A tale of 20 gamers, a galaxy asunder.

Night Hunters Post 9 - 5 man combat squad II

Good evening all!

After 3.5 hours hunched over the desk bearing the obligatory scalpel scars I present the first half of a regular squad of Alphas!

Sorry about the soft focus!

gallery_42238_7423_28949.jpg

gallery_42238_7423_113661.jpg

Think these will get the lighter mainstream pre-heresy colour being line units rather than a stealth squad but we shall see...

Cheers all!

Night Hunters Post 9 - 5 man combat squad II

Good evening all!

After 3.5 hours hunched over the desk bearing the obligatory scalpel scars I present the first half of a regular squad of Alphas!

Sorry about the soft focus!

gallery_42238_7423_28949.jpg

gallery_42238_7423_113661.jpg

Think these will get the lighter mainstream pre-heresy colour being line units rather than a stealth squad but we shall see...

Cheers all!

Hey mate, i love your Alpha Legion models, theyre incredible. Im gonna start a pre heresy AL army when i get paid, could i steal your idea of the darker colours with the metallics for my stealth squads? :D

Sure thing brother, go right ahead :lol:

Just be sure to post up some pictures!

Hydra Dominatus brother!

Thank you, much appreciated :D

I will have a WIP thread, as soon as i get paid :D

Gonna order some fw mkIV armour, shame the guns are so exspensive!

Devistator squad done Except for the seg's base. I still have to paint it up. Easy enough to do just want to wait until i start the base on Da Contemptor below. I toned down the Eye glowy stuff some and added hazard strips to the missile launchers. I don't care if its fluffy or not. The yellow really pops with the purple. If its a problem, just imagine they looted them from a supplies cache. (They actually in all likelihood would have.)

http://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/StephenHarris/_201208051458/org/IMG_5093/web.jpg

http://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/StephenHarris/_201208051458/org/IMG_5095/web.jpg

Family Photo:

http://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/StephenHarris/_201208051458/org/IMG_5102/web.jpg

Also I started working on this guy after putting him together earlier this week. The arms bellow the shoulder armor plate have been magnetized so i can swap out weapons and even the soon to be dead SoH i magnetized to the base for easy removal during painting and transportation. The base was done out of left over resin sprue, a chunk or two of left over 1cm thick plastic card a coating of rough sand, and then a coat of plaster of Paris to represent Ash and battlefield gunk everywhere. Its been given a wash of watered down abbadon black and scorched brown with some hardcoat and PVA glue to help it settle and flow over the PoP better. The purple is done. Im going to try and do some free hand on him with gold but I want to finish the rest of the metallic area's first. Last will come the Weathering and battle damage so he wont look this nice and shiny after im done with him and will help darken the purple up a bit too which i like. After all 40k is Gothic. :)

http://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/StephenHarris/_201208051458/org/IMG_5107/web.jpghttp://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/StephenHarris/_201208051458/org/IMG_5112/web.jpghttp://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/StephenHarris/_201208051458/org/IMG_5113/web.jpghttp://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/StephenHarris/_201208051458/org/IMG_5110/web.jpg

Holy....... Those look awesome!!! Especially the missile launchers, normally I think those ones look silly, but the way you have done them they actually look good.

It turns out Warpstone glow does match snot green really well, so should have some pics to post tonight.

Great stuff all around here. You're really getting through your models there MordentHex, and to such a great standard as well. And TDA, that's a really impressive haul there mate, I'm waiting on some more resin-crack myself, although not quite as impressive as yours :)

Oh and congratulations sheep on more features in the WD Daily, well deserved.

ThisisJimmy - White Scars WIP Post 7

Just a little check in with my own stuff, basically the long and short is I'm still trucking away and they should ready for upload soon enough. To take a break from painting all that white, I've managed to knock up a very WIP version of some form of character. The general idea behind him is the 2IC to my Khan in the Brotherhood, but he is more of a fighter than a leader, hence the better armour and gucci weapons. A few things, like the head, are just place holders at the moment.

gallery_64426_7455_81352.jpg

Any advice you can give, particularly relating to his pose I would be greatly appreciative of. There is something a little bit off about him, but I just can't place it.

Cheers

He's a bit hunched at the moment, coupled with the stance of his legs it kinda looks like he's trying to carefully look around a corner or something.. "what's going on over there?" - sorta thing.

Could that be what you mean?

I think if you turn his torso a bit more to his right then it'll look more like he's about to pounce on someone.

Hi there everyone, I'm going to have to pull out since I want to change the Legion I want to work on. If anyone wants to do Word Bearers then fill free to step up, I for one want to do Night Lords at my own pace.

NOOOOOO!!!! Grey armour, go with the grey armour!!! Why doesn't anyone paint the Word Bearers in their best scheme?!?

gallery_37532_5424_34441.jpg

Do you still have this slot? Just started a blog for Word Bearers in Grey...!

Cheers for the advice GooseDaMoose. What I ended up doing was moving his torso more upright, whilst also bending the legs into a more appropriate stance. Before, a lot of the weight was on his right leg, which had a slight bend in it. Now I've used the old "hot water" trick to straighten out that right leg and adding more of a bend to the left leg. To me, it makes him look like he is leaning more on that leg, preparing to leap. Ah well, enough talk, here is the reposed WIP:

gallery_64426_7455_236981.jpg

@MordentHex - The main idea behind this guy is he is more function than form, hence why he looks more armoured than the regular joe. He tends to get right into the thick of it, where thick armour is more important than any sort of accessory. With that in mind, he is still highly WIP, so he will still needs things like furs and an appropriate head added to him before he is ready to paint.

Cheers for the advice GooseDaMoose. What I ended up doing was moving his torso more upright, whilst also bending the legs into a more appropriate stance. Before, a lot of the weight was on his right leg, which had a slight bend in it. Now I've used the old "hot water" trick to straighten out that right leg and adding more of a bend to the left leg. To me, it makes him look like he is leaning more on that leg, preparing to leap. Ah well, enough talk, here is the reposed WIP:

gallery_64426_7455_236981.jpg

@MordentHex - The main idea behind this guy is he is more function than form, hence why he looks more armoured than the regular joe. He tends to get right into the thick of it, where thick armour is more important than any sort of accessory. With that in mind, he is still highly WIP, so he will still needs things like furs and an appropriate head added to him before he is ready to paint.

No no, you misunderstand. He looked like a basketball player in power armor. Tall and lanky. Not bulky with extra armor. Sense you are still putting extra gizmo's on him its ok i guess. The model just doesn't strike me as a bulky armored marine, more of a silent hunter Like the Son of Horus in the outcast dead novel.

No no, you misunderstand. He looked like a basketball player in power armor. Tall and lanky. Not bulky with extra armor. Sense you are still putting extra gizmo's on him its ok i guess. The model just doesn't strike me as a bulky armored marine, more of a silent hunter Like the Son of Horus in the outcast dead novel.

Ah, I think I understand what you mean. I have a feeling that has more to do with my terrible photography than anything else, in that first image, the ratio of height to width got a little messed up, so he would appear taller and thinner. I've compared him to a normal marine just to make sure I hadn't done something really stupid, and apart from being a bit taller due to him standing on that rock, he looks just as bulky. Cheers for bringing it to my attention though, still working out this whole photography business :)

Ah, I think I understand what you mean. I have a feeling that has more to do with my terrible photography than anything else, in that first image, the ratio of height to width got a little messed up, so he would appear taller and thinner. I've compared him to a normal marine just to make sure I hadn't done something really stupid, and apart from being a bit taller due to him standing on that rock, he looks just as bulky. Cheers for bringing it to my attention though, still working out this whole photography business ;)

Yes, that's it. The picture is squashed sideways, which makes him look strange ;) Nothing wrong with the model itself! However, what makes me shed a tear, is the fact that you butchered a Sevrin Loth model :cuss Otherwise, looking great :devil:

Ludovic

Archived