Greetings from Holy Terra

Hi all,

I'm a complete novice to Games Workshop, I only recently discovered it from borrowing a book from my friend, which turned out to be one of the Horus Heresy series and I was hooked, I have purchased 7 of the books and am currently reading Fulgrim.

I got hooked on the ideals of the Space Marines and want to collect and paint an army of them, my only concern is that I can't connect with any of the current chapters, maybe it's because I'm a newbie :), so I am thinking of creating my own chapter.

I'm soon to purchase my first Tactical squad so any tips and advice are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hail and welcome, brother! If you're new, I advise checking out Lexicanum for information you might want to find out. Be advised it's a wiki, so take everything with a pinch of salt. That said, it's a relatively decent resource and pretty good for a beginner like yourself to check out. :)

Hi all,

I'm a complete novice to Games Workshop, I only recently discovered it from borrowing a book from my friend, which turned out to be one of the Horus Heresy series and I was hooked, I have purchased 7 of the books and am currently reading Fulgrim.

I got hooked on the ideals of the Space Marines and want to collect and paint an army of them, my only concern is that I can't connect with any of the current chapters, maybe it's because I'm a newbie :(, so I am thinking of creating my own chapter.

I'm soon to purchase my first Tactical squad so any tips and advice are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

The best/only piece of advice I can give is to go with what feels right to you. You're bound to be bombarded by people loyal to particular chapters that will tell you why theirs is soooooo much better than any other, then there are those players who will tell you to collect a certain chapter becasue they're 'the only competitive choice and you're a loser of you don't'. It can be bewildering to someone who is new to the hobby let alone new to Space Marines. No one choice is right or wrong; try and have a read through the various codices, see what background appeals to you and then go with it. DIY chapters can be just as brilliant as established chapters. You may also want to take a look at the Chaos Space Marine codex too.

Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the hobby Brother! ;)

Thanks for the welcome Brothers.

have you read the Space Marine codex? Lots of good backgroundinfo and colour schemes for various chapters in there.

I have got that and read it cover to cover, looking at the different chapters shown in there the Raven Guard did appeal to me, but I like the challenge of creating my own army and that is unique to me, and something I can put my own characteristics into.

My army would be based as on a subsequent founding chapter using the Ultramarines gene seed, so they will follow the rules of the Codex Astartes. I am currently working on some fluff for them as I want to have the background in place for them before I start painting and playing with them.

I have got a colour scheme in place but I will post that in the correct area along with the background once I have written it.

Am looking forward to putting my army together and defeating any Xenos scum that stands in the Emperors way!

Welcome. Awesome name. I think I'd be tempted to paint a force of Grey Knights in all different shades of the color and name the army that. ;)

Can't do much beyond echo the others as far as sources of background, being a relative newbie myself. I look forward to seeing the army if you post it someday.

I have just read about the Raven Guard in the lexicanum and have to say I am pretty hooked. I love the Captain Shrike model as well so I feel a Raven Guard army might be on the cards for my first ever venture!

Will eventually look at doing my own chapter but at the moment I'm a Brother of the Raven Guard.

Archived