ETL Strategy thread.

Gillyfish

I'm working on the DW command Squad and Land Raider tonight. I'm in the middle of fighting a slow bug infestation (10 beetles in 6.5 minutes) due to a thunderstorm, so I have to stay up all night anyways. I can scan the door every 10 minutes and get painting done.

Win/win I guess?

Right. WE NEED COMPLETIONS!!! AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh....

The situation is thus: we are exactly 4k points behind the BTs. We need to make a few large strides to cover the largest part of the difference. Something like three completions of 1k+ just to get back in the game. So here goes:

Areyoucrazee - 1,395

badguyshaveallthefun - 1,485

Bringer of Redemption - 1,340

Captain Sox - 1,785

Grand Master Belial - 1,035

Grotsmasha - 1,865

Koraath - 990 (excl. the T-Hawk)

Lokissword - 1,150

RayJ - 970

Dread - 2,145 (second vow)

The average vow of you guys is 1,416 pts. Even if a couple of you guys declare completion this week we're back in the game big time. If three of you manage to complete then we might be leading on your completions alone! We are now in a situation that we need a few big tickets - otherwise the distance will from the BTs will keep widening - don't forget, they keep revowing - and substantial vows at that! So not only we need those big completions fast, we alos need people to remain in the game and vow again - even if the second and subsequent vows are smaller...

Now how about a plan b? Those that have large vows, of more than 500 pts but below the 1k mark. You guys have a big responsibility because it's comparably easier to completed vs. the super vows and you can carry the day. Let's see:

Brother Sergeant Luther - 795

Brother Tancred - 745

Brother-Captain Sharp - 690

Brother-Chaplain Nemiel - 520

Candleshoes - 875

Evil Eyeball - 670

Harleqvin - 526

JeffJedi - 675

Lord_Hail - 655

Master Gabriel Macleod - 695

Pueri ex Deus - 770

The Shadow Guard - 850

Thorstein - 535

Uhr - 525

Elmo9141 - 510 (second vow)

These are 10,036 pts right there. The average vow of all you guys is: 670 pts. And we are a month and three weeks into the ETL already. If 5 out of the 15 of you complete this week it's easily 3,350 pts.

Which brings us to the smaller vows. The basic advantage of the snmall vow is quick completion - and be free to re-vow! The small vows will give us the edge - especially in the latter parts of the ETL where vowing large will entail huge risks. But guys you need to put some completions out there to be able to vow again - even one Master or Azzy will do.

So let's make thisweek count - shall we?

FOR THE LION - TILL THE SWORD IS REFORGED

My 510 points of termies WILL be ready this week Master of Recruits.

Just the pauldrons and shields to do...

Expect photos on Fri :)

My models are assembled, and they should be making a trip through photography by the end of the week (I imagine monday at the latest) Painting should take about a week or two following. I was going to plan on adding a unit of scouts to the queue as a secondary vow...but I don't know if I will finish before the deadline, and I dont want to invalidate my terminators.

Very Respectfully,

--Unforgiven

I got my vow started (actually primed, based, highlighted, washed).

Just waiting to have a few hours to bring up back the colour as I can and thinking of a couple details. I might actually have it done on sunday...depends :)

BTW, do further vows have to be accepted by Captain Semper BEFORE we start or we can just post them and say "I'm gonna do this" and get going?

I'm asking because once I get this vow done...I'll probably expand.

Also, as long as it is painted from 0 within the ETL duration... can I work without placing the vow and if I finish say "Ok, here are the pics of the WIP and I vow XXX".

Horrible wording, I know...but right now can't do much better :P

In order to be allowed to vow again you must have declared completion of the previous vow (with pics and everything). You can think of your new vow, you can even advertise it, but it won't be on record before completion of the previous one is officially declared. Now regarding the other stuff you suggest, the general rule is that you have to start work on your vow after you officially submit it. So in order to officiallly submit it, you must have completed the previous one...

Not that my wording is any better but I hope I got the message accross! :)

Yeah, I know that first you have to finish your first vow...and 60% chances that will happen this weekend.

First lets finish my vow (which I finally got all the parts in!) and then lets worry about the rest.

And here is me thinking...with all the allies stuff...

If I happen to paint say 100 IG, as allies to my DW, would that count? ;)

Unfortunately in my panic gathering up all my materials for this trip last minute, I got all my painting stuff together (including a couple of boxes extra that I just needed for bits) and then promptly forgot the entire remaining box of the Venerable Dread. So while I have the upper body portion and the engine exhaust box, I have to wait for my wife to forward the box to me through the post to actually paint any of the important parts that I need to glue on. Not like priming and base-coating don't take quite a bit of time anyway...

I have mine almost done just picked up a few extra supplies today. Extra detail on old metal models but that is all I'm working on now will have them done in a day or so. Also can keep going with virtually the same squad until time runs out. I have been procrastinating BIG TIME as I could churn out a DW squad a weekend and I still might.

Quick small overview of the situation guys:

As far as completions go we are not doing terribly well... We have completed only 1.3k so far this week which is behind what Chaos and SW have sumitted, and at par with the BTs (that lead with some 5k points difference by know. Next update comes tomorrow - any chance we can get a big completion by then to even the odds? It's crucial to reman as close to the leading forums as possible lest we lose momentum!

My stuff won't be completed for Tuesday's update, but my vow will definitely be complete before Saturday, as all the models in it are being used in my ATC army. I've been splitting some time between playtesting 6th and getting the models for my army finished that aren't viable for ETL (since I'm running a Blood Angels list at ATC). Basically, I have a few more coats on the arms for the bolter marines to finish off those squads, and I'm about 33% done with a dreadnought. I will be working on them tonight, but I don't expect to be entirely done for Tuesday's deadline.

Regardless, you'll have my points for next week, and then I'll be working on some high points cost models, such as HQs to help move things along with some other vows.

That's fantastic Tancred! Your completion is excellenty timed... and much needed too! :)

Any other large vow ready for completion before tomorrow's update? A 1k+ point will definately be crucial to get us in touch with the leading forums...

I haven't forgot about my vow! Unfortunately this is convention season, and I kinda sort of help run a convention, and one of the requirements is to travel around for marketing to OTHER cons. Been a crazy last couple weeks, but I have nothing going on until early August.

As far as an update goes... eep. Well, good news is even though I haven't added any pics recently, most of my troops are all done, need to ink some chest emblems, them add the arms and backpacks and my tactical squads are completely done.

Vets need arms and backpacks as well, and I do need to complete the other 5 assault squad members.

But worry not, I have not forgotten nor plan on procrastinating on finishing these guys! I'll hopefully have my ink back later today so I can finish the tacs up, once those are done it won't seem as though I have a ton left to do and should be able to get through them in less than a week. :D

I should be able to complete my vow (855 points) by next week, and I'll try and get a second vow in during subsequent weeks for Ezekiel to take it over a thousand.

In hindsight it might have been tempting to do the vow in 3 stages: First tactical & Rhino, then second tactical and Rhino, then a final vow of Devs and Rhino. But making a single large vow has probably given me more motivation to do the whole thing, I'm not sure if multiple smaller vows would end up with as much being done even if it resulted in a better weekly progress.

Archived