Still no love for the Captain

Red Fury

Since this has kinda turned into a mourning for FC and a booing of new PW rules I'd like to point out that Dante will likely be striking at I1 since he's armed with an Axe. Only the plus side he has a higher Strength.

In my opinion not good enough since Astorath is higher strength and would be Initiative 5.

So here's my take on Captains, provided what I've read is all true.

ICs can issue challenges, and be challenged. Any character (including Sergeants and the like) can be challenged by an IC, but can't issue challenges themselves.

Captains are still I5 if you take the Power Sword, compared to various other characters. AP 2 is debatable, but AP3 will do against MEQ.

Sergeants pulled over from 3rd Edition under the TAR, all the way thru 5th, are likely to be carrying Power Fists. PFs mean they strike at I1.

So during a game, the Captain and another squad all charge an MEQ squad. Its sergeant has the obligatory PF. The Captain calls out the Sergeant, and proceeds to slice him up for the blood drinking rituals that night. PF gets no attacks back, because the Seargant has just become a steak dinner. The same is true for an MEQ Sergeant with a Power Sword, because of the initiative difference.

Did anyone else see the same potential for a Captain?

Edit: I wouldn't try this on anything with I5 or higher. The Eldar, ICs with I5 or higher, and some Daemons will really mess up a Captain who tries it.

Exactly my point. Who cares if the reclusiarch is "better" when his crozius is AP4 now. It makes even lemartes into a questionable choice. I'm not holding my breath for astorath and Dante not getting nerfed to I1, so the captain is one of the few options left if we are to stick with codex BA. Higher I is a nice edge and definitely something that will be missed. Striking at the same time isn't good enough as I probably want to survive and fight more than one combat per game with most units.

Exactly my point. Who cares if the reclusiarch is "better" when his crozius is AP4 now. It makes even lemartes into a questionable choice. I'm not holding my breath for astorath and Dante not getting nerfed to I1, so the captain is one of the few options left if we are to stick with codex BA. Higher I is a nice edge and definitely something that will be missed. Striking at the same time isn't good enough as I probably want to survive and fight more than one combat per game with most units.
Well, I wouldn't call a Reclusiarch a necessarily bad choice. The increased strength and "not too horrible" AP could be worth it, even against some MEQ builds. You could use him to put some serious hurt on squads that aren't supposed to fight in CC, especially if put in with a small unit of bikes or jump packers.

If nothing else, its an excuse to put a power sword on your devastator sergeants. Never can tell when a blood-crazed high-initiative multiple-attacks nutball is going to come flying in looking for trouble.

Astorath definetly qualifies under unusal weapons, Dante is hopeful.

Lemartes Blood Crozius counting as a power maul is awesome though, even at Ap4.

Well, I wouldn't call a Reclusiarch a necessarily bad choice. The increased strength and "not too horrible" AP could be worth it, even against some MEQ builds. You could use him to put some serious hurt on squads that aren't supposed to fight in CC, especially if put in with a small unit of bikes or jump packers.

Considering how common 3+ is I personally feel like AP4 is almost like no ap at all. There are very few things that we actually struggle with that doesn't wear power armor or better. Spending loads on a killy character whose opponents will save two thirds of all wounds is not worth it in my book. Lemartes isn't awful as he'll have both a ton of attacks and better chance to get the charge thanks to improved rage.

Archived