Painting Blood Angels using army painter red spray.

warsmith

Hello all,

I have a small 600 point Blood Angels force (I use it to help out with a local school club) which I want to get painted for 6th edition but I have no idea where to go with it once I've used the Army Painted red spray (normal red, not dragon red). Now I know that several users on here have used the spray and for the life of me cant find any of the posts/threads I remember having looked at.

Could anyone who has used the spray as the main compenent to paint thier models help me out by giving me their paint mixes/methods and maybe even show me some pictures?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Well, my new approach (no matter if the red basecoat is done with spray or brush) with the realease of the new GW paints is to finish the basecoating with liberally thinned Mephiston Red, then layer the most prominent areas with either old Blood Red or the new Evil Suns Scarlet. Wash with Devlan Mud or the new red wash, and then give a light touch of Blood Red or Evil Suns again. And if I bother with highlighting I'll go with either some orange or the new Wild Rider.

As a side note, I do most of my basecoating with the army painter white spray, but have used this couple of times with the red one too.

Back when I used Army Painter I used the following formula:

GW Black Primer Spray

AP Pure Red Spray

Wash crevises with Devlan Mud

Highlight with Blazing Orange

(Touch up with Blood Red)

It's easy and quick, and gives a nice result to boot. :lol: However, you need to be really, really careful when using the Army Painter sprays because they can easily give a too thick layer of paint.

Because of that I'm now giving the Citadel Spray Gun a twirl for my basecoating purposes. Might even get a decent airbrush one day.

AncientGod has a great thread lurking in the depths here where he used this paint (Pure red) as a red base. I'm using the same method with a slightly different shade colour:

Spray undercoat Black

Spray coat Army Painter Pure Red

GW Blood Red base coat

VMC Burnt Cadmium Red shading (paint thinned paint in recesses)

50/50 VMC Brown Rose + Blood Red edge highlights

100% VMC Brown Rose on sharpest uppermost edges

Ancient Gods' thread: Here

I've painted with the pure red spay a lot. Here is what I do for squads:

Prime white

Pure Red base coat

touch up missed spots with Blood Red

re base coat with a thinned Blood Red all over. Just real quick but later your corrections or additional blood red will match.

Wash with Sepia.

Highlight with blazing orange

extreme highlights with fiery orange

Wash with Baal Red wash.

gallery_43967_5759_495087.jpg

Archived