A tale of 20 gamers, a galaxy asunder.

@ThisisJimmy: Can't wait to see some White Scars bikers Pre-Heresy style!

@Gawain Veteris: Very nice. Would love to see Calth themed Ultramarines for sure. I'm a big fan of the Macragge style hemets myself. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us to drool over.

@Battle Brother Ludovic: I'm definitely a huge fan of Sisters of Silence and with all that great inspiration to pull from I'm definitely looking forward to what you have to post.

Awesome job guys!

If the thread organiser Mr. Malevolent would be so kind to make the legion names on the list on page 1 into a link to the first project related post by each member I suggest that we should all be responsible for adding an inventory from there on our own updates (not the comments, only the "official" updates) as a part of each of our initial legion posts which would create an infra structure for easy following the progress of each of us without having to sift through piles of comments.

Yeah I'll start work on that A.S.A.P.

Mr.Malevolent, Emperor's Children W.I.P. Post #1 - "Tactical Squad" 1

So let me begin with my first squad.

gallery_57364_7441_100309.jpg

The Vet Sergeant

gallery_57364_7441_1021079.jpg

gallery_57364_7441_852869.jpg

gallery_57364_7441_671123.jpg

The converted Flamer

gallery_57364_7441_216442.jpg

Inspired by 1000Heathens conversion work using Grey Knight parts HERE and the new 6th edition rules for Overwatch and the lethal potential of Flamers, I decided my Emperor's Children needed a bigger, bulkier Flamer then the "norm". This IS the Heresy Era after all :D

So I hope you guys like them so far.

I know I do!

A quick question: Does anyone know if the Stormtalon would look out of place in this era army? I have the WD for its rules but they don't go into its history at all (at least that I can't see) and never give a date or time frame from when they started seeing use. I will be probably using Codex: Vanilla Marines for the local Tournies and such and was just drawing a blank on this.

Thanks guys and gals.

Nice start, like the highlighting and the purple,later today I will actually try and assemble a 5 man squad. (Wish I could actually get to sleep)

Am now seriously worried I am going to let the thread down with my conversion and painting skills, guess no better time like the present for improvement :Troops:

Nice start, like the highlighting and the purple,later today I will actually try and assemble a 5 man squad. (Wish I could actually get to sleep)

Am now seriously worried I am going to let the thread down with my conversion and painting skills, guess no better time like the present for improvement :Elite:

You'll do fine!

No one will be letting anyone else down on their abilities as hobbyists.

I like to think of this as a team effort and everyones submissions are just as important. :Troops:

Nice start Mr Malevolent! I knew this plog was going to deliver the goods.

Excellent combo with the purple and gold. What have you used as your base coat spray?

Hey Mr Rune Priest Ridcully dont feel like that. These plogs are great for everyone sharing ideas and supporting each other, just do what you do and enjoy it :P

I can see this log being a big distraction for me over the coming months... (I will not start a pre heresy army I will not start a pre heresy army)

Excellent combo with the purple and gold. What have you used as your base coat spray?

If your referring to the purple, I airbrushed Liche Purple over Black Primer from P3. I had two full paint pots left before the GW paint switch so it seems Slaanesh has favored me haha

I can see this log being a big distraction for me over the coming months... (I will not start a pre heresy army I will not start a pre heresy army)

I know right?

Since the price increases and the rude intrusions of real life I've narrowed down my armies to Emperor's Children and Necrons (and possibly a splinter Alpha Legion force). Every time theres a new painting thread I get distracted from my projects haha

Would love to see some Pre-Heresy Era stuff from you, maybe just a single Marine?

^^ "Just a single marine" You are evil, you know full well that is how it starts! Well I suppose I could try one Ir... (arrghh get off me, get your hands off mmmrgghh)

This is Captain Chrysaetos of the Raptors 5th company. Artificer Yak will not I repeat NOT be able to work on any other projects until the completion of My Company, Thank you for your time.

(I will not start a pre heresy army I will not start a pre heresy army)

You are foolish to resist, I managed it for well over for a year, swore my thousand sons and Iyanden eldar would be my last 40k projects and look at me now :P

Go on, you know you want to....

We have Cookies :lol:

Captain Chrysaetos, if my Rubricae are to have a endure the poor painting work they endure for who knows how many turns of luna, then your loyalist [CENSORED BY THE IMPERIAL INQUISITION] butter eaters can wait just as long.

-Sorcerer Captain Zarathustra Suicune.

Death Guard Trooper's, WIP Post 1- The Betrayed of the XIV

Im going to go with the events that solidified loyalties to the Warmaster on Isstvan III. May limit me on some things but ill continue to be a loyaist at heart.

The Ground Forces under Captain Ullis Temeter

My army will be based on the loyal squads sent under Captain Temeter. Ill do my best to keep up will the caliber ive already seen rocking here.

So, here goes;

First off one of Temeter's Lieutenants, Veteran Sergeant Damascus and Sergeant Randoulf. Randoulf took over for Damascus as squad leader after his promotion outside the unit. Damascus was a prior Dusk Raider and instilled to same loyalies into his squad that he had, dooming them all.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Death_Guard_Trooper/Vets/Untitled.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Death_Guard_Trooper/Vets/Untitled-4.jpg

A team from first squad.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Death_Guard_Trooper/Vets/Untitled-1.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Death_Guard_Trooper/Vets/Untitled-2.jpg

Horrible at fluff and pic taking, appologies. Feedback, is always awesome.

@Mr.Malevolent - You may be waiting a little while for those Pre-Heresy bikers unfortunately. I figured I'd get started on some stock standard Tactical Marines in Rhino first. Figured I'd go for something normal before I start on some converting shenanigans. They are part of the grand plan though.

Great work on your first Tactical squad as well mate. Really like the eagle wing on the shoulder pad, fits beautifully with the fluff

Edit: Very nice looking Death Guard the DGT. Loving that really clean looking bone colour you've got going there. Did you free-hand the shoulder pad symbol?

@hushrong: Thanks my friend!

@Death Guard Trooper: Your first entry is looking sweet. Love the use of the FW Minotaur Chaplain!

@ThisisJimmy: Ah, understandable. Still looking forward to some Pre-Heresy White Scars either on foot or bike.

first up... great work so far :) not gonna point out specifics cos this post will go on forever :huh: i found the only bad thing about all this... waiting for stuff to arrive in the post ;) willl hopefuly have something to show soon. (first time ordering from forgeworld, so dont really kow what to expect :P)

@Mr. M: Your EC are looking spot on, and the Flamer is looking great. Out of curiousity, what blade are you thinking of using for Lucius?

@DGT: The Chappy looks friggin' sweet, nice conversion bro.

I know I won't be a part of the competition, but I think I'm gonna make at least one Great Crusade-era Terran White Scar, just because I've always wanted to, and y'all inspired me.

You jerks. As if I don't already have enough on my plate..... :o

@Mr. M: Your EC are looking spot on, and the Flamer is looking great. Out of curiousity, what blade are you thinking of using for Lucius?

Thank you for the very kind words!

I was thinking of doing some crazy sword conversion made from parts of an Eldar/High Elf sword. Something similar to what DaemonPrinceDargor did for his conversion of Veteran Sergeant Demetrius.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/7/2/384506_sm-Conversion.jpg

@Battle Brother Ludovic: I'm definitely a huge fan of Sisters of Silence and with all that great inspiration to pull from I'm definitely looking forward to what you have to post.

Cheers mate :P I don't know if I'll have anything done too soon, but I'll do my best to hurry up, while also finishing off my ETL vow!

I was thinking of doing some crazy sword conversion made from parts of an Eldar/High Elf sword. Something similar to what DaemonPrinceDargor did for his conversion of Veteran Sergeant Demetrius.

I thought the pose looked familiar ;)

Mr.Malevolent, that purple is magnificent and your models have very cool poses ;) DGT, those Death Guard look good and I like the conversion you've done!

Ludovic

Yes but when you have artists like yourself and The Damned Artificer on it, I can't help but feel I have to improove my painting, so it's a good thing, especailly if it means I give each model a decent amount of attention.

I'm sure your models will be awesome mate ;) The thing that impresses me the most is the determination from each of you to get the feeling of your legion right, and that for me is the most important aspect, one I myself strive to achieve and I'm positive that you will all end up with fantastic armies ;) This is a joint project log after all, which is about supporting each others work and have fun, despite our different levels of modeling skills :)

Mr. Malevolent and Death Guard Trooper I love your models so far! :) Keep up the good work and you guys should make respectively a Nathanial Garro and Saul Tarvits with their inscribed eagles on their vambraces ;)

Glad to see my suggestion could bring another 2 peps into the fold :)

Spose I should do my first inspiration post, so here goes . . .

Sheep, Post 1 - Inspiration/motivation

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/Sons_of_Horus_Badge-2.png

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg

"Yes. I was there, at the end.

I fought on the world that had cradled our race, where sky and earth touched, on the walls of a false gods hubris and conceit.

I watched as demi gods clawed and grappled, murdered and speared each other. I saw the fists of Dorn bleed and die, the angels of Sanguinius weeping tears of blood as they were cast from the heavens, the Khans barbarian hordes unhorsed by bolter fire.

I saw my brothers die, in ignominy, uncelebrated by an empire we spent 300 years forging in blood and battle.

But mostly I remember hearing the laughter of the uncaring gods as we failed, and Horus died, and the bitter taste of defeat like ash in my throat.

That was your glorious siege whelp, and damn you for making me speak of it"

- Captain Tyberadon 17th company, formerly Sons of Horus,

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/SonsOfHorusMarine.jpg

So like everyone here I have always been intrigued by the heresy, however its only come alive to me since the start of the Black Library series. Unfortunately its taken me until now to settle on a legion to try and bring to life on the table top.

I've selected the Sons of Horus because I haven't seen one done the way I envisioned it.

There have been some great attempts, and amazing Horus models done throughout the last few years, but most fall short of the brutality that I think of when I think of a siege. Battle damage, bionics, burns scars and destroyed terrain. I'm going to be doing them in the midst of the siege, crushing the Emperors lap dogs the Imperial fist underfoot.

Looking at this piece of artwork for inspiration (unfortunately showing them in their Lunar Wolves livery) we can see the Grecian style head plumes they wear, ostensibly for their Captains because of the scarcity of them in such a sea of homo-astartes. However its not definitive so a more wide spread use on Sgts may get a look in to add a spot colour to the palette.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/falsegodsbig.jpg

I have a mass of Mk 5 marines, a dozen or so Mk 4, 10-15 Mk 3, and 5 Mk 2's. These troops will be combined in heresy style to a bunch of mixed Mk's in heavily battle damaged teal. Any chaosification will be purely paint based, no sculpted filigree.

The first model I have built however is a contemptor.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/IMG_0647.jpg

Thanks for looking and for all the inspiring posts and content you guys have put up so far.

Looking at this piece of artwork for inspiration (unfortunately showing them in their Lunar Wolves livery) we can see the Grecian style head plumes they wear, ostensibly for their Captains because of the scarcity of them in such a sea of homo-astartes. However its not definitive so a more wide spread use on Sgts may get a look in to add a spot colour to the palette.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/falsegodsbig.jpg

I have a mass of Mk 5 marines, a dozen or so Mk 4, 10-15 Mk 3, and 5 Mk 2's. These troops will be combined in heresy style to a bunch of mixed Mk's in heavily battle damaged teal. Any chaosification will be purely paint based, no sculpted filigree.

I would take that artwork with a pinch of salt - I can't even work out what armour mark that is supposed to be.

I would take that artwork with a pinch of salt - I can't even work out what armour mark that is supposed to be.
Looks to me like MK V with legion themed helms and close combat gear.

Like I said, take it with a pinch of salt. MK V armour wasn't even in the works when they were still known as the Luna Wolves. Also, that Bolt Pistol almost looks cute it's so small.

Wow, loads of progress!

Malevolent: Sweet! Lovingthe darker purple, really nice!

DGT: great use of that Chapie, I know it's been mentioned before but had to mention it again. Nice clean white as well. But slow down brother, your making me look bad :tu:

And brother sheep, that contemptor is ridiculous! Now I am going to have to get one and copy that pose!!

Great work all round brothers, really enjoying this!

Archived