Imperial Fist

Hello there, I'm new to the hobby but after sometime I decided to start painting my Imperial Fist army. I had some Space Wolf Terminators so I decide to try to paint them to see how they would look. This is my first time trying to paint so I hope I did ok. Also sorry for the bad quality pics I took them from my iphone.

gallery_67643_7414_70536.jpg

gallery_67643_7414_194269.jpg

gallery_67643_7414_284588.jpg

gallery_67643_7414_1117308.jpg

Welcome to the hobby!

The good thing with the new citadel paints is that getting yellow (I'm told) is a lot easier. Were you planning on painting the whole terminator yellow?

From what I can make out in the pics, looks like you haven't fallen for the usual newbie mistake of thick paint. You have good coverage and the detail doesn't look lost. If I were to offer advice, I'd pick up some shades (Agrax Earthshade comes to mind) and use that in the cracks and crevasses of the model, to give it that bit of depth.

Other than that, I'd recommend checking out other threads here, as there is a lot of great modeling to be found, and it is a great source of information, and everyone (in my experience) is always happy to answer your questions. Oh and since your going with Imperial Fists, might be worth checking out this discussion thread. There is lot of hobby advice and information on reading material pertaining to your chosen chapter.

Looking forward to your exploits!

Thanks for your reply Syth, you are actually one of the people who inspired me to do Imperial Fist. I really love how your IF look and hope to see more of your work on your Heresy IF. Also yeah this termie is still wip so I still need to paint him all yellow and thanks again for your advice I will definitely try the shades once I get hold of some Agrax Earthshade.

No problem always nice to hear I've done something people like :D. I'm actually in the process of compiling a list of some excellent Imperial Fist threads (most are better then mine), so I'll add that to the Discussion thread when its ready.

Just remember getting the yellow right can be tricky, and it took me a long time before I was happy with it, so just keep at it. Looking forward to your next update.

UPDATE

gallery_67643_7414_2122524.jpg

gallery_67643_7414_1591412.jpg

gallery_67643_7414_1278966.jpg

gallery_67643_7414_2329473.jpg

I still need to give him a wash, do the IF icon, after wash do the highlights, base, paint the needed parts in chainmail, and actually make the power sword look good.

Nothing much so yeah... I will not be getting the Agrax Earthshade, and chainmail until the weekend so I will start with the rest of the squad.

And if people are wondering why he has Space Wolf stuuff, let's just say he got it as a gift from them.

No problem always nice to hear I've done something people like :D. I'm actually in the process of compiling a list of some excellent Imperial Fist threads (most are better then mine), so I'll add that to the Discussion thread when its ready.

Just remember getting the yellow right can be tricky, and it took me a long time before I was happy with it, so just keep at it. Looking forward to your next update.

Yeah the yellow was kinda hard, hopefully I'll get all the paints needed and follow this tutorial:

ps

The yellow looks way better in real life.

A promising start. Just remember to thin your paints a little with some water to ensure it doesn't get claggy. You've got a good strong yellow there, and when you get the shades, you will see the difference.

Oh and keep em coming :whistling:

Yea go for multiple thin layers instead of trying to cover everything in 1 thick layer, and starting with white primer it would be even easier to do :) You already paint better than I when I started ^_^ That yellow is strong and nice color, also you seem to paint pretty clean and not messing up every detail like I used to :D

When your buying brushes, best choice are Kolinsky Sabre brushes. Been using one by Creative Models about an year now and it still has sharp and pointy bristles. They were much cheaper than GW:s brushes also atleast when I got them. After you have been trying out thinning with water dont be afraid to try out some proper paint thinners.

When your buying brushes, best choice are Kolinsky Sabre brushes. Been using one by Creative Models about an year now and it still has sharp and pointy bristles. They were much cheaper than GW:s brushes also atleast when I got them. After you have been trying out thinning with water dont be afraid to try out some proper paint thinners.

Thanks dude, gonna try those brushes, also does anyone know if the army painter brushes are good?

Thanks Mac, I just finished a tactical marine, but won't be putting up photos until late saturday, or early sunday because I want to see how they look like with a wash and highlights. Also does anyone know if I should get Agrax Earthshade or seraphim sepia?

That's a tough call. I tend to use both on my Fists, so they are useful. Agrax will be a darker brown than the Sepia, just depends on who you are going to use them. I tend to use Agrax in the recesses, and Sepia to tone down my highlights.

UPDATE...

Kinda, So I bought the shades and new paints, for my Imperial Fist, so I decided to try another way of painting them. It didn't go well... I used undercoat abaddon black, then a layer of rhinox hide followed by another layer of Averland sunset. I then gave it a full body( Are you supposed to do full body or just recesses?) wash of seraphim sepia. I didn't really like the results but I'll try to fix it. Also finished a tactical marine with my old recipe and gave him a wash and really liked how he looks.

Im gonna give the new recipe another chance to see if I can try to make it better.

I know for me, I do a full wash of agrax, then build up the yellow again in thin coats, then I highlight and then use sepia in the recess, and do a final fix up. But whatever works for you is probably best.

UPDATE

Here is the terminator with a sepia wash

gallery_67643_7414_2103029.jpg

The tactical marine, I know they aren't supposed to have that type of helmet but I like how the pre-heresy helmets looked.

gallery_67643_7414_220848.jpg

Here are some WIP pics...

gallery_67643_7414_2130877.jpg

[gallery_67643_7414_1349155.jpg

And here is the terminator that I didn't like how he turned up.

gallery_67643_7414_1732791.jpg

I know for me, I do a full wash of agrax, then build up the yellow again in thin coats, then I highlight and then use sepia in the recess, and do a final fix up. But whatever works for you is probably best.

Thanks brother Syth, I'll try that when I get agrax.

Archived