Dawn of War...again

Morticon

Heya guys, I had a game with a friend ( BatRep Here where something odd (to me) happened:

Cut pasted from the batrep:

Dolf and I play in different parts of the city, and as is the nature of different gaming groups, there are small interpretive differences regarding some rules. Unfortunately the first rules contention came 5mins into the game when he deployed.

He had deployed the 5man squad, then the 10man squad- and then combat squadded (putting draigo with one).

To me, I thought this was 3 Troops on the board. His argument/interpretation was that CS states the decision to CS is made when you deploy, and he was deploying 1 unit, which then CS. I wasn't going to try argue tooo much one way or another- id just never ever played it like that (or seen it played like that) - likewise he had never played it the other way. (maybe a question for the OR). Also didnt really want to push it further, cause in 1 week it makes no difference. The part that didnt make sense was counting units on the board (3 Troops).

When a unit is CS'ed, they become 2 units (and work as such, just look at the FAQ regarding CS and transports).

So, if he CS'ed a single unit, he's got 2 units deployed. If CSing a Tactical Squad, he's got 2 Troops deployed. If CSing a Devastator Squad, he's got 2 Heavy Support deployed.

I haven't got my Codex here, but I am utterly certain that this is more or less spelled out in the Codex too.

Thats what I feel as well. However, I was stumped at how to argue against his thinking when he said that as per CS rules "the choice to CS is made when you deploy" - so you deploy 1, then CS ? IS that wrong? Right? Thoughts?

Well his argument about when the choice is made only serves to back your side. The choice is made on deployment. He *chose* durring deployment to split that single 10 man unit up into 2 5 man units. So, he had 3 units at the end of DoW deployment (which is a no-no).

.."the choice to CS is made when you deploy"..

To my mind that means that you make the choice before you put your units on to the table because if they hit the table then they are deployed and shouldn't be touched.

If the exact wording is indeed "when you deploy" that is.

The choice is made when you deploy. You can choose to deploy as a single unit or as combat squads. If you choose to deploy 2 combat squads I don't see how that can be said to be a single squad. He chose to deploy as 2 squads. That means there were two squads deployed for 3 total.

Combat squadding means you split into separate units when you deploy. Once you deploy a unit you can't combat squad, so you can't deploy one unit and then split it to get two. And when you do combat squad you have two units, even if it's one Troops slot.

The BRB is also very clear about this, saying that dedicated transports count as a separate units and towards the total amount that can be deployed.

Archived