Ravenwing Alliance...

The Yak

Hope you guys don't mind a Raptor player popping up in your hallowed forum.

I am posting here due to the new allies rules that have been included in 6th ed. I think the allies rules are great for fluffy armies and gamers who concentrate more on making great looking forces as opposed to unbeatable cheese patrols. On this note I have come seeking advice from members of the 1st legion.

I am keeping to the fluff for my Raptors force and it will eventually consist of large numbers of scouts, land speeder storms and land speeders. With the new allies rules I was considering adding the master of the Ravenwing in his landspeeder as a counts as Landspeeder strike force commander. I am aware of the basic rules for him (TL assault cannons, TL heavy bolters and AV 14) but I was wondering if taking him opens up a variation on the FOC? If I can take some fast attack elements such as bikes or more landspeeders then it would be a great addition to my army and keep to the Raptors combat doctrine.

Also if anyone can offer advice on using him in this guise as opposed to the jetbike it would be really useful. This would not be for a tournament army just an extension to my standard force so I am not to bothered about cost efficiency etc.

Thanks in advance

PS: I hope this is the right place to post this and wish not to get into trouble with members of the unforgiven

Cheers

Haven't seen such a nice adress to the Unforgiven for a long time. Thanks, brother.

Well, first of all. Sammael ist actually changing the Bike Squadrons and makes them be troops. Therefore you can play the whole content of the current Ravenwing Battleforce as one troop choice (Trike and land speeder act as seperate units, though). You can also play less of course. e.g. just 3 or 6 bikes.

I think, nobody would be offended if you'd put Sammael on a normal bike cause this actually weakens him. But the Landspeeder's also a fine option.

But be careful by choosing DA as allies. They have a strong tendency to leave their allies during a battle if they need to hunt a Fallen. :)

As far as I am aware, I don't think that you are able to use named characters in an allied force - just more generic HQs. Which would, strictly-speaking, mean that you would not be able to include Sammael (regardless of whether he was 'counts-as' or not).

That said, I am yet to read the rulebook, so don't quote me on that - I think it was mentioned on the GW site in their 'What's New Today' report on Allies...

Either way, welcome to the First Company forums.

But be careful by choosing DA as allies. They have a strong tendency to leave their allies during a battle if they need to hunt a Fallen. :(

Hmm, you're transmission appears to have been garbled by the Warp, Brother Barachiel. See to your Astropath.

The First Legion is always willing to provide aid to the Astartes of other Chapters. Rumors to the contrary are the work of heretical agents of the False Gods. ;)

All assertions regarding implications of disloyalty sons of the Lion may have shown erstwhile allies are to be taken as false slanders upon the character of the 1st Legion. Disregard them as befitting the lies of the enemy.

Thought for the Day: The enemy of victory is questioning.

As far as I am aware, I don't think that you are able to use named characters in an allied force - just more generic HQs. Which would, strictly-speaking, mean that you would not be able to include Sammael (regardless of whether he was 'counts-as' or not).

That said, I am yet to read the rulebook, so don't quote me on that - I think it was mentioned on the GW site in their 'What's New Today' report on Allies...

So far as I know and have heard from the rules preview my GW store had, there's no restriction like that. HQs are HQs, other than the Unique identifier, there's absolutely no difference on type of HQ Azrael, Sammael, or Belial are than that of the Company Master entry - well, Sammael isn't an Independent Character. They are all just HQs and can be taken in any game and all I've seen of the Allies requirement is just one HQ being selected, with no mention of "Unique" designated characters not being allowed to be chosen. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to even hold my own order yet. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies Brothers.

I like the sound of being able to take Sammael in his Landspeeder and a ravenwing strike force as my allies. I did not want to include a landraider in my force as I felt it was too static for the kind of army I envisage. Having a mini flying landraider might work well though :tu:

I wonder how sammael's speeder will be affected in 6th. Will his force shield thingy grant additional hull points I wonder.

Cheers

PS: Also I got a strange transmission through earlier, something about hunting fallen. Could you clarify what this means? A couple of my scouts encountered what we thought was a stranded Dark Angel recently but on approaching him he shot 4 scouts dead with his ornate pistols and vanished. The fifth scout recovered what looks to be some kind of archaic sword with Dark Angel Iconography upon it. My astropaths have sent a message to the inquisition regarding this matter so I am sure the misunderstanding will be resolved.

Greetings brother Yak. I'm your friendly neighborhood interrogator chaplain. If you'd please step into this holding cell... errrr... guest room, i'd gladly answer all of your questions about that sword and mysterious figure....

Also, happy 1-month board birthday Yak

I hadn't noticed it was a special occasion! Great, what a way to spend my one month birthday locked in an interrogation chamber...

I think I will wait until your new codex comes out before deciding on allies. I hope they bring back Scout Sergeant Naaman in some guise as I would happily include him, some scouts (if they get assigned to the troops section) and Sammael.

Thanks for all your help and I will leave you too your secrets..... as all chapters have them. Here is one from my own Chapter, we once had a captain who had a back banner! Can you believe it, it was so embarrassing, you could spot him from miles away.

Archived