Building a better Khârn

I like the menacing look of the model, but there's something about the anatomy of the left arm that just seems... off. If you're planning on covering the shoulder up with a pad, this may be fixed, but my major issue is the elbow and forearm- it seems entirely too large for the marine- especially when you consider that the armored one wouldn't even be close to the same size or musculature without the armor in place.

That said, I'm looking forward to see the direction you take the model, as I've long wanted to do updates on some of the classic CSM characters like Khârn (but also Cypher... I even have the sketches done).

Oh, and do NOT Google "Gorechild" with Safe Search off. Trust me on this one. Your ability to sleep tonight will thank you.

HAHA very good advice there!

Well, i cant await to see more progress for this project, very intriguing...

BTW, you still working on your angels?

I am still working on the Angels, but I ordered some greenstuff from an online store and I'm waiting for it to show up before I start back in on them. That's why I'm happy to have Khârn as a diversion until that shows up.

I like the menacing look of the model, but there's something about the anatomy of the left arm that just seems... off. If you're planning on covering the shoulder up with a pad, this may be fixed, but my major issue is the elbow and forearm- it seems entirely too large for the marine- especially when you consider that the armored one wouldn't even be close to the same size or musculature without the armor in place.

That said, I'm looking forward to see the direction you take the model, as I've long wanted to do updates on some of the classic CSM characters like Khârn (but also Cypher... I even have the sketches done).

Yeah, the forearm is a little beefy and still a tad too long. It began life as one of the chaos mutations:

http://i.imgur.com/fPRhb.jpg?1

I wanted it to be bigger than a regular marine arm because, you know... he's the favored of a warp god and who's gonna call foul if he's using performance enhancers?. It's why the right upper arm is also bare, as seen in the Adrian Smith illustration, knowing that there's no way those big guns would fit into regular marine armor. Consequently, once my greentstuff arrives, his upper legs will be larger than normal.

I'd be interested in seeing what you have in mind for Cypher as I was never that amazed with his official model.

This is amazing i dont even play chaos and i want to try this

While I do have a fair amount of Chaos stuff in storage, waiting for a decent codex, I would never use Khârn so this a fun model I probably wouldn't have built otherwise. I've also been tempted to try building an updated Abbadon model, but others have already done that much better than I could do. Why don't give something like that a try?

Yeah idle hands do the devils work!

About the arm, its also a bit thin? Its hard to tell form the pics...but you may solve it by wrapping a chain around his are like the original?!

Im honest in saying that i liked the old model alot...damn ive got conversion flu as well now...when GW doesnt redo the angels ICs i may be tempted to try my luck on them ;)

Even if those still are my fav powerarmor minis and they are from 1994...

The only good thing about Cypher was his backpack....ordered like 20 once, awesome for ICs and HQs...for chaplains i use it as it is, for masters/libbies the skeleton on the back need replacement ;)

Yeah idle hands do the devils work!

About the arm, its also a bit thin? Its hard to tell form the pics...but you may solve it by wrapping a chain around his are like the original?!

Im honest in saying that i liked the old model alot...damn ive got conversion flu as well now...when GW doesnt redo the angels ICs i may be tempted to try my luck on them :D

My greenstuff finally showed up last night so I'm going to start filling in the all the gaps on him and I will try for the chains around his left arm, but we'll see how that goes.

Khârn is like Trogdor: he must have a BEEFY ARM. The current BEEFY ARM is a little too long to appear BEEFY. So, bulk it up and it will be awesome.

More bulk? It's already a lot bigger than a regular marine arm. :lol:

Khârn is like Trogdor: he must have a BEEFY ARM. The current BEEFY ARM is a little too long to appear BEEFY. So, bulk it up and it will be awesome.

More bulk? It's already a lot bigger than a regular marine arm. :)

I would say the opposite. The lower part of the arm looks to beefy compared to the upper part, and to not unbalance it completely the forearm needs to be slimmer. I suck at image editing, but I've tried to show what I mean here:

http://i.imgur.com/ySs2o.png

(The black part needs to be shaved away if my superior skills don't already show it)

Allow me to allay your fears and concerns over the bare arm, brothers! The forearm has been shortened and reduced in bulk. Oh yeah, there's chains, too:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/KharnWIP4_Arms.jpg

Why sculpt chains when you can use the real thing, right? It's not like I'm gonna be making a mold and casting him, so no worries about all those little holes between the links. Besides, I tried sculpting chain once. That shiz is hard to do!

Even though the right upper arm will barely be seen once the shoulder pad is on, I wanted to bring the bicep up to the same approximate size as the other arm.

I currently have greenstuff curing on the legs and the chest(making it deeper with a spacer between the halves) so I'll try to have more updates later tonight once they're safe to handle.

Much improved on the anatomy of the arm.

As for Cypher, I had more of a "Man with No Name" -inspired look to the sketches I had stuck together, much like if the classic Clint Eastwood character were crossed with a Space Marine. I don't really see Cypher as evil, just going about his business. Imagine a Space Marine bounty hunter. Anyway, enough rambling.

The legs and torso are cured so I thought I'd throw him together for a quick shot:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/KharnWIP4.jpg

There's some excess GS on the legs that will be trimmed off, but I think this is starting to give everyone a better idea of what I've been seeing in my head for a week now.

Archived