BA FORUM 6th Ed. CHALLENGE

Morticon

How did you find the list played differently from 5th Ed? Other than the fist sarge - did you notice anything else?

Also, when your fist sarge dueled ("challenged") the Term Sarge who won? And if you won, do you know that after that challenge there should be no more characters to challenge (duel) with.

Against GK, there weren't so much change in my movement phase due to my list. Half tacticals and devastators shooting, assault, dread and HQ waiting to counter charge.

The shooting however were more interesting as the casaulties come first in front. My oppenent chose to put his psycannons in the back. It allowed me a little more distance before being hurt by them.

In assault, using hammer of wrath against hallberds were funny. Contemptor dread with blood fists did great!

Against the terminator, my four sarges lost their duels. He always picked up his falchions terminators to challenge and with hammerhand...

I also noticed that you cannot dispel benedictions... Hammerhand getting even more interesting to have...

That's part of what makes Divination so brutal. Prescience is good, Forewarning and Misfortune are both amazing, Foreboding is ok, Perfect Timing is ok, would be better if you could target a friendly unit rather than the one your librarian is in, Precogntion is meh unless you're using a really powerful psyker like Mephiston, in which case its awesome, and Scrier's Gaze is good for heavy reserve armies, and if you're playing with mysterious terrain. Because 6 of the 7 are Blessings (not misfortune), there's not a thing your opponent can do about it. Compare that to Telepathy, where only 2 of the 7 are blessings, and your opponent gets a shot at shutting you down. If blessings do become awesome, there might be a case for taking SW or Eldar allies (SW to rune-priest it, Eldar to make your opponents head pop if they try it).

It also looks like 2+ is the way to go. I fully expect Deathwing and GK to be top dog for a while, with Sanguinary Guard a close third thanks to no invulnerable save, and a (comparative) lack of AP2 combat weapons, which is made up for by superior mobility and access to feel no pain.

I came to very similar conclusions as you mort.

Los is a big advantage if its an ic. Only light at the endof the tunnel is that that special character will be taking all the flak and if one rolle, or i suppose 2 given los goes wrong the character is taking wounds. It is a little stupid imagining draigo dodgingleft and right trying to catch every bullet through at his squad. Not sure they intended that kind of but it is what will happen.

I play BA for the fun and fluff and look of the gorgeous models but i played space wolves for a numberof years in tournies. I tested out that army too this weekend and in all honesty its more brutal than before.

Wolf lords on thunderwolves running around with 2+/3++ ripping things to shreds. Arjac is unstoppable in challenges. If you charge a grey hunter unit you first get overwatched then countercharged. They are better than you on the defensive and offensive. Their counter to pyschic powers is all powerful, lone wolves are awesome and wolf guard in termie army can joun long fangs stand at the front and give the LF pack a 2+ cover save. My wolves are far stronger than my BAs.

Still im going towork at it as there is lotsto like in the BA dex.

So about a week ago I played in a Goodbye to 5th Ed tournament and I played my standard 2000 point list. Due to a bad matchup in the last round vs Daemon and his ability to tarpit my Dreadnoughts I could not pull out a win. Thus leading me to stay in 3rd place.

Standard List

Librarian - Sword/ Shield

Librarian - Sword/ Shield

Librarian Dreadnought - Wings/ Shield

RAS - RB TLAC

RAS - RB TLAC

RAS - RB TLAC

RAS - RB TLAC

RAS - RB TLAC

RAS - RB TLAC

Baal Pred - TLAC

Baal Pred - TLAC

Baal Pred - Flamestorm

So the first match up was against a necron player and I massacarred getting full points for the match by turn 5.

During the second match I played against a Grey Knight Player that I had barely pulled out a Massacre after Perils on all four of my dreadnoughts and him getting an immobile result on all three.

The last match was against a daemons player that I was not happy playing against. I could only get a draw against him and causing me to drop to third place in points.

I will be playing the same list for the 6th Ed tournament just to see the difference in the two list, but I am really tempted to change the list up and take more librarians. I will try to keep it the same but after playing so many games in sixth ed I think I will have to change to survive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So I've played 3 games of 6th now (2 vs nids and 1 vs orks) and I pulled out 1 win and 2 losses. I've been using the same 1500 point list for a while now with moderate success.

Libby w Sanguine Sword & Unleash Rage

HG w champ in HB Razor

Furioso Dread, blood talons

Priest

9 assault marines (fist, hand flamer, flamer) in rhino

10 assault marines (fist, melta gun x2) in rhino

6 scouts (sniper and HB)

6 scouts (sniper and missile)

Speeder w MM & HF

Pred w Auto & Lass x2

I won't go in to huge detail but my 1st game we made a few mistakes. Like giving cover saves to units half in cover which helped him a lot since he had stealth - ruins and 3 units of stealers. Also not using the 3D6 to charge in/out of cover. My second game he had 2 tervigons and said at the end that he had produced a record amount of gaunts out of all his games previous. I must have killed 60 of them and I'm not joking. It was objectives and he had 2 and I had 1 at the end. My 3rd game vs orks I played the mission where the objectives are worth different pts and won.

Now the meat. The things I learned from the battles.

1. Vehicles took quite a hit, I think I'll keep the preds for shooting but anything else that has to get up close and personal like flame Baals is a horrible idea. They die so fast in assault. Auto hit if they didn't move and hit on a 3+ if moved 1" or more.

2. I'm torn between keeping in my dread because in one turn it took 3 glances from hive guard and died. In the past I took EA and got a 4+ save from smoke (which is now a 5+).

3. The ability not to assault out of a rhino (even if it hasn't moved) it a big game changer for me.

4. Precision strike on snipers is nice to put wounds on nobs with fists when they are in a 27 ork strong mob.

5. Watch out for genestealers, now broodlords can take a base psychic power (I forget which one) with gives them the ability to make you take a LD test on 3D6 and for each point over your LD you take a S6 AP3 hit no cover saves allowed. He did this to a squad of 10 of my assault marines and 6 were instantly vaped.

6. I think a priest is still viable (I've always keep mine with just a pistol and chainsword). Sure he isn't as strong but any chance to get another save (verses just about anything) is a boon.

That's about it for now. Over all I think I like 6th. Positioning units is more of a factor than ever before (don't lead with your characters!). As I play more games the more things will come up. I'm not looking to facing my buddies Imotech list as night fight is strong.

Corb

Hi ya Mort,

Well I'd love to use some DC with jet packs (and of course a chappy) the boost to rage is great. 5 attacks and Hammer of Wrath on the charge. Very nice. But they are expensive so maybe just having some on foot would do as a majority of my games are at 1500. Maybe with bolters maybe without. :(

I think a 3 man squad of attack bikes with heavy bolters would be cool. Don't see them very often do ya? :(

Also some pics coming soon. The 2 assault squads above are 99% done painted.

Take care,

Corb

Archived