ETL Strategy thread.

Gillyfish

Guys...

WE ARE GETTING SLAUGHTERED

*ahem*

Right now SWs and BTs are comfortably above 11k pts and Chaos at 10.6k pts. We are still 4th at almost 8k pts. Furthermore we are only 35 pts ahead of the Codex forums. Really, we need 3k pts ASAP to challenge the leaders and breathe a bit! No strategy now, just fat completions!!! I cannot stress enough the importance of this week. Weekend is coming so get some completions out there. Ideally we should get 30% of our points completed which means a bit north of 12k (!).

Let's get this done!

I'll have some time to work on them this weekend, but they still won't be finished, I'm afraid. (slow painter syndrome)

That said, I shall do what I can!

Still at least two weeks away from finishing here Capitan.

Sorry, evenings at home in R/L are full of interruptions ATM.

My vow WILL be finished on time but I don't think I'm going to have spare time to add to it.

No Kittens OK?

Stobz

+++LET'S GET A MOVE ON MY DA BROTHERS, WE CAN NOT LET OUR CHALLENGE TO THE OTHER FORUMS BE OUR SHAME FOR THE NEXT YEAR, LET US FOCUS AND MAKE OURSELVES PROUD!!!!+++

My 3rd vow should be ready mid week and I will be going for the 4th (@210pts) after that (they have just gone into the spray shop :D )

Edit: points (squeezed another melta bomb in)

Yes, yes...

The BTs have more than 13.3k completions. 13.3k. No kidding. And a completion rate of 35%. And they are not alone. SWs: 34%, Chaos: 48% and even BAs and Codex Chapters have 25%. We have ONLY 20%. The lowest completion rate in the entire ETL. THE LOWEST. For some reason we refuse to complete oaths. We need another 10% to get back in the game, that is 4k points. We've done it before (week 6) but now we really need to get back in the game. If we stay below 10k points by next update (Tuesday) I think it will be very hard to win this.

So Areyoucrazee, badguyshaveallthefun, Bringer of Redemption, Koorath, Lokis Sword or even Dread with your second vow, any progress? Things look grim here..

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but honestly, what exactly is being used to justify "completion"? If the models only need three colors on them to be "complete to standard" while others are using 40 to 50 layers on a large model, there really isn't a lot of comparison.

If we want completions, and completions only need three colors, then everyone needs to stop trying to do good work and just slap some paint on. You can paint 3K points a week to a three color standard with some spray and a couple of brushes. Is that really what is wanted for this though? I realize that quality is completely subjective, but there's a specific reason I made a "small vow" for this thing, and all the complaining about lack of completions isn't going to make it any quicker for me to paint.

I know it won't change this one, but next time, a little more equivalency in the amount of painting needed might be in order.

I think everyone will be painting to the best of their abilities. I know that I want to show off my best possible work here.

We have a wide skill level of painters. For some a few colors is their current skill level.

But I'm sure no one wants their name attached to a half finished model and no one would dishonor the ETL by doing so just for points.

Well, I got a fair bit done on my scout this weekend, which is good. Not too much left to do on them at the moment. Nothing on the raider, but that should take less time to paint anyway.

How are the rest of you doing?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but honestly, what exactly is being used to justify "completion"? If the models only need three colors on them to be "complete to standard" while others are using 40 to 50 layers on a large model, there really isn't a lot of comparison.

You can't be a jerk even if you tried! :(

"Completion" is by definition a subjective thing. One cannot apply too strict standards especially in a game played over the internet. The general assumption from my part is that whenever a hobbyist is sitting down to paint they do as good a job as they can. Why shouldn't they? People have to live with their minis long after the ETL is over and gaining a banner in your sig is all very nice but will not compensate for a sub-par mini (which also costs money btw). Also a very small vow will earn one the right to a banner, if that's what one's after. If one vows more it's only because one feels like painting and could use the motivation. At least that's how I understand it.

If we want completions, and completions only need three colors, then everyone needs to stop trying to do good work and just slap some paint on. You can paint 3K points a week to a three color standard with some spray and a couple of brushes. Is that really what is wanted for this though? I realize that quality is completely subjective, but there's a specific reason I made a "small vow" for this thing, and all the complaining about lack of completions isn't going to make it any quicker for me to paint.

And yet you see people trying their best accross all forums. Winning the ETL will not compensate a badly painted 3k pts army. And by badly I mean below the standard ability level of the painter. Dropping your standards might get you more points faster but for what? Ruining your stash?

The "complaining" for lack of completions is based on relative performance. If all subforums for example have completed 1/3 of their total points pledged by now (not the case but close) and the DAs are at 20% then it's obvious that the DAs are lagging behind, losing the edge. Arguing that the DAs are all painting to a higher level and thus take more time to complete and all the others are just rushed jobs I think it's unfair. Especially as some completions so far are really, really high quality stuff.

I know it won't change this one, but next time, a little more equivalency in the amount of painting needed might be in order.

Open to suggestions! ;)

This is the first time such an event takes place (some teething problems cannot be avoided) and I already have a ton of ideas how to improve it in the future - as I'm sure alot of others do as well. At this stage it's not even cetrtain there will be another ETL as it was conceived and designed as an one-off event. Too early to see into the future.

But if you want to have an all-inclusive event, you have to allow for people's different ability levels. And one must operate on good faith and good humour in order to preserve the good natured character of the ETL. Come August 15 everyone has to live with their minis no matter how they did in the ETL...

Oh, trust me, I can be a jerk. ;)

I wasn't trying to denigrate any of the stuff painted by anyone, I'm sure all the forums are trying their best to crank out great minis. What I was trying to say, apparently poorly, is that I don't want to see a push for completions result in less than the great stuff people are putting out. I don't think this forum is painting to a higher standard than anyone else, but I don't want to see a lower standard become the norm in the name of competition, but I fear that might happen if folks feel the pressure too much. I'm worried we may have already lost some brothers due to the pressure of larger vows and feeling like they are going to let people down or something. I don't want to see something like this happen.

I just don't want to see this become something that is viewed negatively, rather than the positive extolling and support that was occurring during the first of the year. Let's keep everyone positive, even if our points look bleak. I'd rather seen some awesome low points completions happen than people rushing their work just to garner some points.

-----------------

Brother Immolator:

What experience-wise (which I think will be mostly opinion) did you want to know? I haven't played with the new golds yet, but based on the silver metallics, I prefer the new GW ones over the old GW and Vallejo colors. I like the built in range without mixing (although the droppers from Vallejo made it much easier to mix, IMO), I think the shades work better on the new GW colors than the old washes over metallics did, and I like the colors of the new paints over the Vallejo range also, they are less bright, metal flecks-wise, which I like, and the colors of the Vallejo range for metallic silver always looked a little off to me.

Brother Immolator:

What experience-wise (which I think will be mostly opinion) did you want to know? I haven't played with the new golds yet, but based on the silver metallics, I prefer the new GW ones over the old GW and Vallejo colors. I like the built in range without mixing (although the droppers from Vallejo made it much easier to mix, IMO), I think the shades work better on the new GW colors than the old washes over metallics did, and I like the colors of the new paints over the Vallejo range also, they are less bright, metal flecks-wise, which I like, and the colors of the Vallejo range for metallic silver always looked a little off to me.

Which brands golds were more easy to work with (given my experience with the old gw burnished gold i avoid it as hell) and provided the best look.Though your answer pretty much covers me.

A guy at the templar forum chucked out 4 land raiders,a predator and bikes....

Yeah but how do the BT guys even manage to get any completions? I mean, black and white are only 2 colours.....where's the 3rd?

And before I get stomped on by those zealous sons of Sigismund, that was a joke! :lol:

Soooooo with a little dedication my vow should be completed by this weekend. It all depends on how quickly I can work through SGM Azrael. My second Razor will be finished tomorrow, along with the second 5 vets.

Cheers,

Jono

Archived