG are almost entirely black. I had been pre-curving the etched brass but that one just slipped through the check. Still better to see it now then while painting.

Great stuff by everyone so far, really loving the character that people are managing to fit into their forces. Well, after too long, I am finally back with....

ThisisJimmy - White Scars WIP Post 3

Yes, finally some painting progress! After some pretty significant issues painting up my first miniature, I have learnt a very important lesson: always wash your models thoroughly(!) before applying any primer. After recovering from that disaster, I have managed to finish off my true test model (and I do apologise about the quality of the pictures).

gallery_64426_7455_204226.jpg

gallery_64426_7455_76014.jpg

gallery_64426_7455_10457.jpg

A few notes; the red triangle on the right shoulder pad is my Brotherhood's "tactical" designator. It looks similar enough to draw parallels to the Codex symbol, but different enough to not be instantly recognise it as such. The symbol on the left knee pad and right shoulder pad (next to the tactical symbol) is the squad designator, the Classic Mongolian symbol for 4.

Now hopefully with the test model out of the way, I can get cracking on the rest of the squad.

Is that black battle damage? I really like that, but might I suggest that you dirty the white a bit? A couple of washes of watered down Scorched Brown would do the trick I think. That way you can actually highlight the armour + around the battle damage to make the trompe l'oeil to make it more distinctly battle damage rather than black splatter.

I'm a bit biased, but I really prefer dirty white to pure white!

Unfortunately the pictures don't really show much of the detail. The black areas are actually a dark grey and lined with pencil. Like you've probably heard a million times on the Internet, I swear the effect looks better in real life :). I get what you are saying about the dirty white, but I feel that with all the other damage, it might look too dirty.

@Gawain Veteris - Thanks mate, it's much appreciated. The bolter comes from the Tigrus pattern set from Forgeworld

Archived